Masters Running

Friday, 2.24.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s eggcellent workouts:
    Jlynne (1 hr. on the elliptical + 20 min. of weights and core)
    Tramps (8.7 miles in 60F temps with a tender knee)
    Henry (2.5 miles along the Charles on a beautiful early Spring day)
    Holly (900 yards in the pool)
    Rochrunner (6 miles with the group in shorts and T’s)
    Catwhoorg (6 miles in 70F sunny weather with a new Polar M400 watch)
    TomWhite (30 min o the Greenway anyway and hit a few balls, in 70F temps after sitting on glasses)
    BerthaSlayer (6.1 miles of questions)
    Twocat (just short of 10 miles with the RP, and with some interesting discussions)
    Mike (7 miles, slower this time)

Stumpy, thanks for the update on Ribs.

Holly, I forgot to say how great it was that DH arranged a surprised birthday party for you to help extend the well-earned celebrations.

TomWhite - is there anyone who wears glasses who has never sat on them? No, I don’t think so either…

Yikes, Leslie, you’ve got a tough row to hoe! I am so sorry for all that you are going through with your hamstring tendinopathy (I’m going to have to look that up). But, however long it is, I hope there is a good light at the end of that tunnel. Bummer about the Mt. Hood 50 money too. Is the organization a non-profit? If so, at least you can take the entry fee as a tax deduction.

Happy Birthdays to Leslie and C-R!!

Thanks for the update on your Dad, Steve. Not to minimize the issue, but I’m glad it wasn’t more serious than dehydration. Try not to beat him up too badly if you go back. At work, I’m glad the MIT appreciates all that you do.

I hope everyone going to AZ this weekend for the RA meetup has a great time, running or not. Holly is right - “that marathon thing is just an excuse to get together.” Don't forget to post photos!

Yesterday, I found a grassroots funding organization that would consider a grant application from my relatively new non-profit environmental group to pay for our application and fees to the IRS for 501c3 (tax-exempt) status. So now I just have to get that application written and submitted.

6 RW miles this morning in 45F damp weather, and in shorts and a long-sleeve T. Believe it or not, even with some lightweight gloves on, my hands were too cold. I went harder this morning than I've been able to go in several months, with my pace in the low 12s for all but the first mile, and my damnstring didn't give me much grief at all. But I'm still going to take my time (dare I say I'm trying to be smart this time?) and still take it easy and not try to add any more speed for at least another couple of weeks.

Have a greta Friday and weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

3 at the park this morning. 50°, clear skies, nice sunrise.

Going to be close to 80°. Records will fall. If I get done what I need to do and nothing else pops up, I am going to cut out early and enjoy summer in February. If everyone feels the same, no one will bring up anything new. (There is usually at least one person out of touch with reality who tries to push work late into a sunny Friday afternoon.)  Tomorrow it will be windy and 30°.

Speaking of retirement, I was born in 1959 so I can retire with full SS benefits at 66 years and 10 months of age. Who knows what "full benefits" will be in 8 years?  But I lucked out by having a wife who put 30+ years at a company that still had a traditional pension plan so we'll have that.  And she is more interested in finance than me so she did a good job contributing to her 401k and moving the money into the right places (at least so far she has.)  I have a little 401k that I just leave in a fund that manages it for a 2025 retirement date.  My 401k will pay for my Reese's Cup habit in retirement.

I'd like to work as long as I am able to contribute, but I would like to switch to contracting and have more freedom with my time as I get older. I guess it would be smart to figure out how that would look and spend some time over the next few years getting ready. 

Kids do get more expensive as they get older. Clothes, computers, cars, college.and even after college we were helping both ours with down-payments on the homes.

Leslie, I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles. I had a hamstring issue once that shut me out of meaningful running for a full season, but it did finally go away. Also about the race cancellation costs, I know several of my triathlete friends who have had to cancel out of very expensive events due to injury -- $500-600 similar to your situation -- so I have sympathy for that situation as well. Just keep plugging along...

By the way, can anyone tell me what happened to TomS in this forum? He was on CoolRunning the first time I discovered it all those years back, and was always a consistent poster. I also met up with him at the Crim races in Flint and others. The last time I saw him was at the Charlevoix HM  meetup in 2015 and then I wasn't on here for a while. I hope that nothing serious happened to him!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

For a week, now, we've been hearing about this huge snow storm that was going to dump as much as 18" of snow on us.  Even yesterday, they said 6 to 10 inches.  Tonight, they're saying that the northern suburbs (where I live) will probably get an inch.  I'm fine with that.  It doesn't sound like Starr is going to be quite so lucky...the system is going right through her town.

Hi Mike, yeah, I was kinda worried about that storm and all the hype. Last night the Sioux Falls TV station had three reporters live in various towns, one of them where I live. There wasn't much coming down in town,but, oh the wind, uff da!  We maybe had 4 or 5 inches, the main system went south of us.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Tramps

(((Leslie)))

I've got Dave's weather.  Flirted with 80 yesterday and the same is forecast for today.  Flowers are blooming in the neighbor's yard.

In retrospect I should have taken a rest day today.  Legs were toast and I struggled to get through 8.  Tomorrow I'll keep it very short.

Is it too early to be cheering for Phoenix runners?

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

...hi guys........

yeah,

80s here today,,,,,,,,,,20s tomorrow night

fatozzig//.........could you do an Exercise Bike??

================

........didn't sit on anything I'm aware of today

soooooooo

did 50-min on GreenWay

with 2-lb cane

alternating hands

figured it would work the wrists........I'll know tonite

...............good running to ya...................

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

4, was supposed to be super easy paced, but I ended up a little faster than that.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Both TomS and Ribs have disappeared, although Ribs is on FB.

Those of you attending the marathon, have a great time!!

Holly - I always pack too much and I definitely take too long.  The Hub throws a couple of these and a couple of those in a small suitcase or a backpack and he's done.  Although there have been times when I've asked, "Did you get underwear?"  Oh!  "Did you get this or that?"  Oh!  I feel vindicated during those times. 

Jay - I very much admire your dedication to the environment and non-profits.

I have a really good 401k at work to which I contribute as much as I can.  We get a raise every year, and with the exception of the one this, I always have the amount of my raise dumped into the 401k.  Talking about all this reminds me I forgot to do that in January.

Thanks for listening to me whine yesterday.  Whaaa, whaaa, whaaa.  We've all been there, done that, now it's time to suck it up and get one with things.  I just wish I could get into the doc and get whatever process started.  One thing I am happy about, not running in over a week and standing a lot last weekend has definitely calmed things down and I can actually make the 15 min drive to and from work without being in pain the whole way. Progress!

TomW - I don't know if I'll be able to do an exercise bike or not. I've read a couple of articles that say don't do X, Y, and Z (which included biking) until you can do A, B, and C without pain.  So right now I'm not doing anything that even hints at being an irritant.  I will just eat and get fat and lazy until I can see the ortho.  

And I've already decided I'm still going up to Portland in July for the week I had planned, and if I can't run Mt. Hood, I will volunteer with Karen.  love volunteering at races.  Somebody's always there for me when I run those races, and I find it very gratifying to help other runners.  The looks on their faces when they feel like death warmed over and then they come in to the aid station and you're yelling for them, ringing the cowbell, and helping move them along - it's a really cool thing.

So The Hub asked me what I was gonna do tomorrow since I can't run.  Me: "Tax crap."  Him: "Oh.  I forgot about that."  Me: "And clean the bathroom, which I've been threatening to do for awhile now." 

Have a great weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

fatozzig has it right. Tendinosis plus any seated activity = bad idea. That means no biking, no rowing and no driving if you can help it. I sure hope fatozzig's case heals up fast.

<<Regarding retirement accounts.>> Here is some unsolicited advice. Put your money into a passive stock index fund if offered. If not, scream and yell until your employer offers one. Do not under any circumstances put your money into a "target date retirement" fund! The fees on them are outrageous! If you really want something like that, and I do not recommend it, do the rebalancing yourself. Their rule is typically 100 minus your age in stocks and the rest in bonds. You can do that, sans fees, all on your own. Put 100 minus your age in an index fund and the rest in a treasury bond fund. Personally, I think you are better off 100% in stocks all the time until you die and then your heirs should be 100% in stocks. It would take to long to explain why here, but if you want a clue look up something called the equity premium puzzle. Some web page might have an accessible explanation. <<We now return you to your regularly scheduled running discussion.>>

Today was an elliptical day for me. Easy to get in since I woke  up at 4am for some reason and quickly figured out I would not fall back to sleep. Tomorrow I need to decide between doing a 19 and 20 mile run. Just one mile you think? What difference really? The answer lies in the following week. If I run 19 this week I will run 20 next week. If I run 20 this week I will run 16 next and start the up-down cycle again. Decisions, decisions. No, I have not picked out a marathon as yet so there is no deadline to meet as yet!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Hey all

Back home and managed a nice 5 miles before the temps drop 35 degrees. Ran in the Newtons. Starting to like them.

Sorry about the injuries Leslie but happy birthday.

Hang in there with your dad Steve. I had to place mom in hospice today so enjoy every moment you can.

Might not be around much for a while as we take care of thing so heal up everyone and enjoy each moment with friends and family. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wrapped up an interesting week-long project so today

was first five miler since last Friday. A little snow tried

to fall along the way but only lasted about five minutes.

Too bad.   Maybe Jay can give us slackers from this week

a chance for extra credit this weekend too. Ha ha.

Leslie – so sorry about the tough diagnosis and long recovery.

A 50K/25K weekend would have been fantastic and created a lot of new trail running friends along the way. However, you’ve got the rest of your life to run but only now to get better. House work Is great for someone as motivated as you seem to be. Do you have any running book list or something to keep looking forward to while you wait it out?

Erika only – with your ability to cautiously run as normal as possible but bail out if need be to avoid the permanent injury that caused the early retirement of so many of my more competitive friends from those days, you’re sure to be enjoying marathons in all the states and many countries in the years of your running life to come. It didn’t work for a Boston Marathon runner I knew who was in pretty much the same situation a dozen or so years ago but maybe, instead of running as usual, albeit cautiously, and wondering in the back of your mind if it is going to work instead of enjoying yourself without that unnecessary stress, maybe just super-slow down your pace a minute or two right away and run along with some of the more recreational participants.  From my knowing what it is like at the back-of-the-pack, it's a thrill to be getting running advice from someone from the upper echelons.

Might have to cut off the sleeves but, if you have one with you, an Equinox finisher shirt would not only generate lots of conversation but might also end up with them coming up some year too. In fact, maybe someone you know down there might have brought along hers too.  Have fun.

ps steve - maybe you and others can schedule a daily call to dad

to chat and make sure he's drunk at least two bottles of water,

four glasses, or whatever, a day.  good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

[[[steveP]]

[[[[CR]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Head Procrastinator

Me again. Behind again.

Nice to see Henry out there running! Super jealous of all my bff's meeting up in AZ. I do get to see them pretty regularly so time for them to see each other Smile

Good advice, I guess, Jay. Money and numbers make my head hurt so I guess I will be working forver.

ran 4 + this morning.

Watching a Busby Berkley musical on TCM. So fun. Small Town Girl.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                            Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Another loooong week, finally, comes to an end...and am NOT going into work tomorrow...so there!

So, who all is in Phoenix, this weekend?  I know Holly and Erika.  Is Posie down there, too?  I'm sure, whoever is there, they'll have a great time.

Even though we missed all the snow, it's still pretty windy outside, so I decided to do my 8 miler on the treadmill.  Have I ever told you how much I hate running on the treadmill?  It was terrible!  It was supposed to be an easy run!  I struggled the whole time!

Are you guys getting sick of me yet?  Complain, complain, complain!  That's all I seem to be doing, lately.  I'm sorry.

Okay--I'll leave you all alone.  Man, I wish I was in Phoenix...

TammyinGP

short run after work. just 3.3. Legs were still sore from lunges I did on Wednesday, but I think alot of walking around today helped and now they feel fine. I need to do 11 at some point this weekend. Probably should just do it tomorrow so that Sunday can be an easy day on the hometrails with the dogs.

Tammy