Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 8.15.18 (Read 37 times)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, ride must have taken more out of me than I thought.  Got to bed at a reasonable time....and ignored my alarm this morning.  Did manage to get out as it was getting hot.  So first 3 miles went well, last 2+ not so much.  Still, got 'em done, got a shower then went to Mass (Feast of the Assumption).  

On a sidenote, my old wing commander (an active duty guy I think a lot of) is now the wing commander for an active duty airlift wing near Seattle (McChord).  He PT tests in August (I'm now in December).  We've had a sort of unofficial contest (silly on my part, he's almost 10 years younger than me) and he tested last week.  He put in a crazy number of pushups in a minute (100) and a good number of sit ups (65), also in a minute.  But he was most excited about his run time, 8:55 for 1.5 miles.  First time he's broken 9 minutes.  I'm not sure I can break 9 minutes again....but I'm going to heal up my knee and see if I can at least scare it.

RunnerKSA, have a great trip.  One of the (really) old RW master's posters lives there.  She went by Kazz.

C-R, Congratulations to DD!

Jay, I understand.  Nice preparation for the family on your part.  Good luck with the race!

Have a greta night everyone!

7.25 @ 8:10

Still a pleasant little bubble here, temps mid 60's to mid 70's, air is clear, no rain in sight. September and October are usually our hot months, so I'm ready for it. We didn't have many (any?) hot days this summer. A few in the Spring, but it's been nice otherwise. (SF Bay Area, East Bay)

Got NEW SHOES today, barely. The idiotic or vindictive delivery driver for OnTrac left them on the porch, in plain sight of every crackead that goes by. Right on top of the sign with LARGE letters that says "DO NOT LEAVE PACKAGES ON PORCH, PUT THEM OVER DRIVEWAY FENCE" and the same sign though smaller next to the mail slot. They left a package on the porch a few days ago and it was stolen, and I'm having a hard time getting refunded because the seller says the delivery service told them  it was "placed on porch". Anyway, pair #3 of Skechers GoRun Ultra Road-2. $60 this time, but worth it. I get about 350 miles out of them before the outsole wears through. They still feel fine, but the wear gets pretty rapid once the midsole material is exposed. Uppers still like new. Since I bit the bullet and ordered them, they will now appear at my local outlet for $30-40. Because that's how life works for me.

Jay; I wish I had your energy/motivation. But then again, I'm glad I don't! That's too much work!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just popping in to say hi and post my run.

Hi

11 miles including 7 at tempo pace.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Joe618

Hi All...just popping in after Mike for a quickie...

TomWhite---your BIL on The Wall after suffering all those years.   Wow.   We looked long at those names...each one has a story.  

Dave:  The Pomodoro is a great technique.   I've used it for 5+ years.   Does a great job in getting me "un-stuck" and moving again.

Norm--happy sheep to you...do they also eat angry potatoes at your house???

I was in Atlanta for meetings the last two days, got back mid afternoon today, crammed a day's work in my office into 3 hours and then headed to our running club's monthly free 5K, since it's the third Wednesday of the month.   Ran today in rain, a steady rain, much more than a mere drizzle.   Which is kind of fun to do once in a while.   Still had about 50 people running and a lot of kids, in the 8 to 10 year old range, running the 5K too.   That was cool.

I just looked at the race mile splits from the Garmin.   I was trying to run an even pace and looks like I succeeded:

Mile 1   8:44.0

Mile 2   8:44.5

Mile 3   8:43.9

Mile 3.1  8:02 pace

27:13 overall at a (surprise) 8:42 pace.   My aim was to run even, at a pace a little quicker than my 9:08 marathon target pace.   Check.

Oh, and SurlyBill, I noted in tonight's race that, when it's pouring rain, my NTT shortens to about 20 minutes.   Normally about the same 2 hours as yours.

Thanks to all of you who commented on our pix from DC.    That Freedom Marathon around Antietam would be quite thought provoking.   I ran the Chickamauga Marathon at that battlefield near Chattanoga several years ago and had the same sense.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

2Kitty - Hang in there.  You've definitely dealt with more than your fair share of carp the last few years. PS - I looked up hamstring orthotics.  Not sure if what I saw is what you'll be wearing.  Either way, it doesn't sound very comfortable.

Ortho appt rescheduled for 8/29.  Maybe 299 will be open by then.

Found out today it could be up to 2 months before the associate and I have a secretary for his dept.  I tried to hide my dismay.  Later, he said, "I hope you don't get tired of me."  *sigh* It's not really him I'm tired of.  We went over a few things, then I said, "My brain is shutting down for the day," and I got up, packed my things, and went home.  Poor guy.  I need to remember he's just as stressed as I am.  My office looks like a cyclone hit it.  I don't see that changing any time soon.

5 min of running.  Holy cripes, it's hard to "run" for just 5 minutes.  Nothing warms up.  Anyway, butt issues, blah, blah, blah.  I have some good stuff to talk about at PT on Monday.

Nite, friends ~~ 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thinking of you, Twocat.  It’s a lot.....

Leslie- glad you got rescheduled.  I’m very interested in what the ortho has to say.

Long travel day with lots of sitting, but my butt held up well.  I’m just tired.  We are over 8800 feet, so there’s that, too.  I’ll get out in the morning for my “run”.  The easy effort here is not going to yield much running, but I’ll do what I can.  It’s so cool and dry and pretty- as always.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

Leslie, when I first started running again in March, it was 200 meters at a time. Really. It was probably a couple weeks before I got up to 15 minutes. It really does take awhile.

6.8 miles today after work that felt harder than they should have. I realize getting older is much better than the alternative, but I used to recover from hard runs so quickly. I'm still a little sore and creaky from my Sunday run. Tonight the first couple of miles felt just hard but I guess it did get a little better. Got caught in a downpour for about 5-7 minutes that had me stop and turn tail to the wind and pull my jacket up over my head a bit. Then the sun came out a bit for the last mile or so. Weird weather, but should get better tomorrow.

SteveP

Of course, all kinds of crazy things go through my head, but I refuse to start Googling causes to scare myself...

I Googled for you...You may want to brace yourself.

Two cat, You'll get through this.

We had a cabinet truck land first thing this morning. One hundred cabinets plus 188 pieces of various trims.It was as much fun as a 10K.  I wish I could have hit a shower after. I was sweat soaked to the core and felt icky all day. The supplier bought lunch for the crew.

I think I may open a day care after I retire from being a wage slave.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Today I got all of my medical appointments set up from now until the operation. Surgery is set for a week from next Monday. Tomorrow I go to pick up my orthotic. Friday I see a urologist to make sure my urinary system cooperates this time, unlike last year after my tongue surgery. Next week it is a pre-op meeting with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. The latter will be there because I have had trouble coming out of anesthesia in the past and it would be nice if nothing went wrong. Man, are operations fun or what! 

Matt - good luck and all my well-wishes for a smooth, painless and quick-healing experience.

Joe - nice 5k!

Steve - would you be attending the daycare or running it? 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Steve - would you be attending the daycare or running it? 

good one.

Tammy