Masters Running

Mid-week, mid-month Wednesday, 8.15.12 (Read 371 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all,

The inlaws arrived last night, a couple of hours late just because they got a late start. So we got to bed late, but I still got up at the usual time. I'll catch up on my sleep one of these years...

4.1 E-Z racewalking miles at 4:05 - 68F, muggy with a hint of fog, slight breeze from the SE. I'm glad I got out early because the radar shows some heavy storms coming our way through MA. I have a race tomorrow evening, so I just took it easy today and took the time to remind my various body parts what they are supposed to be doing when I'm racewalking in a race. For the second time in a week (in different states), I passed a fawn that was feeding by the opposite side of the road. It didn't know enough to be afraid of me, so we just stared at each other as I passed by, and then we both resumed our previous activities.

Enjoy your day - lief is good!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Once again, so much to catch up on....

Congrats to Dove on yet another amazing ultra! And did I read that correctly, first overall?? Wow, so impressed...

Wildchild, yet another epic mountainous long run for you, fabulous! 

Oh, I know there was more greatness posted here, but those are the two that stand out in my mind at the moment.... 

My weekend was busy, what with volunteering all day at the inaugural NYC Ironman on Saturday. My running club had an aid station set up in the run portion, and I spent the better part of the day handing out oranges to the athletes. It was a hilly course for them which I know personally, having run it a couple times. I actually hated to leave that afternoon, feeling that I wasn't going to be there to personally support "my" runners. Again, if any of you haven't ever volunteered for a major running event, it's really an experience that shouldn't be missed.

On Sunday I did my long run, 17 miles. Big hills in the middle but I did fine with my pacing. Took me 2:39:29, or 9:23 pace overall. I'm really finding that HEED beverage to be a godsend for me, since I haven't had much luck with gels in the past. Drank to thirst and finished virtually all the 28oz of liquid I was carrying. Been reading Noakes' "Waterlogged" and it's good to know my instincts are being reflected in his findings.

And yesterday I met with my coach for my weekly speedwork session. Did 5x 800m, with 1:30 rest in between. My splits were 3:52.7, 3:47.6, 3:50.5, 3:50.3, 3:53.5. Average was 3:50.9, which if I understand correctly, when I can do eight of these, that would predict my marathon time to be 3:50ish? That information, along with my coach's pronouncement that I would "definitely do sub-4" totally blew my mind yesterday! I have a key half marathon in two and a half weeks, so I think that will be a better assessment of what I'm capable of doing for NYC in three months. But still, this is ME here, I don't run like that! Well, obviously I do now... Shocked

Cross training day for me today, so I'll be going to yoga later this morning and then riding the stationary bike at the gym in the afternoon. Happy and healthy running to everyone!

mrrun

Jay - the rains have come.  fortunately or unfortunately i didn't sleep well, so went out early for a 6.8mile run NOT at OM's pace, for sure, but it felt good.  saw some red sky, so sailor and later runners be warned.  going into work late, but probably not biking.

good runs all - article from ny times on running in heat http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/strategies-for-hot-weather-exercise/

marj

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning gang!

Finally got up and out  yesterday with Brinkley.   3 miles in heavy fog, or is it thick fog?    Either way, we could hardly see where we were going.    This morning I made it out again for 3 Garmin-less miles with B'Nellie.   I left the Garmin at work.   B'Nellie did very well even though it was a bit humid and foggy again.

I've been having a very hard time finding my mojo, but I'm trying.....

Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

I've been having a very hard time finding my mojo, but I'm trying.....

Hopeful...I had a terrible summer. One of my lowest mileage years to date. I've finally got some motivation back.

One thing that helped was getting beat in a 5k by two people that normally don't give me much competition.

an 8+ mile run for me this morning.

I received an email 1 minute before my alarm went off telling me I was unlucky enough to have been choosen in the Harpeth Hills lottery.

Tramps

OM—is this the race that’s trying to charge a $1200 entry fee for next year?  Ever since Ironman got taken over by that investment group, it’s sort of gone off the deep end. Crazy.  Glad you had a good experience, though.

Mary—me too.  Mojo-less summer.

Steve—you’ll have a blast with the monkeys.

Most days, I’ve been doing part of my run down a rarely-used dirt road.  I run through the spider webs.  The next day, the spider webs are back and I run through them again.  Today, it occurred to me that in the mythology of the local spiders, I am Tramps, God of Destruction.  And amidst their population is a Job-spider wondering plaintively why the righteous suffer.  Tramps moves in mysterious ways.

Today he moved for 7.1 miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

I am Tramps, God of Destruction. 

Big grin

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Tramps, all I know is that they didn't charge me anything to volunteer....

OM—is this the race that’s trying to charge a $1200 entry fee for next year?  Ever since Ironman got taken over by that investment group, it’s sort of gone off the deep end. Crazy.  Glad you had a good experience, though.

Tramps, OM is running the NYC Marathon in November.

While that is not cheap, you're thinking about the NYC US Championship Triathlon that was just held this past weekend.  They opened registration for 2013 on Monday at $1200.  But they got a bit of flak for that on the various Tri Boards, and with some logistical problems they had, they pulled back and closed the registration for the time being.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Tramps, all I know is that they didn't charge me anything to volunteer....

Big grin

While that is not cheap, you're thinking about the NYC US Championship Triathlon that was just held this past weekend.  They opened registration for 2013 on Monday at $1200.  But they got a bit of flak for that on the various Tri Boards, and with some logistical problems they had, they pulled back and closed the registration for the time being.

Aren't these the same event?  See Times article yesterday.

Maybe it's just me but it seems odd to have a for-profit investment group buy the Ironman brand, jack up registration fees, yet still call on volunteers to support the races.  I know from Tribee's friends that some folks just boycott the Ironman branded races, favoring the less-expensive charity-oriented races.  That makes a lot of sense to me.

Be safe. Be kind.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yes, it's the same event Tramps (though not to be confused with the NYC Marathon, which is ALSO quite expensive). There were people in my running club who were rather peeved that we were asked to volunteer for free, but I opted to overlook the politics and just spend my day supporting the athletes there. They did offer wristbands to all the volunteers for a guaranteed entry for next year's Ironman, but I didn't take one. Triathlons are not my cup of tea.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

OrangeMat – you are running so well!

Tramps – about spiders….I started out very early for my Sunday morning run and it was still dark when I stopped at a water fountain along the river for a drink.  The water did not spray very high, and as I dipped down to get a drink I thought I saw something there in the dark.  I stopped, got a stick and waved it over the fountain and, sure enough, there was a spider web, and there, right where my mouth would have gone, was a large coiled spider.  Yuck.

I have a HM Sunday, my first race since early spring, and I decided to do some speedy miles today to get a feel for what pace I should choose.  I know I am terribly out of shape, speed-wise, and can’t base current fitness on past HMs.  So, here was the workout:

2 miles WU @ (10:22, 9:59)

6 miles at (8:38, 8:35, 8:20, 8:33, 8:37, 8:32)

3 miles CD (slower than dirt, with some walking)

11 miles total

After six miles at those paces I was toast, just TOAST, I tell you… 

Obviously I need to back off a little more in my expectations for this race…..Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

OM, add me to the list of people who believe a sub-4 is well within your capabilities.

Thinking of the days when we all ran smaller races, everyone volunteered, so everything was cheap.  Hey! I have an idea.  Why not offer volunteers a discounted entry?  Then you'd get lots of volunteers, your expenses would be lower and you could afford to have a more reasonable entry fee.

Has anyone seen the hilarious post about two weeks ago in The Onion that went, "Sorry to do this to you, but I'm going to tell you all about my marathon..." and the text was just a scream.  If anyone has it, please put it up somewhere.  I never laughed so hard in my lief.

And now I have a rant, so please bear with me because I am just so frustrated and upset.  I believe the world for the most part is filled with wonderful people, that people are generally kind and good-hearted.  But that said, there are maybe 10% or more of the population who for lack of a better description are just plain sons of bitches.  Sorry, but they are.  And you know what makes me mad?  Nothing bad ever happens to these people.  It's not like I want anyone, mean though they may be, to get sick or die, it's just that the very good and decent people always seem to be the ones afflicted.

After my stretch this morning at the Y, a woman I know sat down next to me while I was tying my shoes and I told her how much I enjoy seeing her husband Tom running at the park. He always stops to talk to me and ask me how I am doing and say a kind word. He is two years older than I and one of the nicest guys I know.  I told her how much I enjoy him.  Then she told me she will tell him this when she gets home.  She then told me he is dying of cancer and has not much longer to go.

I don't know why, maybe hearing this after losing Joe, but nobody ever says, "Hey, you know that guy who set that dog on fire?  He's dying of cancer."  Why does such crappy stuff happen to the world's best people and the sons of bitches live forever!

There. I've said it.  Spareribs

...well,

the Back is PainFree

since I got the lace-Up backbrace.

and

I have had 3-people tell me ''Now, don't do Anything Stupid''

............I have A Rep  ya know.........

===========

34min poolrun

AND

tied my own shoes after I got done,,,,,,,,,ta-daaaa

fellow arthritic pool-runner

told

me to get some sandles,

says

he hasn't laced up a shoe since the Reagan Administration.

The FirstOne.

....................good running guys....................currently looking for SomethingStupid to do...........

wish me luck.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

I share your rant and frustration Ribs. I know exactly where you are coming from. Some things in this world simply make no sense whatsoever.

Tramps, can I just call you god for short?

TwoCat - the fires are relatively close, but not immediately close. The Biscuit Fire in 2002 was MUCH closer - WAY too close for comfort. As the crow flies, that massive wildfire was only about 10 miles away.

I'm thankful that we have relatively inexpensive races here. Our local running club puts on 1-2 races a month, no frills, smaller in size, but probably only average around $10 a race, some are even as low as $5. Even the SOB 15K (although not sponsored by my LRC) was only $15.

3.3 hot miles last night. was probably still upper 80's/low 90's when I went out at 7 p.m.  Taking tomorrow and friday off - bringing parents to the airport around noon tomorrow, then taking DS and his buddy to the county fair later that day. How come the day we set aside to go to the fair will be 110 degrees out?  Then Friday we'll take them to the waterslides down near Ashland. I'll enjoy Friday more than Thursday I think.

Tammy