Masters Running

40's, 50's, 60's + On The Run w/e 5/1/10 (Read 539 times)

You go, Half Marathon Queen!

Your friend running once this week for 5 miles reminded me - My brother called me a few months ago. Him: "Hey, sis.  How do you keep your knees and ankles from getting swollen and achy when you're running?" Me:   "How far and how long are you running?" Him: "I ran 3 miles."  Me: "When was the last time you ran 3 miles?"  Him: "That was my first run."  Me: "Are you stupid?"

He's an all or nothing kind of guy, which is why he literally has almost died or been very severely injured no less than six times since he was 18 (he's almost 47).  This does not include when he was a toddler (1) having to have his stomach pumped 2x when he was a toddler for eating newspaper and licking a fly swatter that had been sprayed with bug spray, (2) climbing up on the back of a chair, falling off and doing a head on the floor heater vent, thus requiring a "skull cap" 'cause he cracked his head open, or (3) grabbing a hot iron when my mom turned her back to answer the phone and having it land on his arm.  And these do not even begin to tell the tale of my brother.  Kinda surprises me they went ahead and had another child - sweet, little ole me.

Okay - The boss is gone for the day, I'm outta here.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Have fun Arla!!!

& found this on my fb wall:      Ok so I started that couch 2 5K thing this morning. OMG I think I might just die, alright maybe it's not that bad, but I have Jello legs, my calves hurt, and I think the front of my ankles will never be the same. Why in the world do you people do this to yourselves??

this is from a dedicated non-exerciser!

mta:  and then there's this!  http://abcnews.go.com/Health/mess-ernestine-shepherd-body-building-grandma-benches-150/story?id=10480184

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Go Arla! have a great half!

Joe's rugged trail race this weekend also?

Maybe we can try again next yr Carol?

Happy recliner swapping Leslie.

Kevin sounds like a buys schedule for sure.

Cindy we are looking forward to BB, we were doing good with training while it was rainy but not so well this week,

Hiya to Ev and Jewels.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey 40s and upwards!

Still no runs for me, but have some nice gentle walks in.  All body parts are back to normal.  That knee thing is still there although it really feels pretty good.  I'm debating on getting back on schedule or giving it another week off. 

Carol, you're my hero.

Joe.....go after that wicked twisted trail.

Go Arla!

Les, you're brothr sounds like a dandy.  I'd love to hang out with him! 

Hey to evryone!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Les, you're brothr sounds like a dandy.  I'd love to hang out with him! 

Just make sure your life insurance policy is paid up.   {{{Healing vibes to the knee!}}}

10.30 trail miles this a.m.  Everything went really good until about Mile 9 when nausea hit me like a ton of bricks.  Ick.  Even though I know I need to get food in me at that point, it's hard to force it down.  *sigh*  Nutrition is the single most frustrating aspect of my running.  Oh well.  One of these days.

Chair moving is happening next weekend.  I gotta go now and pick up "something" from The Hub's work that he bought today.  Whatever it is, it requires the truck . . . . . .

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Guys, just got home and cleaned up from the "trail" race. I put that in quotes because there were not many trails ,plenty of rocks,water ,knee deep mud, more rocks and some rocks thrown in for good measure. This was the second annual version and triple size of the crowd from the first. Even very experienced trail and ultra runners stated that this course was a bear( and bears were there too).For the "Muddy Marathon"  Ultra Magazine  has it rated a 5 out of 5 for difficulty. Only 4 of 42 full marathoners finished before the cutoff. The half marathoners had similar results. I was one of those that did not make the cutoff after the first loop. My first DNF but I don't care, it was much much harder than I thought. I'm happy to have all my limbs and parts in one piece. One guy had a dislocated shoulder,another a broken wrist.The temps were also high in the mid-70's. Another step in the process. I'll go next year again and try to complete the half. I "ran" 6.5m today and feel just as much or more tired than my last full marathon.

Now for some cold ones.....

Joe........sounds like it was a rockin' good time!   Great new experience for you.  You've got the right attitude about the dnf.  But I wouldn't call it a dnf, I mean it wasn't like it was your choice to be done.  I'd call it a heck of a great time!  Evr expanding......

Les, sorry about the nausea.  You got in 10+ more than me.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Good job, Joe! 4 out of 42 finishing.    At least you survived with no broken bones and you had "fun."   Sounds absolutely brutal, but like Ev said, you have a great attitude about the whole thing.  That race reminds of one that, for the life of me, I can't remember the name.  But you have to have a compass to get through the loops, you have retrieve pages from books so that the RD knows you completed which ever loop, like yours - no real trails.  A number of folks start, but few finish.

So when's your next trail run?

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Joe, that sounds more like an off trail adventure with Igloo Ed . It's all about the experience.

Ev sounds like things are coming around, just give it time. What's an extra week in a lifetime of running.

Really nice report, will get over there to comment on it when things slow down a little.

Bummer bout the nausea Lesie.

Off to do my long run then back to the field this afternoon either in the sprayer or the planter tractor. Quit early (8pm) to get cleaned up and go to supper in my little town.

laters

MTA 11 miles into the wind for 6. Felt pretty sproinky overall.

Wind seems to be going down, I'll head to the Sprayer and Lynda the planter as soon as we get our clothes changed..

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III