Sundailies 2/10/19 (Read 39 times)

...cold,

wet

and

generally Nasty here

...30-min x-bike.......

hitting the pool tomorrow

...............Good Running to Ya......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It’s hard to imagine being anywhere near henrun

without, at least, saying, “hello.”
      six miles - on the eighth day of the winter-that-will-never-end in the PNW that started during the second half of the Super Bowl and still counting down for at least another week of the longest sub-freezing, snow-friendly temps ever, ventured out over to the hillside park and through the winter wonderland woods under snowy bows of branches arching over the trails to the grocery store’s freshly stocked shelves for carrots needed by 14 still noseless Frostie’s in the yard (plus DW’s requisitions) - 6 miles and 800 barely visible stairs under the packed and unpacked now for main 305 stairs and five middle sets, respectively, in two-and-a-half, figure-eighting miles with only two minor slips and but one ambulance-category upender in even icier grocery store parking lot, . . . to the gasps of other shoppers, . . . and accolades upon managing to stay upright, after all, at the last second, . . . thanks to trekkking poles.  

No wind or resultant wind chill whatsoever but, though temps remained a constant 27oF throughout, if the half-hour of brilliant sunshine would’ve lasted any longer, gloves and jacket would’ve been soon shed. Does Heat Index work in the winter?  Light-weight, insulated hiking trousers so no need for my black Duofold-brand tights.  

Got back just in time to see alpine skiing goddess for more than ten years, Lindsey Vonn’s final World Cup Race as she retires after today’s downhill competition in Sweden.  Oddly enough, no mention of course elevation drop, length, top speeds, etc.

ps - actually a number of us got to run “with” MikeE
      at the 2016 Portland Marathon RA Reunion, . . . .

in a mass violation of rule no. 1.
      name        time        OA
      MikeE  3:29:31        368
      me        6:07:35     3844

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Out for my 3.1 lake loop this morning.  I will have to find a different viscosity measurement, as today's pace was barely over 10 m/m.  27 degrees and I hit the dressing part just right, so very comfortable.

Then this afternoon Maggie and I hit one of the parks in town to see how much energy I could burn off.  Need to develop Steve's skill with picture taking on the trails, but she's still on leash and I find it hard to single hand while negotiating rocks and roots.  So I think Maggie has a bit of mountain goat somewhere in her mix--she loved bounding around on the boulders.  I survived following her.  She'snow sound asleep on the couch with DW.

Hope Jay got his nap--I have to start on dinner in a bit.

Quick--yes, glad to hear that both afib and meds have been cleared up.  with the number of pills that I take every morning, I wonder occasioanly about that, but my three main docs (heart, general, and gout) seem to be very strict on checking meds list every visit.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

20 degrees with a windchill of 8 meant Misha and I got a mile in, then yoga for me.  She only knows downward dog so mostly just observes yoga time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

with only two minor slips and but one ambulance-category upender in even icier grocery store parking lot, . . . to the gasps of other shoppers, . . . and accolades upon managing to stay upright, after all, at the last second, . . . thanks to trekkking poles.  

Whew!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

ps - actually a number of us got to run “with” MikeE
              at the 2016 Portland Marathon RA Reunion, . . . .

in a mass violation of rule no. 1.

"Looked like drowned rats" fairly describes everyone's appearance when they returned to the house we were all staying at.    A good job staying your feet, Tet!

Had fun at the dinner last night.  Went with the associate attorney I've been working with on the MJ permitting.  Finally met in person a number of folks I've been talking to on the phone and via email the last 3+ years.

Two interesting things came out of the dinner: (1) Ends up the husband of one of the ladies used to work with The Hub years ago.  Small world. And (2) The associate attorney has decided he wants to escape Humboldt.  He's had 6 interviews that haven't panned out, but I applaud his decision.  He's still young and doesn't have a family to take care of.  He said something about timing and I told him the right time will be when he's offered a position. He needs to take a leap a faith and go for it.  Of course, everyone is interested in his knowledge of MJ permitting, but I sincerely hope wherever he ends up, that's not his only area of practice.

What I find interesting is the partners know he is looking for a job but haven't made any decisions/taken any steps to bring someone else in to start learning the MJ stuff.  Although no one seems to want to admit it, it is its own department and he has a very large caseload with basically no support staff since I am doing my best to jump ship.  If he up and finds a job, say, next month, the office will be screwed.  Last year that dept out-billed 4 other attorneys in the office.  To lose that area of practice would be a huge blow.

But, as they say, those decisions are above my pay grade.

It snowed in Eureka last night!  In the 31+ years we've lived here, it has snow in Eureka 4 or 5 times.  We took a snow drive up Kneeland (in the hills above Eureka) and it looks like that area got 2-3". Below is a pic of the back of a Sheriff's car in McKinleyville last night.  McKinleyville is where the dinner was, and when we left around 10:00, the rain was turning slushy:

Image may contain: snow and outdoor

Below is a pic a running cohort took while she and her husband were running in one of my absolute favorite places, Headwaters.  *sigh* I would've loved to have had a snow run today.

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Joe618

Evening all!   so much to comment on but this'll be quick.

Karen, glad the face is resolving...patience, eh?   Cooking class sounds like a nice diversion and chatting up (as opposed to cutting up) the chancery court judge may be quite helpful for your daughter.  A tasty connection   :-)

Tet, I'm astounded at your survival/coping in all the snow ya'll are getting in the PNW.   Good on you and glad you are vertical.

Leslie, that Headwater Trail pic is MARVELOUS!!  Wow, I can instantly see the appeal!!!

Falcon, I've run USAF Marathon twice.   Bonked very badly the first time, got back on the horse and ran it a few years ago as part of a double marathon weekend...it was marathon #50 for me, then did #51 the next day in suburban Chicago.   USAFM is a tough course around Writght-Patt and can be quite warm in late September, so it's a demanding race.   Some very long walks as well from parking area to start/finish area.    And the aircraft are awesome and it would be super cool to have a marathon medal with an airframe you know inside and out.

Schedule called for a 15 mile long run today.   Had a number of commitments at church and with my DW, so it was around 3pm by the time I could get out.   And, by then, we had a steady snowfall coming down.  So I donned the screw shoes and headed out.   No plows through yet, so I found tire tracks in the street to follow but it was slick.  Could not keep the required pace either...it was a lot of work.   So, I ultimately decided to keep the powder dry and live to fight another day.   Ended up with a little over 11 tough miles.    I'm learning so much during this training cycle.

Back to the battles tomorrow.   Just glad our shop doesn't sell chain saws 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Maybe I should see about buying a chainsaw for those days when . . . Are really small body parts difficult to dispose of? Just curious.

I just came by to report that I ran a whole 1.5 miles straight today. Yep, no stopping. Not even once. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I just came by to report that I ran a whole 1.5 miles straight today. Yep, no stopping. Not even once. 

You're on your way!

Even though I'm not thrilled with seeing that time, again, it sure brings back good memories of the Portland Marathon meetup.

I am wiped out.  We got another 4"+ inches of snow, so I spent some time shoveling my driveway, Eric's driveway, and Mikey's in-law's driveway...although they were just about done by the time Ryan and I got there.  Mikey's father-in-law just had shoulder surgery and he asked if I would check on them, since they only live about 15 minutes away from me.  Sure enough, his FIL was out there shoveling with one hand while his wife was running the snow blower.  We took away his shovel and finished the job.

Before all of that I did my strength workout on the treadmill.  3 x 2 at a 6:40 pace with a 1/2 mile easy run between.  With warmup and cool down, I did 9 miles.  I was scheduled to do this workout, tomorrow, but I want to go to my granddaughter's basketball game and Ryan's girlfriend is flying in from Portland, tomorrow.  So--I did it, today.

Okay--that's about all I got.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Completely overlooked the naming the car thing.  We've used <DW's name>'s car, Falconfixer's car, the Crosstour, the CR-V, the Pilot....you get the idea....a lot of Hondas!

Holly, if I get there this year (leaning that way...depends on things at work (such as where I am) and DW may accompany me (truth be told, she has threatened that several times but has never gone to one of my marathons) but thank you, we'll try and do that.

Joe, yeah--the weather in Dayton is iffy in mid-September.  One year it was hot (two members of our group, husband and wife, were later found by us side-by-side on stretchers getting IV's...they were holding hands--for you former RW Master's forum folks, it was Marshrunner and his Warrior Princess).  Other year was pretty nice, mid 50s at the start.  Even some cloud cover for the first 13 miles or so.  That was the year of the B-2 (from Whiteman AFB) and I was fortunate to be selected for the base team (as were several other reservists).  The first 5 miles or so (and the last 5 miles or so) have a lot of ups and downs.  The base itself isn't too bad, mostly flat, and quite dull....unless you're a maintenance officer!  There is a similar race at Warner Robins AFB in GA.  Two laps.  Much more flat with a couple of short, fairly steep, hills late in each lap.

Love those pictures, Leslie.  It looks gorgeous.

Twocat- great progress.    I know where you can get a good chainsaw!

Joe- it’s so hard to do long runs outside at this time of year.  Good job on getting the 11- especially starting late in the day.

I did get to the gym and started back with weights.  I don’t want to get too sore, so I went pretty light.  At least it’s a start.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

I'd like to run the Air Force Marathon some time, but it's always the third Saturday in September. Same as my favorite (and so far, only) local marathon. <<Equinox>>  (I'm trying that Tet thing with the << >> but not sure I got it)

Good job on getting what you could, Joe. I'm in the same boat today, although our conditions were about as winter IRC as you could get.

Yay, Twocat! You're making great progress. And as long as you have dumpsters in your area (or better yet, not your immediate area), the small parts should be no problem to dispose of.

The idea of asking someone what they're going to do with their chainsaw when they buy it is pretty funny to me. Most people here have chainsaws, and when they don't (or don't work), you can rent them from Home Depot. I can't imagine using one to cut up a body though, ewww what a mess! (Fargo, ha!)

Got out for my long run today with the goal of 15-16 miles. Was doing good and on track for 16 but after mile 10 my leg started really bothering me, and by the last mile it was affecting my gait. So, pulled the plug at 13.5. It's so frustrating though, because the temps were perfect at around 20° and the paths had all been plowed really well. Oh well, as Joe said, pick your battles and live to fight (or run!) another day, right? I'll take tomorrow off, and maybe Tuesday. And take some naproxen. I haven't taken anything for it yet so need to try that for a bit. 46.1 for the week.

If you're interested, here's the Relive video of my run. Funny that it always looks like summer in these things.

Another easy 5 to finish up my rest week.

I braved the 50 degree sunny weather with a sweatshirt. I did not get hypothermia.

We have at least another week and a half of chilly weather ahead. I'm daydreaming of long runs in the desert heat of UT and AZ.

Back in the saddle for another 8-week race prep (I had 8 weeks to get ready for the 50k after a few weeks of less than 15 miles...). I'm shooting for a sub 20 5k in April. There's a decent certified 5k fun-run in SF every Saturday morning at Crissy Field, so I won't have to hunt for a race. Dropping the significant other off at the airport tonight for another 10 day NYC fashion junket. That means it will be a little less hectic at home for a while.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, that picture of the trail at Headwaters is STUNNING!  I'd love to come run it with you when you're back to running again!  And the sheriff's car pic is cute!

Joe, I've been having the same trouble getting in long miles on snowy roads and trails.  Good job on the 11 miles - that probably counts for 15!

Twocat - Yay!  A whole mile and a half!

Erika - I hope your leg is okay!  How did you pull the plug early? Were you running laps, or did your DH come get you?

Jay - I love the cows named Lunch and Dinner!

Holly - nice long run!  That must have been weird running back and forth on the short un-flooded section by the river.  I loved running on your river path when I was there!

Henrun and Marj - sounds like you guys are having a great vacation! Besides the suffering with the wine and sunsets...

Our trails are kind of a mess now - muddy down lower and deep snow around here, so I opted to do my 20 miler today on a dirt road that runs from the town of Rollinsville, CO up to the Moffat train tunnel and back.  The tunnel runs under the divide and comes out in Winter Park on the other side. That part was only 16 miles, so I tacked on another 4 miles on an unplowed 4wd road that goes up to Corona Pass - I've run there many times in the summer.  The 4wd road had lots of ski tracks and was pretty runnable.  It was a bluebird day, with temps in the 20s at the start and mid 30s at the end. Here are a few pictures.  I love Colorado!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Quickadder

30 degrees hotter today than yesterday’s 38F. With some mental agility at the end I succeeded in getting 9.53 miles at 9:53 average pace.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47