Masters Running

Weekly Newbies - all runners welcome - good times here (Read 1591 times)

HappyFeat

Deb: What if something got left behind? or something has torn that shouldn't be? Wouldn't you want to know?? I'm surprised your surgeon is not more concerned - unless you haven't shared all your discomforts with him. Otherwise, I think he needs to take this more seriously - want me to go in with you? I'll be your Patient Advocate (although I might be a little IMpatient with him or maybe you - you goof! Get checked out! I'm wooooorrrried about you.

About my Pace Bunny, yeah I've adopted a new attitude. I'd love to catch him, but can only run within my limits these days and be happy with that.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Rindaroo

Debbie - well maybe the MRI would show any problems?  I still think you should talk to the surgeon..  how about just calling and asking a question?  its a start, right?  I know how much you love the docs, but I think this is important.

HF - hmm I was going to mention the Pace Bunny too.. but thought I might sound too over the top.. Debbie & I know very well we have a little trouble with knowing our limits.  Of course, we're better  now, but only after lots of learning the hard way.

Ran 3 miles this morning on the treadmill (it was dark outside - booo) and did some yoga tonight.  Oh am also exploring writing again.  Trying to follow my heart, my instincts these days.  Now if I could just do something about that work thing. Big grin

HappyFeat

HF - hmm I was going to mention the Pace Bunny too.. but thought I might sound too over the top.. Debbie & I know very well we have a little trouble with knowing our limits.  Of course, we're better  now, but only after lots of learning the hard way.

Ran 3 miles this morning on the treadmill (it was dark outside - booo) and did some yoga tonight.  Oh am also exploring writing again.  Trying to follow my heart, my instincts these days.  Now if I could just do something about that work thing. Big grin

Linda - honestly, I welcome any and all input - really! So don't hold back, ok? I value all your comments.

So what time did you run that it was dark this morning? 3 a.m.?? Years ago, I used to run at 5 a.m. to avoid the 100+ summer temps,  but I really don't think I could do it now.  What do you do for work??

I don't know if I already mentioned it, but I've been have a really bad attack of insomnia. I've literally NEVER had any trouble sleeping in my life; but for the last two weeks - can't sleep to save my life! Consequently, I'm tired and have trouble getting out the door to run - also a new experience. I've been trying OTC antihistamine sleep aides which don't work very well. I think it might have to do with not running as much as I'm used to.  It's like my body clock has re-set itself so I'm tired in the day and wide awake at night. I need to get it reconfigured

Rindaroo

HF - Hmmm you asked for it!  lol   well, like Debbie I'd say don't worry about the pace bunny at all... just too easy to get caught up in it.    I work for a Fortune 700 company doing their income taxes,some sales tax, and handling the monthly close for one of the management companies (there are a ton of legal entities & in a few states).  Being where you live, you would probably recognize the company name...  lots of stress, and feeling like its just not worth it anymore.

Blew off running this morning, was so exhausted, I slept in! Well.. needed to, so its okay.  there is always tomorrow.

HappyFeat

This has nothing to do with running, but just had to share. I just completed an embroidery/cross stitch project I started TEN frickin years ago that was to be a wedding present for my older brother. Now it will be a 10-year anniversary gift. I've worked on it sporadically over the years; so it's my own fault it's taken so long. It's the largest project I've ever done (11x14) and I'm really pleased with how it looks. Now I'm off to get it framed. Can't believe I actually got it done though. I was beginning to doubt my capability.

MTA:  I have my log marked for "public viewing by members of groups I'm in." However someone in a different group said my log is NOT available for viewing.  Can someone here tell me if there is a log icon below my user name to the left of this post? along with an envelope icon? Thanks so much!

Linda, is your work thing seasonal? Such as is it busy and hectic certain times of the year? MIne is and I am looking forward to winter when it slows down. Although I am a summer person.

I am not sure what a pace bunny does or what youre supposed to do with it.

Several very slow 4 mile runs for me. Some I could feel the hamstring injury. Not going to call it pain but I just noticed it was there sort of feeling. Some pain free. All very slow cuz my legs feel like lead. Not really sure why.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

HappyFeat

When you join a Pace Bunny group, there is a set goal of a certain number of miles you want to run for the year. As you go along, you have a place on a bar graph which includes a pink pace bunny bar. The bunny makes progress every day and if you keep up with the bunny, you will reach your goal by year's end. I first learned about it last year and joined the 2000K group; that's 1243 miles per year and about 24 miles per week. I accomplished that and rejoined this year - but am about 30 miles behind the bunny now. Really not sure I will catch up. Last year I got about 30 miles behind, but was able to catch up; so ya never know! I was surprised to find the Bunny to be Incredibly Motivating! I'm totally hooked on the concept.

MTA: This week I ran two 6's and a 10 (this morning) and was faithful to my yoga/pilates workout Still not symptom-free enough to run every day. Happy to be building my endurance though, and the pilates has helped my back immensely.

Hi, guys, I was lurking yesterday and today, so I thought I should reveal myself as still alive and actually running. Very weird posting via iPad - can only see 2 lines with about 4 words each at a time. Will swing by the library tomorrow so I can properly catch up. Eliz. Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

Happyfeat, way to go finishing  your project Smile.     Did you give it to them yet?   ... funny how time just slips by, isn't it?!      You probably know this by now, but yes, your log shows up just fine.   I'd make mine public too, I just don't want all my stupid comments out there.  The log part I wouldn't care about.         Glad you're building endurance,  nice 10 miler!~     ok, just say ' hi bunny' if you pass each other.    It's cute but hey.  it's only a bunny. 

Linda, you ok?

Hi Eliz!  I've been meaning to e-mail you, sorry I didn't do it.   Glad you are both alive & running.  So.  what's going on? 

I'm still plugging along.   made a doc appt. for the toe but it was canceled, I just found out.  I have irritated my left knee, I think by compensating for the toe.  Although, my shoes are really old, & may be a factor too.  I ordered new ones tonight.   I will admit to being exceptionally stoopid last sunday.   So I took today off too.   Hope to run tomorrow.  I've finally made some progress since the surgery time off, even in the H&H, my runs aren't great, but I don't feel as awful as I think I will!   & now this week it's cool & less humid.  ohboy ohboy!
                    HappyFeat

Deb, you mean just nonchalantly say "hi bunny" when it passes me, like it's no big deal?  I sorry but I don't believe your "it's only a bunny" bit It symbolizes SO much!! accomplishment, determination, dedication, hard work, perseverance, a touch of irrational insanity. It was really hard for me to meet the goal last year, but it was really great too.  I'm already trying to figure out how I can get closer to it this year without jeopardizing my recovery. 

As for the embroidery project, it's still at the framer's. She'll get the materials tomorrow and does her framing on the side out of a kayak/bike shop. So I won't get it back for about another week, but I think it will look better than I imagined. If I take a picture that turns out halfway decent, I'll post it. I forgot to take a photo before I took it in. I'm thinking for my next project to do a Pace Bunny bar chart - what'cha think? The Bunny would have to be ahead for it to be a motivator, huh?

Rindaroo

Laurie -  no work is not really seasonal..  I have monthly, quarterly duties, and returns are due annually, but a lot of work goes into it all year long.

Debbie - I'm fine, no worries! my internet has been not working well & for some reason RA & KR's graphics make it tough to post.. weird I've been able to post on Facebook before here.  I'm running well.  This morning went for a 3 mile run, except for the steep parts (where i walked).  My husband went with me.  first time ever!! well he went about 1/2 way, he hadn't run in about 9 years, so that was pretty nice.  How are you?  seems like some aches and pains, but you're okay mostly?

HF - you're funny on the pace bunny!  I can't pay attention to that type of thing, just take it as it comes.  Otherwise, I do a really good job of injuring myself.  More power to you, if you can.  just be careful, and pay attention to what your body tells you.

The dumb thing wont let me post on page 30 but it will let me post here. Anyone else having trouble with this page?

Does the pace bunny cause stress? I dont even log my runs. I want to keep them as carefree as possible.

A few good but slow 3 milers. Lots of cycling. Some swimming. Leg is ok. Some pain yesterday after the ride because I rode on a different seat which was much less comfortable.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

HappyFeat

Laurie: your post is on page 30, so you succeeded You're doing so much these days with cycling, swimming and running. Good for you!  

P.S. The Pace Bunny is my Sole Mate!

Rindaroo

maybe its time for a new thread? 

I had not logged my runs for months due to needing  to just enjoy them, whatever it was it was..  have started logging again, since I'm gearing up for this training.  But, sometimes I forget, Big grin    I find that logging it, wearing the Garmin, posting my miles run in a month, etc..  pushes me in a way that is not healthy.  Taking it one day at a time, works better  for me.  It works for some,  and that's great.