Masters Running

Saturday, 1.7.17 (Read 35 times)

Quick.post before we start watching a movie.

Today is day 6 of my Whole30 eating plan, no dairy, grains, sugars, legume said or alcoho for 30 days. I went to the Y to Swim-Bike-Run but had to skip the run. I know it takes a while to switch to burning fat for energy but I was drained after 7 laps (1st swim in a year) and 9.3 on the bike.

I dozed by the fire reading a book and being lazy this afternoon. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so plan to run then. See ya.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E love that story!

Like the area that TammyinGP lives in we  had a lot of snow come down today and the roads were/are really slick. My DW and I attempted a 3 or 4 mile drive to the movie theater and gave up after about a half mile. Instead we rented a couple of movies and watched with the fire going in the fireplace. The snow and cold ended up canceling the 10k race I planned to run tomorrow. They are rescheduling it to next Sunday. Unfortunately, I will be gone skiing. Yes, tough but somebody has to do it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Late to post, but I did want to say that I am so glad all together we added up some serious miles on this forum.

Me? I ran my longest distance after Portland Marathon, 11 miles on the TM for my wings and I am very happy for it.

Other than that, I spend the evening at the homeless shelter volunteering to screen for the rotating homeless shelter. This is a tough work. We can only admit those who are not intoxicated or not under the influence of drug. The heart drenching part is that we turn away people who don't meet the criteria and we know we are sending them back to the cold evening to sleep under the bridge. We don't have a wet shelter in our town, only a dry shelter (wet shelter= those who are drunk and need a warm place to sleep). There is so much work to be done in this area....so little time..I long for my retirement years when I can focus on this work full time.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Jay, every day in January is brave.

Mike E that story is hilarious. And I find it weird that all my kid's friends are growing up and getting married and having babies while I haven't aged at all.

Fatozzig!!! YIKES!!!

Nancy, the plight of the homeless is exceptionally heartbreaking this time of year.

At first, DW (who has much wisdom) wanted to stay home. In truth, if she did, that would have been fine. The dogs and I would have gotten out earlier, gone further or faster (or both). However, I suggested the valley might shelter us from the wind. And it did.

A little stretching before the snowshoes hike. The wind chill brought the temps to a sweltering -4oF.

Simply looking at the pictures now, makes me ache. Holy cripes it's cold.

We live in a place where the air hurts our faces!!!!  The kids don't want to behave for the camera. bbbrrr...I mean gggggrrrrr.

There is a lot of serenity in the forest this time of year. All you hear is the Coe Coe birds calling..."It's coe coe coe cold!! It's coe coe coe cold!"

Honey's favorite watering hole is not an option today.

Though it was shorter and slower, I'm very glad DW went. With layers, we were close to over dressed. Two miles of Heaven on Earth.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Brrr!!

Nancy - you continue to be an inspiration...

Starr - what are you allowed to eat?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Starr - what are you allowed to eat?

Sorry, I should have focused more on that part of the plan. I am eating whole, nutrient-dense foods, like what our grandparents would have eaten. Any kind of meat, seafood, poultry, eggs and of course vegetables and healthy fats. Basically, nothing out of a box or with added sugar or MSG or soy. Lots of label reading at first. No dairy is the harder part but you can have butter if it's clarified, and not that hard to make, actually.  There are some bars, dressings and snacks that are for sale at the health store, but are so expensive. I am sticking to real food for 30 days then start a systematic re-introduction to see what foods triggers I may have.  I go to the Whole30 book club at the store and have met some new people. It's nice to have the support and feedback on some of the recipes they have tried.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich