Masters Running

Joy of Winter Running (Read 257 times)

Here's a little something I put together for my running club tomorrow. Inspirational and some fun with Christmas carols. Hope you enjoy. JOY OF RUNNING IN THE WINTER As we prepare ourselves for another winter there will be days that it will be very difficult mentality to head out the door for a run. Non-runners say it is 100% mental, yeah they think we’re crazy, even real runners need encouragement from time to time. Here is an inspirational collaboration of lines from Christmas songs that can help you get out the door through December and then hopefully carry over through the winter. If you dress in layers with at least the bottom layer of some wicking material you can run all through the winter. There may be some icy or extreme cold days when a treadmill or another activity would be wiser but for most part winter running is a matter of positive thinking and preparation. Oh, the weather outside is frightful What a beautiful sight Outside the snow is falling It’ll be nearly like a picture print from Currier & Ives Just hear those sleigh bells jingling You better watch out You better not cry Kids from one to ninety-two Let’s run and have some fun Over the hills of snow Where the treetops glisten Walking (or running) in a winter wonderland Come on its lovely weather Let’s go take that road before us would be wiser but for most part winter running is a matter of positive thinking and Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all! Look at Frosty go! Catch me if you can Soon our troubles will be miles away Our cheeks are nice and rosy Jack Frost nipping at your nose Do you hear what I hear? Four calling birds Yuletide carols being sung by a choir Hear the snow crunch Running here and there We’re gliding along with a song All the way home I’ll be warm The fire is so delightful They will pass around the coffee & the pumpkin pie As we dream by the fire Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow Although it’s been said many times, many ways Glad tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year Thanks to the writers of these songs for these wonderful lines. The Christmas Song, Frosty The Snowman, Let It Snow, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Sleigh Ride, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, White Christmas, Here Comes Santa Claus, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Do You Hear What I Hear? Twelve Days of Christmas, Silver Bells, Winter Wonderland, The Night Before Christmas. Now try to match the line with the songs.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Oh the weather outside is frightful.....Let it snow. I like to change the words up slightly....here's my version. Oh the weather outside is frightnin' but the fire is so delightnin'. Great thread Sarge!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

When I am tempted to skip a winter run, I think to myself, "Would you go SKIING in this?" If the answer is yes, then I know I have no excuse to not run! I usually stay warmer when I run than when I ski. The main difference is that I sweat so much when I run that I have to make sure to take a hot shower as soon as I'm done. If I do that, I'm OK.
          OK....since no one else is going to give it a go.....and I'm not sure of this one.... Kids from one to ninety-two.............The Christmas Song? I love Christmas carols.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, of course Oh, the weather outside is frightful is from Let it Snow...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

When I am tempted to skip a winter run, I think to myself, "Would you go SKIING in this?"
              OMG -- you just fixed my mental problem with winter running. There's no weather I won't ski in 'cept for lightning. And, since I seem to have finally figured out my dressing issues, I'm going to have a great winter thanks to this little question! Thanks Teresa! And, thanks Sarge - love your concept of stringing together the different lines to build running inspiration!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

OMG -- you just fixed my mental problem with winter running. There's no weather I won't ski in 'cept for lightning. And, since I seem to have finally figured out my dressing issues, I'm going to have a great winter thanks to this little question! Thanks Teresa! And, thanks Sarge - love your concept of stringing together the different lines to build running inspiration!
                Glad I could help, Nono! I had to use that trick just yesterday. It's kind of cool, too - thinking of that made me suggest to DH that he take DS13 out cross country skiing a couple of times this week. They had such a wonderful time that DS is thinking of joining the XC ski team at school! Running leads to all sorts of good stuff in our family.
                  I did 12 miles of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Thanks Sarge.