Masters Running

Thursday - 4/5/2018 (Read 40 times)

bioguy

Hi all

had a great day at school for a change; every class was on task. Tried a 10 mile tempo that ended up humbling me and makes me question my goal pace for the 28th. Miles 1-6 were ok, but 6 was a little fast. Went too fast on 6 then paid on 7,8, and 9.amaged to finish strong but I’m sore now. Trying to imagine this pace for 16 more. 11.75 total

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters!  I wore shorts today, and ran 6 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park on my favorite trail.  Most of the snow and mud are gone and the trail is in great shape - just in time for tomorrow's snow...    I'm a bit tired of winter, but not complaining, since we escaped in January and February to Arizona.

Mike, I hope Eric is okay - you're in my thoughts.

RKSA - have fun in Phoenix!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

pfriese

I'm fighting off an airplane cold that I brought back from last week's vacation, now with a bit of bronchitis. So, I cut back both distance & effort today to try & recuperate a bit. Sort of a progression run of 8 ezpz wheezy miles.today.

Paul

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers for Eric...praying for him is about all I can do, now, too.  I stopped by the house, after work, and told him he had to find another place to live.  He's being kicked out of his out-patient treatment group because of his continued use and I just cannot continue to support him while he's using.  He has no place to go.  He texted me, later, and apologized and told me how much he appreciated everything I've done for him.  I just told him that this is a disease and he needs help fighting it and I asked him to, please, get help.  It is really heart wrenching and I'm not handling it very well at all.  I just have a terrible feeling that this is not going to end well.

I managed 7 miles.

Gotta go.  See ya.

Mike - My heart goes out to you, Eric and the family.  Praying that something good can come out of this bad situation.

Henry - It was opening day at Target Field for the Twins too.  They had crews to shovel the stadium inside and out. Then there was that rogue eagle that landed on the wrong person's shoulder after the National Anthem! Minnesota should know not to invite an Eagle to the stadium.

I went for a 3 mile walk, no running, I guess I am still wary of falling (I did watch that video, tomwhite). There are some big drifts but the trail and streets were pretty clear. The temp was 37° so not too bad. I really envy Wildchild running in shorts. Erika, when doe your trail get free of ice and snow? Do they plow those or just wait till it melts? I'll bet your road is yucky though.

Goodnight now, I've been up since 3am with a lot on my mind. Day four and all is well.  We don't talk about it, but it's pleasant to have him sober for the time being.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Dave59 just pull the trigger and join up!

We are supposed to get an inch of snow tomorrow. I am sick of winter (heck I did not even want it to start with!) and I am going to complain about it too! So there. 

I recently had a pair of Sketcher's. I thought they were quite nice. But they did not last long. I am also not sure I thought they were much better or different than some of the Adidas or Nike sneakers I have used. I try to keep four very different types of sneakers in my running rotation since that has been shown to reduce injury risk. Once the Sketcher's wore out a Nike pair with a similar drop and cushioning rotated into that spot.

I have been super busy. I managed to get out for 8 miles this morning. Then it was a dash to the office, where I spent the rest of the day and early evening. Between classes and trying to get papers out the door I am sinking! Glug, glug . . .  Okay, I know self pity is a terrible thing to see but it is all I got at the moment.

In case it slipped your mind, join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for this year's Reach the Beach Relay on September 14 and 15! We need you!!! We are not looking for speed. Just a group to throw a 30 hour party with in a couple of vans. So join today! Just send me a message via the RA messaging system and I will get back to you. If you have my regular email or prefer sending a Facebook personal message that is fine too. I can guarantee you will have a great time. That or you are clearly in need of psychiatric help!  Remember the sooner you sign up the less you pay!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Erika, when does your trail get free of ice and snow? Do they plow those or just wait till it melts? I'll bet your road is yucky though.

We get an annual spring plowing of all the bike paths and that should be happening soon. With the budget cuts though, I don't know. It seems a lot of plowing has just been ignored. Yes, you remember our road is a dirt road, and for the most part it's still covered with a hardpack of snow, but the southern exposures (especially on the hills) are starting to be pretty muddy. The sidewalks on the road by DH's office are usually plowed and clear by now, but they still have a couple inches of hardpack and ice on them. Glad I have a treadmill.

Oh Mike, sorry to hear you express that thought.

Tomorrow is a run day and I'm hoping the wind dies down by then. So ready for the weekend!!

TammyinGP

I'm sorry Mike. wish I had words of wisdom to pass along. but I don't.

45 min on the elliptical in the "fat burning" mode.  I don't think it worked. I still have the same fat I had before.

Tammy

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, last full day in Denver.  Got up early enough to get in 3.2 miles before heading to the panel room to finish up.  You've got to pace yourself on this...we get 3 to 4 minutes to go over a person's career (digitally).  We see what jobs they've had, how long at their present rank, medal citations, performance reports, their remarks on what they'd like to do, what the first colonel in their chain of command thinks, military education courses taken, civilian education degrees/certifications and what the board recommended last year (to see how well they tried to follow it).  Then score the record from 6.5 to 10 (7.5 is average).  What works best for me is to treat it like a marathon and grind through it.  Later we go through each record as a group and write personalized "vectors" of how we think they are progressing in their development and what we think they should do to improve themselves in the coming year.  The unsung heroes are the "Action Officers" (AO's), typically majors.  They are there to keep the panel members moving and recording everything.  They put in a lot of extra time (beyond what we are doing) and have 5 senior officers to care/feed.  Anyway, enough of that.  I now know where "the enterprise" would like me to go next.  There is a unit in Montgomery (which is about 3.5 hours from my house) which is considered to be broken and they want me there....assuming the wing commander (who is the hiring authority) decides to hire me in.  Probably won't be for long (there is a longer term reclamation they'd like me to also go to...eventually).  Downside is it is a C-130 unit.  Nothing against C-130s, I've worked them in the past; it's just that I'm a CAF (fighter guy) by background/temperament.  But one of the things that keeps me employable is my background is pretty diverse now.  This morning, our "top maintainer," a wonderful lady/maintenance officer (and two star) came over and sat next to me to give me her perspective on why she wants me there (one aspect of the reserves I still don't understand....but greatly appreciate).  Got some info I hadn't had previously (it's based on need, not on trying to get me closer to home--that's just a bonus).  So, not my first or even my second choice but I understand why she/they would like me to take on this challenge.  Will be a few months before it happens (no personnel moves happen quickly in the reserves) so would be sometime in 3 to 6 months.  Sorry, this is a running group!

On that note, I think I may have runner's knee.  Gonna back off some and try some ice treatments for a few days after I get back to NC.

Holly, as a colonel I almost get a vote.  I get to voice my preference (and explain why) but ultimately I don't get a vote.  That said, the people that make these decisions take your desires into account.  In this case, the perceived need would have overruled my most vehement objections.  But I'm also a civil servant and do have those protections.  But in the military you take care before considering using them.

Way too long and getting late.  Have a great night everyone!

SteveP

MikeE- Have you tried Al-anon for yourself?

My boss up and quit today. I'm not planning on going anywhere soon, but I did ask if I could use him as a reference.

SteveP

Dave59

we get 3 to 4 minutes to go over a person's career (digitally).  We see what jobs they've had, how long at their present rank, medal citations, performance reports, their remarks on what they'd like to do, what the first colonel in their chain of command thinks, military education courses taken, civilian education degrees/certifications and what the board recommended last year (to see how well they tried to follow it). 

So this is what my 2nd grade teacher was talking about when she said my behavior was going on my permanent record.

^^^^^ Post of the Day.

FalconFixer-  Your posts are interesting.  It’s a side of things most of us don’t see as civilians.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth