Masters Running

Flint Hills Mile Race (Read 260 times)

evanflein

(Pretty much a verbatim cross post from KR...) This is the second race in our local race series. Flint Hills owns the refinery in North Pole (14 miles to the south of Fairbanks), and they sponsor the Flint Hills Cup series. I do this race mainly for the end of year awards you get for doing every race in the series. But it's also a lot of fun with a very laid back atmosphere and lots of camaraderie. When we signed up (on-site pre-race), someone asked about the fee and the RD said "Nope, it's free. Last free race around and worth the price!" Kids ran first, which is always fun to watch. Not so many real little kids this year as last year, but still neat to see. Then they divided the wimmin into two heats, the slow chicks and the "fast wimmin." Last year the dividing line was 7 m/m goal. This year, they started there, but everyone drifted over to the slower group. So they said "8 minute miles over here!" and that got a better division (ok, this is a really fun casual race, as you can tell...). I tried to sneak over to the slower side, and got soundly rebuffed and pushed back over to the fast wimmin side. So... that means we went after the slower runners. I really didn't want to do that cuz some of these ladies do this in 15 minutes or so... Roll eyes I kinda wanted to get it over with and go do other stuff. I had done a 1.75 mile easy warm up, then walked a bit, then tried to rub that sore little spot below my left ankle (what the heck IS that anyway??), but it was still there. Warm up seems like it evaporated waiting for the kids to run, then the slow chicks... Finally it was time for us to go. "Fast Wimmin on the track!" yelled Dan the starter. We start all in a pack and jostle for the inside lane. Wilson was there, calling out encouragement each time I passed. I tried to do the dAAve suggestion of a sorta easy (but still quick) first 200... or was it the full 400? Oops, forgot. First 440 was 1:35 or something (starter was calling out the splits and I'm going from memory here...) so ok I thought. Second 440 was 3:20 (I think...), but I was feeling pretty good. Going into the 4th lap, Wilson yells "See those girls up there? Go get 'em!" Uh, thanks Roger. Those are Lathrop H.S. cross country studettes... Oh well, I put it up a notch cuz it was last lap, but I wanted some gas for the end. Last year I really faded at the end and didn't want that to happen again. That's when the naughty faeries started talking... ("you know, you should've had a snack at 4... you haven't eaten since 1 and that wasn't much!" "aren't you feeling tired and hungry??") errghh, I was running out of gas. When to kick? Now? Ack, don't do it too soon! Well, I put on the steam at the last turn, and I was surprised by the speed I had left. Should've kicked earlier, that's for sure. Crossed the line and got my tag pulled off, wandered over to talk to a friend for a bit, then realized I hadn't stopped my Garmin. Crap! So, hit stop at 7:08... Last year's time was 6:38 and I was totally spent after that race. This time, I felt I had something left at the end, not a good thing if your goal is to PR but mine was to finish well and not get hurt. Final Time was 6:46.7 (better than I thought it would be...) 1/9 in AG, 10/46 for overall women (lots of fast women in this town!) I realized that while running I didn't feel my foot pain or ankle twinge at all... after I cooled down a bit though, that ankle thing came back. After my heat they had three heats for the men. The slow guys, the sorta fast guys, and the really fast men. (yes, that's how they called the groups to the track!) I had several friends running in the second heat so stayed to watch them. Then the fast guys came on... I stayed to watch Wilson, and he looked pretty good at the beginning... then I started talking to a friend and lost track of the race. Sorry I didn't see you finish, Wilson! Blush Hope it was a good one. I don't think the usual guy won (Chris E.) but he was up there... So... I need to do more speedwork... if I really cared. I had fun, and I do like the track but it's a drive to get to one of the good H.S. tracks. It's just easier to put it off till "next week..." But I'll do this race every year I'm here and able because it's just a really fun event where you get to see everyone and get re-connected with folks. Errr... fashion report, I wore a light green singlet, black Nike shorts, new Nike Air Pegasus shoes and Nordstrom running socks. Temps were in the steamy mid-60's, mostly clear skies and bright sunshine.
      evan, I really like the laid back atmosphere and camaraderie of this race. You clearly enjoyed yourself and sure did well. Congrats on being "fast" and getting 1st in AG. TomS
      huskydon

evan, sounds like fun, you didn't get hurt, it was free, and even came in first in your AG. Good job! Yes, you certainly have a lot of fast women in your town! huskydon
          Neat.......Congratulations on the first in age. To what is the "fast wimmin" attributed to? I understand the fast men.......they are chasing the fast wimmin. Sounds like that is just a fun race to go to, with a slight fun variation on something that could be a lot more serious. Thanks for the report. Joey
          Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice race as you planned it, not too hard, not too soft, just right. And 1st AG as well! Congratulations!! It's a nice feeling when you ask for speed and find it is actually there! Enjoyed your RR, Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Hmmm. A town of fast women that's somewhere north of the North Pole? Hard to believe! But great job, Erika, and I see you managed to slip that first in AG in your RR in a subtle way -- that's a greta accomplishment. Maybe I see a runoff between you and DaveinAA at a future mile event. Speedsters for sure!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I liked how they redefined "fast wimmin" as 8:00/mile. Hey, I just might qualify! Your time was pretty good, considering you still had something left and didn't risk getting hurt. And I never knew there was actually a place called the north pole. So that's where all the letters end up.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hey I live near Flint! (Michigan that is)I thought I knew all the fast wimmin around these parts Smile Great job as usual. Sounds like a good time for everyone. And the free parts great too. Makes me wonder what my mile time might be. Its been a long time since I have been to the track. I plan on mor eof that during this marathoon training cycle though. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Having the free Parks & Recreation series runs helped attract so many of us otherwise nonrunners to running. Glad they're still havin' 'em. I think I know why <>fr/fr)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

, then tried to rub that sore little spot below my left ankle (what the heck IS that anyway??).
                      It's called an "Ouchie". Next time your at the Dr ask them about it. You're some one I'd like to see race..If you're not already crazy fast, you're pretty darn close.

SteveP

Evanflein Great race and congrats on 1st AG, that is quite an accomplishment. Sounds like you had a great day. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Wow, that's a very good time!! You are definately one of the FAST WIMMEN!!! Congrats on the 1st place finish! Hope that sore spot heals up quickly.... John

Marathon Maniac #957

Only 8 seconds slower than last year and you still had gas in the tank? Excellent! Congratulations on the AG win. This definitely sounds like a fun race, too. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."