Masters Running

Sunday Daily 1.12.14 (Read 37 times)

Nice photo Mariposai, I am sure it made someone, or two or three men here smile.

7 miles with Remi, outside.  Felt great for the first 5 or 6 miles.  Not used to running this much....a whole 23 miles this week.....but 18 of those in the last 44 hours, so I am a bit sore and tired.  Foot mysteriously is doing great.....so are my eyebrows!

Dating life is completely dead right now.  Which is fine....I need to focus on getting a better job.

Door #8 was a close hit, but not quite right.  Now I am getting the same people popping up, like comets, makes me think the pool of available men in my age range is pretty darn small (at least ones that are liberal politically, educated, non-smokers and not really heavy.  Doesn't sound like too much to ask does it?)  Door#9 was close too, but not right either.  He said he arranged to meet a woman, and they realized once they meet, they had already dated a few years earlier!  Bizarre you wouldn't remember someone.  Talk about a small community of singles.  Just waiting on serendipity now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Still feeling wiped from yesterday's swim-a-thon.  I changed my mind about going mountain biking four or five times this morning and finally forced myself out the door at the very last minute.  Am so glad I did.  I had good company, only crashed a little bit, and then into a nice, soft creek Wink  Also made a spectacular save that had the woman behind me hooting with glee.

I am a terrible mountain biker.  I really know it when I ride with women.  When I run out of technique (which I do quickly), I can sometimes save the day by bulling through the problem.  But then I watch this tiny scrap of a woman dance over giant rocks I daren't contemplate and realize how much I have to learn.  But, DAMN, it is so much fun to go play in the mud. Every particle of clothing I had on is absolutely filthy, multiple layers deep.

As I drove home, I saw people huddled under their umbrellas, looking positively miserable, and remembered that it is 38F and raining.  But once I got moving, it was such gift to be outdoors.  For me, anyway, trail running and riding make winters here bearable.

Bracing self for a late afternoon swim, recovery from camp, while (hopefully) burning in some of the new technique.

Sometimes it's tough to be a fan but sticking in there during lean times makes the good times that much more fun.

Amen to that..........here's the write up on my Coach, he scouted for the Eagles and Pats prior to the Browns.......

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/staff/jake-hallum/905e8544-5bcd-4627-9769-71808f4aa5c3

when

he left my HS (which was ranked 9th and then 5th Nationally) )

he went to a small rural Ky HS

and

promptly scheduled the Number One Team in the state the following year........

and lost.

IN DOUBLE OVERTIME!!!!!!!!!

yeah, he's THAT good

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

NHLA

14 miles  1 hr 51 min.  Three Arrows Ranch.   Ran into a friend.  We ran 4 miles in 24 min.  I think she was trying to beat me.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

NHLA

Mariposai   Biltmore marathon in march.  I don't think its full.  Thinking about it but weather can be bad.

Mabe we should get a masters team together for Blue Ridge Relay. My favorite race.

Cradle to Grave is a great 30k trail race.

jlynne   I'm a 58 year old male.  Run about 50mpw in the blue ridge mts. They say I'm billy goat tough.

SteveP

Allow me to add a late welcome to NHLA

Three miles on the snowshoes this afternoon. So far, I'm enjoying a new phone. The company decided I need a text and data plan. As it's a big Bozo Nono for truck drivers to text while driving, I've been more excited about a better camera.

On Your Mark.

On Your Mark

Get Set

GO!!!!!

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

14 miles  1 hr 51 min.  Three Arrows Ranch.   Ran into a friend.  We ran 4 miles in 24 min.  I think she was trying to beat me.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Welcome NHLA--I would say billy goat fast, too.  Of course, if someone tried to make me run 4 miles in 24 minute, I'd say they were trying to kill me, not just beat me.    Nice territory you run in, too.

I enjoyed the warmth a bit this morning.  Out for 6.25 Ribsian miles (my socks and shirt matched--a highly unusual occurrence) in shorts and my brand new compression socks.  They felt great.  The pain in my butt is a different story.  Not terribly painful, but very uncomfortable.  Might have to take even more time off than I already have.  bleh.

MS--PRETTY sure I wouldn't want to ride with you, but I sure would love to watch you enjoy yourself.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

NHLA

Never date yourself.  Find a dumb fat conservative that smokes cigars.

Nice photo Mariposai, I am sure it made someone, or two or three men here smile.

7 miles with Remi, outside.  Felt great for the first 5 or 6 miles.  Not used to running this much....a whole 23 miles this week.....but 18 of those in the last 44 hours, so I am a bit sore and tired.  Foot mysteriously is doing great.....so are my eyebrows!

Dating life is completely dead right now.  Which is fine....I need to focus on getting a better job.

Door #8 was a close hit, but not quite right.  Now I am getting the same people popping up, like comets, makes me think the pool of available men in my age range is pretty darn small (at least ones that are liberal politically, educated, non-smokers and not really heavy.  Doesn't sound like too much to ask does it?)  Door#9 was close too, but not right either.  He said he arranged to meet a woman, and they realized once they meet, they had already dated a few years earlier!  Bizarre you wouldn't remember someone.  Talk about a small community of singles.  Just waiting on serendipity now.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I've been checking in here all day and thought of things to say to everybody who posted...but I had a drama to write for church...a couple of football games to watch...a little 6 miler to get done...and, now that I have a little time to write...I can't think of a dang thing.  Although, I did want to say and hi and welcome to NHLA...hi, NHLA...and welcome to the group.  Oh...and tet--you're great.

Hey!  I got outside for my run, today!  It was 40 degrees!  Poor Erika...she must be in a deep freeze up there.

When I got done with my run, tonight, I made myself a pizza...I haven't made a pizza in a very long time...my DW hates when I cook.  But DW was not at home, so I made a pizza...it was just a frozen pizza...how hard...or messy could that be?  Well, I read the directions, set the oven, piled a bunch of mushrooms and cheese on a pretty plain peperoni pizza, plopped the whole works on a pizza stone and put it in the oven.  After the timer went off in 14 minutes, I peeked through the oven window and it didn't look done, so kept it there for awhile longer.  I finally pulled it out and started cutting it...it felt kind weird...and I realized I had left the cardboard thing under the pizza...so the crust was still kind of doughy.  So, I pulled the cardboard out...getting cheese and crumbs all over the counter...and put it back in the oven for a few more minutes.  It finally got done and I put it back on the counter and finished cutting it...then I realized I had put the stone too close to a loaf of hamburger buns...which were in a plastic bag...and the plastic had melted and was stuck all over the stone.  Anyway...it took me awhile to clean up my mess.  I guess DW has good reason not wanting me in her kitchen.  The pizza was good, though.

Okay--I'd better get going.  It's Monday in the morning...crap!  Oh--that reminds me...I read a story about 94 year old tack star named Olga Kotelko.  It told about the records she had broken and how healthy she is for being so old and then it listed six smart habits of super agers.  The last one was Lighten Up...I'll just copy what it says so I don't botch it all up...

"People get stressed out over the smallest things," Olga says.  The fact that she doesn't is as much a matter of choice as temperament.  "Honestly, I don't have the time."  Not long ago, at an Illinois airport, as Olga moved toward security, other passengers began removing their shoes.  But Olga didn't.  A sign said that you didn't have to if you were over 75.  "Excuse me, ma'am," a security agent asked Olga, "How old are you?"  "Nintey-three," she replied.  The agent gaped at her.  "You're joking," she said.  "I'm sorry, ma'am.  You're...how old?"  "Ninety-three."  "What's your secret?" she finally asked.  "Enjoy life!" Olga replied.  The agent nodded as a grin infiltrated her face.  Then she turned to her supervisor, somewhere behind the barrier, and announced, "I quit!"

I wish it were that easy.

Mariposai

hey, care to share your pizza MikeE!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Great story, Mike, and yes, we're freezing our arses off here in the Interior. But... it's to be a short-lived cold snap and we're supposed to warm up dramatically tomorrow with a high of zero. Cool! It's -39° right now as I type this, so zero will feel very nice.

MS, it doesn't matter how good you are, but whether you have fun, which obviously you are doing! That much mud and dirt means a good time in any book!

SteveP, nice photos! I applaud the upgrade! Tag looks excited to go!

Well, I was thinking I'd run 10 or 11 miles on the treadmill today, but you know what? I just couldn't do it. Just didn't want to. So... spent the day working on my big filing/organization project and made a lot of progress. We all just sort of hung around the house today taking it easy. It seems we rarely do that, so I really don't mind. And the piles of papers that have been haunting me for months are now all neatly filed away, in the shred pile or in the recycle box. Sweet!

SteveP

When I got done with my run, tonight, I made myself a pizza...I haven't made a pizza in a very long time...my DW hates when I cook.  But DW was not at home, so I made a pizza...it was just a frozen pizza...how hard...or messy could that be?  Well, I read the directions, set the oven, piled a bunch of mushrooms and cheese on a pretty plain peperoni pizza, plopped the whole works on a pizza stone and put it in the oven.  After the timer went off in 14 minutes, I peeked through the oven window and it didn't look done, so kept it there for awhile longer.  I finally pulled it out and started cutting it...it felt kind weird...and I realized I had left the cardboard thing under the pizza...so the crust was still kind of doughy.  So, I pulled the cardboard out...getting cheese and crumbs all over the counter...and put it back in the oven for a few more minutes.  It finally got done and I put it back on the counter and finished cutting it...then I realized I had put the stone too close to a loaf of hamburger buns...which were in a plastic bag...and the plastic had melted and was stuck all over the stone.  Anyway...it took me awhile to clean up my mess.  I guess DW has good reason not wanting me in her kitchen.  The pizza was good, though.

This is exactly why some of us need adult supervision.<<<<guilty>>>>

SteveP

Henrun

This is exactly why some of us need adult supervision.<<<<guilty>>>>

+1