Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday, September 18 (Read 364 times)

Morning everyone, this is a first for me.  I was awake at 3:30 and finally got up at 4:30 to run. This is the 2nd time that I’ve run around the lake in the morning and was home before my alarm went off!  Hi Jay! 

It was about 40° at the start and about the same an hour later.  I think I run slower in the dark but that’s just fine.  I played “dress the runner” this morning to simulate my race that starts at 8am on Sept. 30th.  I expect weather about like this so it was a good test.  Looking at the race photos it looks like most people are in short sleeves and shorts.  I wore long this morning and was fine.  The earband is a necessity and I have some cheap ones that I won’t mind throwing away.  I told MrStarr that I’d just wear a sweatshirt and throw it away when the race starts.  He said “Wouldn’t it be just as easy to tie it around your waist?”  I guess he doesn’t know the rules.

Gotta get moving and start thinking about what to pack for our trip to Yellowstone.  We leave on Friday for a week then will be in the Black Hills on Sat/Sun for the half marathon on the way home.

Good running everyone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

King of PhotoShop

Travel day today.  I'm off to run some and see how well I've recovered from my race.

What NFL team currently plays home games at Phoenix Stadium?    Spareribs

Slo

Terrific Tuesday it is.

Starr...I put on a long sleeve shirt this morning too. First time for the season. I still rode to work in shorts but I did wear gloves and a wind breaker.

5 miles, a 2x loop around my hood taking in some gradula hills.

Dave59

Unless it is a trick question isn't it the Arizona Cardinals?

eta: Decided to run 3 miles (and then ran them.)  I wasn't going to run or workout today but I need to shower and shave for a meeting tonight and it seemed like a waste of water not to workout first.

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Hi Starr - Nice job of beating your alarm clock this morning! It sounds like you have a great trip/race coming up.

Travel safely, Ribs.

Nice to see you out there, Slo.

We got back from our travels last night. We were in Victor, NY for a nephew's wedding on Friday evening (nice event, cute couple), and spent the rest of the time celebrating our anniversary in Skanealetes, NY, which is a charming town at the northern tip of Cayuga Lake (one of the Finger Lakes). We stayed at a comfy B&B with a great view of the Lake, ate some wonderful meals, and did some casual sight-seeing in the luscious early-Fall weather. I got in one walk on a dreadmill at the hotel in Victor, and another one on the hilly roads in rural Skanaeletes. On that walk, I crossed the crest of the hills between two lakes and enjoyed a joyfully-gorgeous sunrise as I racewalked along roads lined with wildflowers. It was wonderful to see those flowers light up as the sun rose enough to cast a glow on them. A dog ran out of a yard, galloped to right in front of me, and then rolled over on his back for a belly rub. You never know what you're going to get out on those farm-country roads...

5.3 miles this morning with legs and hips achy from the long drive back. Lots of ground fog that was cool or warm, depending on proximity to the coast and the amount of tree cover (it's always warmer under the trees, which trap the heat overnight). At 53F, I also had on a long-sleeve shirt, but had the sleeves pushed up by the time I got back home.

As we're fortunate enough to always be able to say; it was good to be away, and it's good to be back home.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Good morning, Starr, Ribs, Slo, Dave, JayWalker, and all you masters out there!

70F

soupy humidity

5 miles with Jane and Sonya!  We took a couple walk breaks due to the thick air.

I have been swimming and biking and running but, not as much as I should be. Still carrying around extra poundage.

Enjoy the day!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

spacityrunner

Mornin' all.

Hi Starr - Nice job of beating your alarm clock this morning! It sounds like you have a great trip/race coming up.

Travel safely, Ribs.

Nice to see you out there, Slo.

We got back from our travels last night. We were in Victor, NY for a nephew's wedding on Friday evening (nice event, cute couple), and spent the rest of the time celebrating our anniversary in Skanealetes, NY, which is a charming town at the northern tip of Cayuga Lake (one of the Finger Lakes). We stayed at a comfy B&B with a great view of the Lake, ate some wonderful meals, and did some casual sight-seeing in the luscious early-Fall weather. I got in one walk on a dreadmill at the hotel in Victor, and another one on the hilly roads in rural Skanaeletes. On that walk, I crossed the crest of the hills between two lakes and enjoyed a joyfully-gorgeous sunrise as I racewalked along roads lined with wildflowers. It was wonderful to see those flowers light up as the sun rose enough to cast a glow on them. A dog ran out of a yard, galloped to right in front of me, and then rolled over on his back for a belly rub. You never know what you're going to get out on those farm-country roads...

5.3 miles this morning with legs and hips achy from the long drive back. Lots of ground fog that was cool or warm, depending on proximity to the coast and the amount of tree cover (it's always warmer under the trees, which trap the heat overnight). At 53F, I also had on a long-sleeve shirt, but had the sleeves pushed up by the time I got back home.

As we're fortunate enough to always be able to say; it was good to be away, and it's good to be back home.

Jay

Jay,  If you were in Skaneateles, you were on Skaneateles Lake....and it is a wonderfully charming little town...glad you enjoyed yourself. 

Liz

Trails Rock!

Sunday after getting back my ankle was sore in the morning when I woke up.  I figure that while it felt better for the last few weeks it was not all healed up.  So it is a week off from both the elliptical and running.  The ankle already feels like it is close to 100% but no matter.  I am taking a break to make sure.  There is no point getting to the marathon's starting line only to discover my ankle falls apart around mile 20.  At least this is a good week to take off since I will be traveling tomorrow and will not get back home until late Friday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Yes, it's the Arizona Cardinals, but I figure I have to throw in some easy ones along with the tough ones. Well done Dave.

4.9 miles with 5 x 1/2 mile (1/4 intervals) averaged 4:02.  All packed.  See ya.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

A dog ran out of a yard, galloped to right in front of me, and then rolled over on his back for a belly rub.

Jay, this describes Ladybug exactly!  She'll even do it multiple times when I'm walking down the driveway.   Glad you had a nice vacation.

I wasn't going to run or workout today but I need to shower and shave for a meeting tonight and it seemed like a waste of water not to workout first.

Funny, Dave! 

Starr - Have a great trip to Yellowstone and S.D.!  And best of luck at the half marathon.  You'll do great!

Chilly here this morning, too.  Only 44° when I got to the trailhead, and I was wearing short sleeves, so I wore my fleece jacket for the first several miles till the sun came up.  Lots of mist over the lake.  5 easy miles on legs mostly recovered from the marathon.

Hi Liz!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice start to a nice day Starr.  However, I remember once when you did it around the lake at midnight on the Fourth of July to beat me doing it around the Space Needle at the same time but three hours later. Smile  Yellowstone at this time of year will be spectacular so please take some photos, as will getting to run in the Badlands.  Lucky.  

ps – how come you know me better than I know me?

pps rosie - me too.

ppps everybody - forgive me for any non-running posts this week while I wait for pictures from the Equinox. .

If it works,  don't know where this stock photo came from of The Chute

but I hope they half as good weather too. 

Fourth place finisher Tom Ritchie Jr. descends the Chute portion of the course during the 50th running of the Equinox Marathon Saturday, September 15, 2012. Eric Engman/News-Miner

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Starr...I put on a long sleeve shirt this morning too. First time for the season. I still rode to work in shorts but I did wear gloves and a wind breaker. 

I ran shirtless...no shirt or long sleeves unless it gets below 50F Wink  Managed to get up at 4AM this morning and out the door by about 4:40AM.  Weather was a balmy 65-66F and rain.  I ran 4.8 ez pz miles around an 8 min pace.  Legs still a little sluggish from weekend's long run but no issues. Run was unenventful except for the rain. 

Happy Tuesday.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Slo

I ran shirtless...no shirt or long sleeves unless it gets below 50F Wink 

It was 44F this morning. Perfect training weather...not so much for milling around.

Forecast for tomorrow morning calls for 37F.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

It was 44F this morning. Perfect training weather...not so much for milling around.

Forecast for tomorrow morning calls for 37F.

way too early...not ready for 37F. Shocked We have straight line winds, thunder and storms later today and tonight due to warm front from south and cold front from the north hitting us today.  All kinds of high winds/storm warnings.  Not sure what or if I will be doing early morning run tomorrow.  May wait until later in afternoon if storm still going tomorrow morning.  Warm rain running fun...cold rain not so much.Wink 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

.......5-inches of Storm last night

==========

................32min poolrun

could have

done it out in the yard/////

......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....