Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 4.23.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I guess the new early morning standard will be "Jlynne o'clock" from now on - good luck with the new early shift at the Y. And nice 9er & cardio yesterday.

Byll - letting a hamstring heal is NOT wimping out - it is taking good care of your body so you can get back to healthy running.

Denise - I do really like working at Boston! Such excitement, energy, joy! I have 10 volunteer jackets in my closet, and I'll be back again next year, if they'll have me.

Mariposai, congrats to your friend on her BQ!

Excellent interview, Ribs! As I said elsewhere yesterday, they clearly chose the right man to interview for that piece.

Good coaching, Tammy. Yes, they'll thank you on race day, if not today.

Nice HH (hard hill, in this case) workout, C-R.

Congrats on managing your heart rate better while running, Dave - great progress.

Nice workout, Leslie. Nice smoked eggs too! Gotta love 'justification!'

Tselbes - The fact that you made it through your 8 miler makes the 'struggle' worthwhile. Nice run.

Hi Mike.

Enke, however it is going to happen, it sounds like you are getting psyched about AOTG, and that's great!

Good work on the speed work, Starr!

That's the one thing about weather, Twocat - it changes all the time. Forecasts are generally unreliable until 2-3 days out, in most cases, and even then, they can turn around.

Great tale about the 3-day "EnAct" lunch, Tet! Thanks.

You're right Steve - global changes often start locally, maybe even in a parking lot.

We had a very tough conservation commission meeting last night that lasted 3.5 hours. The biggest issue was a proposed subdivision that could create drainage problems on abutter's properties. We have to do our best to make sure that, if the subdivision goes forward, the neighbors are not negatively impacted by water flowing from the new lots. I got to bed a little after 11, so when I woke at 4 this morning, I only fed the cat, and then grabbed some more zzz's. The good news is that I don't have a meeting tonight!

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks for starting us off, Jay. Enjoy your night off.

Congrats again to all the Boston runners.  I was trying to communicate the significance of Boston to my non-running colleagues yesterday but they mostly gave me that blank "huh?" look.  I do have two folks I work with now who do a little running so I'm scheming to get them to train for a 1/2 in Richmond this fall.

Ribs--you're a natural on camera.  Well done.

Out for 7 on a sunny but very blustery morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

lamerunner

Good morning! No run today; giving my legs a rest day after a full week of running, swimming, raking the yard this weekend etc. I will try to get to yoga at lunch. It was wonderful working the medals crew at Boston finish line; there was indeed great excitement and appreciation by so many athletes. Lots of emotion too, especially from those who got stopped last year and were finishing this year.

I wish I had seen more of the RA peeps -- they must have come down the other side of our corral.  I did see and put medals on a few of my friends .  I did kind of miss running, but I think my body is better off with moderate mileage these days and a bit of time off the pavement.  I would not rule out doing a trail marathon some time and would use a low mileage type training program.

Yesterday, tired though still on a bit of a Boston high, I got out early for 6.5 miles, in shorts for the first time in ages.  Also swam 3/.4 mile after work.

With the warmer weather and late April, things are just starting to green up, with baby leaves appearing on the shrubs. Such a beautiful time of year!

Does anyone know about running in Central Park or on the East RIver?  I have a seminar in NYC in early May, in midtown and I am tenatively set to stay in a funky Pod hotel on 51st Street, within striking distance of Central Park.  I will have to run early morning when the roads in there are open to cars... any ideas welcomed!

Great job again to Karin, Robin ( hope the ankle is improving), Deez and all the Boston runners, and also to Jay working the other end of the course!

Happy Wednesday

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!  Greta to be back into the old routines.  Lots to catch up on; Jay is incredible in summarizing so much and with all he has on his daily agenda.  I hope you get some recognition from your community for all the hours you put in there, sir!  Having the patience for meetings, especially difficult ones that go long, is a remarkable skill.  So sorry I missed you Monday.  I never ever stood in a coral; once the PA system told me to start lining up, I just kept walking and continued to do so up to the start line.  New and different!

I don't have a race report.  My approach to Boston is to run conservatively for the first 21 miles and save it for the downhills at the end  (I've yet to succeed at the first 10K mark--always too fast there).   When I see and hear the signs and the fans saying "Goodbye Heartbreak!" I know  I have succeeded if I feel like responding: "Hello Beacon!"    That happened this year, and my last 5 miles were all sub 8 minute miles, which is good for me.  Of course, the emotions and healing vibes all along the course were unique this year.  Everytime I waved my "Boston Strong" hat to the crowd, I got a response back that made me feel as if I was David Ortiz or Pedey.    And yes, tears were in my eyes throughout the race, and I just flat-out cried as I trundled down Boylston to the Common after the finish.

Boston Stronger: we got our race back.

**********I am so very happy that Meb won.  He's such an excellent representative for runners and of the US; it's no surprise that he had penned the names of the four people killed last year on his bib.  

As Meb's example illustrates, we will never forget.   I believe we all will continue to work on making our little corners of the world better, more kind, and more compassionate......as you all so clearly demonstrate in all the ways you support your familes, friends, communities, and the other folks here on our little board.     If our hearts broke last year, and mine certainly did, we are now more resilient and more determined to make every day count.

So I got in 6 miles this morning at exactly 54 minutes as I appreciated a beautiful sunrise......in my Sketchers, shoes of Meb.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all.

And thanks for that perspective on how you approach the race Aamos.  So happy for you.

Quick in and out here for me.  Yesterday's pre-op visit went fine, blood, urine, instructions, that sort of thing. I'm all set to go next week.

Running has been a bit lethargic lately; no idea why. Today was just 4.4 miles at easy pace.

Off to play bridge this afternoon.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Not like you have anything major on your mind.  Best wishes for a smooth and simple procedure.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Ribs, you know we are all thinking of you and more.   Please keep keeping us updated.

Here's a story of teamwork from Monday: Story behind 4 runners carrying a 5th one to the Finish.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

is Ribs old enough to play bridge? I don't think so!!  Yes, please keep us updated on tests, etc.

I'm hoping the kids love me today when they all do well at their respective races. One young girl is trying out the 3000 for the first time (normally a 1500 and 800 runner). I think she'll do well and be pleased with her progress. she's not fast enough to win, but just the fact that she's going out of her comfort zone and trying a longer distance makes me proud.  David will switch from the 3000m and run a 1500/800 today. and the 4x400.

At noon is luncheon I'll be attending where David is being honored as Rotary Student of the Year. He looked so nice all dressed up today.

Tammy

Congrats to David!

Thanks for the link, Amy.  That's what this world is all about.

Glad you got some extra ZZZ's, Jay.  I did, too!  The Hub woke up before Wilson or Chico could get going this morning, so he get up and fed them.  I didn't hear anything.  For the first time in quite awhile, I slept completely through the night.  It felt so good!  But it also meant I was fairly groggy when I needed to get up, so I'll be doing my miles tonight after work.

I did, however, finish the last CD for that transcription job this morning - - - or so I thought.  I got into my email so I could email the transcript . . . and there's yet another CD to be transcribed.  *sigh*  I think I will be at 40 transcripts with this one.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Here's a story of teamwork from Monday: Story behind 4 runners carrying a 5th one to the Finish.

I saw this on the news and it brought tears to my eyes, just another reminder of the goodness that can be found in people.

A breakfast meeting had me leaving extra early this morning, so I only had time for 2 miles on the TM.  I am hoping to run a few more after work (if I don't get way-laid by family demands and/or laziness).

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly S. what a story!  Pretty remarkable how compassionate people can be.

I went off for 10 miles today.  Another spectacular weather day for a run!  One thing I have discovered about Austin is that while it is hilly you can cobble together routes that avoid repeated climbs and descents.  I started with a loop on the USATF web page that somebody created.  Since then I have been modifying day-to-day based on the distance I wanted to run.  All in all, it has worked out quite well.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

That video made me cry. What a fantastic day for runners. Like Tet always says, "do you wonder why I love running so much?"

Prayers to you Ribs that everything goes well with your surgery and your recovery is swift and uncomplicated. I see a future for you doing feature stories for your local television station. Nice job!

Congrats to David, Tammy. You must be very proud.

Think job security Leslie, job security

Nice to see Lamerunner pop in for a visit.

Five miles before work this morning (no, not before 4:30) then to work at 7:00 followed with a couple of hours of cross training in the yard this afternoon.  Has anyone seen the new "Fargo" series on FX yet? I'm becoming a huge Billy Bob Thornton fan. The dark humor in that show is crazy! You can tell the Coen brothers are helping with the scripts.

Have a great evening everyone.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay.

Sometimes it’s hard to forget how depressing

things are until someone reminds you they aren’t

as there’s been a lot of going on herein lately, . .

even steve’s cups.  Me too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I got in 6 miles this morning at exactly 54 minutes as I appreciated a beautiful sunrise......in my Sketchers, shoes of Meb.

I think they should sponsor you too.

where do I get a pair?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/23/keflezighis-boston-win-a-boost-for-shoe-sponsor/20873899/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl24%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D467731

The Boston Marathon champion crossed the finish line wearing sneakers from Skechers,

not exactly a brand associated with sports. The company signed Meb Keflezighi three years ago

hoping he could help legitimize its foray into selling running shoes.
                                Skechers made Keflezighi its first - and only - spokesman for the running shoes line in 2011

because he was already a familiar figure to serious runners. Suddenly,

though, plenty of folks who don't follow the sport are Meb fans.
                                 . . 
                                Keflezighi was a big star in the running community long

before he took the lead Monday wearing a Skechers logo on his shirt.

At the 2004 Olympics, his silver made him the first American man in 28 years

to medal in the marathon. In 2009, he became the first U.S. champion in 27 years

at the New York City Marathon.

Keflezighi was sponsored by Nike then.

He said Monday that the company's lack of interest in re-signing him was a low point in his career. .. . .
                                He posted a personal-best time in finishing sixth in New York that day,

then lowered it again in winning the U.S. Olympic trials just over two months later.

Keflezighi narrowly missed a medal at the 2012 London Games when he took fourth.

Those performances were critical in persuading serious runners that

"if Meb can do it in Skechers shoes, so can you," Higgins said.