Masters Running

Sunday Morning 11/25/18 (Read 44 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Not anyone's fault here, but because of the comments on yesterday's thread, we watched Buster Scruggs and I felt a little like I wasted 2 hours.  I guess there is always one dull, unintellectual person in every group. 

I think I outdid you there, Dave - we watched one of those Hallmark Channel Christmas movies.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Busy, busy people here!!

Jay - if you had breakfast with your DH this morning, you might have some 'splaining to do to your DW 

MikeE - I love that pic of Ryan - so much joy in that photo!!

I wanted to run longish this morning, but just didn't think TwoCat would approve of 40 degrees with rain so I went to the gym instead!!

45 min spin class, 1.2 miles treadmill, 45 min Body Pump

Went for a fabulous brunch (still no calorie cutting) with girl friends I grew up then took my mil out for a couple errands. Some days are harder than others for her - I could tell she was wandering around the store with that blank stare not remembering why she wanted to shop --- so sad!!

At least I can redirect her easily right now and she did better in the 2nd store. She just likes getting out of the house some days.

Now time for mass -- I like the sermons about being thankful and the reminder that while we are giving thanks we can't hold on to anger.

denise

spacityrunner

Still feeling stuffed like a turkey.  Headed for the mountains early this morning for some warm miles with friends.  Helped at the Adoption center walking the dogs this afternoon.  Then did a few neighborhood miles this evening in gale force winds.  What a difference a few hours makes.

Trails Rock!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, fairly short post.  I'm back in Prattville (just north of Montgomery) and the stuff is out of my car and in the apartment.  7 miles this morning, last run in the neighborhood for a couple of weeks anyway.  9 min/mile pace.  Overcast at the start then it cleared.  Also one last walk before driving south.  Trip wasn't too bad, especially for a heavy travel day.  Still took me less than 3.5 hours.  Still need to iron my uniform and make something to eat so....

Holly, as I said yesterday, I'm not a dog person...but Rudy is very cute.

Have a greta night everyone.

Joe618

Still need to iron my uniform and make something to eat so....

Squared away, Falcon...go for it this week.

Got in 5+ miles in 53F temps this afternoon...so nice to be out in mild temps.   Set to have snow on the ground in the morning.

Have a greta week, everyone.   Some of us are back to work tomorrow!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, what a great picture of Ryan!

Holly, that's one cute pup you have there.

We celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday with DD and DSIL (they had other plans on Thursday but came up to our house for the weekend).  DD cooked us a delicious vegan feast - some of the traditional Thanksgiving food, like green beans, carrots, mashed  potatoes, and cranberries, but instead of turkey she made a lentil loaf, which had mushrooms, celery, onions, flax, and walnuts. And vegan pumpkin pie for dessert!

Today it was 11°F when I got up, with 2-3 inches of new snow, but I planned to meet friends for a run, so I bundled up and went.  We did a 4.5 mile trail that was new to me, and it was close to 30°F over at the trailhead, so not bad except for the wind.  Then I came home and did yoga with DD.

Here's a picture of me and my friends tying for first place at the Thanksgiving turkey trot 5k:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

spacityrunner

Love that picture of you wild.

Trails Rock!

Mariposai

What a fun picture of my birthday sister, Wildchild at the finish line. Inspirational.

I keep smiling every time I think of the picture of MikeE's son while racing that was posted today...I want to keep that kind of fun and joyful spirit during all my runs and racing.

Today I was able to get in my first double digits post marathon a month ago (12 miles, first 5 with the EP). With my next marathon being in late May, 2019, I just don't see the need nor the urge to run high number miles for the next few months. For now I will concentrate in getting a 25 mile week plus some XT. Ski season is just around the corner, it is time to work on the quads Smile.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sorry, to bother you again...

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, bridge, outdoor and water

Mike - please let me know who said your posts are a bother.

(not that I want to know what they said about me)

Photo-Hall-of-Fame
                    MikeE - excellent photo of Ryan’s 2:58 run.
                    Were you already ahead of him?

Not many times the photog is able to set up out of the shadows

and in the sun with no clouds plus having something other

than a forward facing grimace on the early runners.
                    Otherwise, it deserves ranking in the RA Photo Hall of Fame

along with henrun-and-marge at the BM, Holly and Wildchild’s Moab

and, of course your cruisin’ around the corner with Ryan,

plus, if Boomers count, Rosie’s RS, one of the first running skirts.

ps - no wonder Ryan’s so happy.  
                    He beat no. 254 by seven minutes.
                    good job to both of you.
                    Seattle-Marathon-2018 in the sun
                    With first three miles in the fog, next 18 in Wildchild’s TT-like sunshine

on abundant fallen yellow leaves to crunch through before getting clouds

predicted since Friday took over.

Seattle Marathon results (censored)
                    I’d love to post this year’s results but since I don’t brag and, even if I did brag, I don’t have anything to brag about my slow running but, if I did have anything to brag about, it would be today's 6:31:24, fifty-five minutes faster than last year’s 7:26:25 and nearly an hour-and-a-half faster than the Yakima River Canyon Marathon in April in 7:57:38 pretty much dooming my marathon career, . . . OR SO I THOUGHT!  Yippee!    

I was born hungry.  My stomach apparently lacks any sort of an off switch..

ps twocat - me too, all my life, until something
                    happened when I got into my seventies <<<(10lbs/10lbs)>>>

pss- even though I’m slow, last month’s Carkeek 12-hour
                    Fun Run and today’s 6.5 hour SM extravaganza are helping
                    keep it abated.

I discovered that one of the local squirrels has figured out how to defeat the squirrel baffle.

I've tried WD-40 too, even on a ten-foot PCV pipe but, in order to position it close enough to the window to see the blue jays, flickers, etc., the squirrels could jump down from the roof or a nearby cherry tree in between the upward and downward baffles above-and-below the seed station so I created a platform with corn-on-the-cob and the boxes of acorns I sweep up for free along local streets to distract the squirrels from the bird seed feeders.  It kind of worked but doesn't matter as we've kind of gotten to like the squirrels too.  Oddly enough, they don't like the chestnuts that are also abundant.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Jay - if you had breakfast with your DH this morning, you might have some 'splaining to do to your DW 

Snork! Yep, I thought the same thing! And it looks like Joe repeated his post from yesterday?

Tet! Congrats on your improved time at the Seattle Marathon! Sounds like the weather was really good, sort of like our 2007 running of it?

Great picture, Wildchild!

I didn't get in here yesterday to post my run, just too much going on after I got home. But it was 6.3 miles after spending about 90 minutes trimming and cleaning up my Boston Ferns at my office. The run was kind of hard because a lot of the paths hadn't been plowed. But of course, when I was finishing up the last mile, the guy with the plow showed up.  Oh well, at least it'll be done for a few days as we don't have more snow in the forecast for a few days.

Today's run was a struggle, probably because of the hour of snow shoveling and hard pack removal from the driveway I did Saturday morning. Glutes were tired, back a little sore but other than that none the worse for wear. It was a little breezy so glad I had my face mask, with temps starting around 15° and dropping to about 9° at the finish. Got a little chilled at the end and my mitts actually started freezing up the last few miles. Still, got it done for 20.2 miles with lots of walking breaks, but fewer "stops" than some of my past long runs have had. Glad that's done. 50.9 miles for the week and now a short taper before Rehoboth Marathon on Dec. 8. Looking forward to backing off a bit after that!