Masters Running

State of the Union Tuesday, 2.12.13 (Read 44 times)

Henrun

JLynne- I know how you feel - I was depressed after 2 months of very little running and difficulty even walking- my back being the major culprit- but a combination of PT and acupuncture has done the trick. My depression lifted as soon I got back on the road sans pain.

Had my final acupuncture session this morning . Just returned from a slow but satisfying 4 miler. Sun was out and it was low 40's but most roads are still messy post blizzard. Decided to run Heartbreak Hill which is always well plowed and has little traffic.

Holly S. well if I knew what my DW ate I would just make it!  Women!  Huh!  Wink  The problem is/was I am getting the "I do not know what I want but <whatever I name> I do not really want that" answer.

After some serious discussion my DW and I settled on short ribs.  They go well with red wine and that seemed to clinch the deal.  We will have that with garlic mashed potatoes (I would add chipotles in adobo sauce but that got nixed).  Now I need to figure out a green to make with them.  She is not a big fan of root vegetables which is what one would normally make this time of year so that is a problem.  There is a pear salad she likes.  I guess that will do if the pears ripen in time.

It looks like tomorrow is another work from home day.  They are still encouraging people to stay away from New Haven if they can.  Apparently, many streets are hardly plowed and the parking garages are difficult to get to and the total spots reduced by the fact that the rooftop parking is only good for snowmobiles at the moment.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Some great runs today. I was too lazy this morning after a bad sleep so went out after work and did a tempoish run. 1k warm up, then 3X1K with 3 minute slow jog in between...not sure the heart and lungs will ever be the same after the AF but the legs were good and I must be getting in better shape as I am sweating better and for me that is a good sign.

Tomorrow night I get to do a speech in front of 400 people at the United Way Charity Kick Off. My company is the main sponsor..should be fun.

Take care everyone.

Recent Best times: None recently

Hi all,

Healing vibes to all those that are injured and sick and kudos to everyone sticking with their running plans.

Since I didn't take notes, I can't remember all the witty things I thought of to post.  I do know that tomwhite is crazy to ride a bike 30 miles in the wind in this weather!  I confess that I haven't been running.  January seemed like a good month to go through my fabric and yarn stash.  I've made a few quilts and several hats and mittens.  Now my mojo is back and I got out for a run tonight.  Actually, I went out for a walk on my morning break.  It was nice and sunny and not too windy but the ice on the sidewalks was trecherous.  I did that airplane moved a few times and then resigned myself to the Minnesota shuffle.  I "ran" about 2 miles at 4pm when I got home from work.  I hope to go longer tomorrow, maybe even around the lake.

This morning MrStarr told me that Smokey, the puppy, was in the kennel and to leave Bandit loose in the house (she's the good dog).  This was at 6:30 and he had his workout clothes on and was going to the YMCA!  Our membership actually expired last Friday but he's finally decided to get in shape and eat right.  I'm glad that they let him in!  Now I think it will be easier to work together to deal with his diabetes and heart issues. At least his hip is good as new and the prostate cancer is gone.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Have you noticed that the Weather Channel doesn't do local weather anymore?

I look at weather.com most days, but on tv we still have local on the 8's.

6 easy-paced miles for me this morning.

Long day at work - I am off at 5 but I was scheduled with a 5:15 appointment, so I didn't get home until almost 7:15.  Given that I am now salary, I suppose this is what I am supposed to accept for a workday.  However, I intend to make it up on Friday, when I am taking a day off (DD is out of school), by taking fewer PTO hours, so it will all work out in the wash.  Smile

Got home to help DS pack for his trip to Washington DC tomorrow with the Junior Statesmen of America club where they will have a mock Congress and attempt to pass their proposed bills.  The winners will get a true proposal in real Congress, so very exciting.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly S. well if I knew what my DW ate I would just make it!  Women!  Huh!  Wink  The problem is/was I am getting the "I do not know what I want but <whatever I name> I do not really want that" answer.

Big grin  Glad you came to a decision.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Here is where I condense all my thoughts on what's been going on around here lately:

Glad you're ok Carolyn. You too, Ribs. My new grandson will be born next Tuesday (she's being induced). I hope you had a relaxing weekend, Enke. Good job watching for ice Jay, Dave and Kevin. Sorry about your flare-up, TomW. Nice run for you, Tselbs. Holly - be careful on those long runs. Stick with your running partner until they figure out who those dirtbags were. Take care of those lungs, Mariposai. Maine, that deck looks like it's made for partying! Hi Tet! Hey Avenger Dog - did you watch the Westminster Dog Show last night? I'll bet you could have some fun there. Glad you're finally having some decent weather Erika. Twocat, I LOVE salmon on the grill and have some awesome recipes. I agree with your DW. Steak is overrated. Where are you, Slo? Mary, we miss you too.  How about that Pope? Do you think they will replace him with someone under like the age, say, 70?

Big grin

Jlynne, you have the right to be depressed. We "endorphin junkies" really have a tough time when we are not getting our "fix". Heck, I was only not able to run for 9 days and I was going crazy. Do take care and please keep posting daily. This forum is a great anti-depression medicine.

After a monster day at work (I am still trying to catch up from being gone from work last week) I headed to the gym for a slow, but glorious 4 miles on the TM. I have a dream for tomorrow...8 miles ...yeahhhh. brains Joking

Now it is time to bake a German chocolate cake for a fundraiser.  I just love how small communities just gather around people who are in need and help out as needed. A local single mom needs some help, so some local folks are doing a "Bake sale for Valentines day". We are counting on some handsome dudes to buy our gorgeous desserts for their sweeties to help this family out.

Nite  folks

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

We went to the gym today for a quick workout midday, but I was still thinking I'd run after work. Ended up watching the rest of the President's State of the Union speech and the follow up, so had a glass of wine and some Triscuits, so that was all she wrote on that. It's staying light enuf after 5 that I'm going to pack my bag to run outside after work tomorrow! This is a big step and marks the coming of spring better than anything else I know!

Jlynne, I hope your back is ok but just tweaked. Tomwhite, I hope your flare up settles down soon. Hang in there everyone else!

arf

MM #405

It's staying light enuf after 5 that I'm going to pack my bag to run outside after work tomorrow! This is a big step and marks the coming of spring better than anything else I know!

Erika - I totally agree!   Come onnnnnnn spring!

Starr - Hi !!!!!!!!   wow it is great to know you are here!   Just like old times!  Hope everything is 100 % with you!

Posie - listen to those precious lungs girl.   good luck on the 8 miler if you feel strong enough

{Tomwhite} - I notice several are doing acupuncture.....have you ever tried it?

Ribs - Good that your groin is behaving

{{ Jlynne }}  I'm so sorry about your friend

Tammy - Belly rubs for silly Bella

No run just an hour of cycling today

Good night all  sleep tight

SteveP

(((((Jlynne)))))

Tammy, maybe we could get Westminster to add a category: "Best Plain Ol' Goof"

I had to provide documentation that I do not have any restrictions from the heart tests last week. I understand. The hospital needed me to come pick the info up in person and show photo ID. I understand that as well. Back at the shop, I'm flipping though pages looking for what the employer needs and I see a line:"Mr. P is a very pleasant 51 year old male.....". Whom ever wrote that probably isn't the person who kept responding to the call light when I was screaming for a sponge bath. Sadly, Nurse "Bubba" came in to satisfy the request.

SteveP