Masters Running

40s+ 50s On the Run - w/e 07/22 (Read 260 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

"I failed my way to success" - T. Edison

OK, it's probably my turn to get us started, and I love Edison, what a nut. 

Leslie! Taper time! How are the new Inov-8s working out for you? They sure have a solid following. 

Joe - after this last week, I know what you mean when you say the treadmill is repulsive. Hope you can get out there in some better weather. 

Guess everyone else is working hard out there. 

My back is oh-so-slowly getting better, running doesn't bother it but hard running (like intervals) does. So, keeping it easy and throwing in some rest days. 

Today is day one of my annual motorcycle trip! We'll see if the back cooperates, it may end up being the last day as well! 

2013 Valley Runner of the Year Series: Feb 16 5K (4 points out of 10) ... Mar 2 10K (20/30)... Mar 16 4Mi (21/30) ... Apr 6 10K (DNS) ... Apr 21 2Mi (5/10) ... May 11 5Mi (21/30)... Jun 8 1Mi (13/20) ... Jun 16 6Mi (22/30) ... Sep 28 10K (14/20) ... Oct 5 5K (7/10) ...Oct 12 5Mi (16/20) ... Oct 20 5K (0/10) = 3rd Place, Women's Senior Division

Have fun on your trip, Arla!

Rest day for  me.  Seriously contemplated taking a "mental" sick day as I'm just plain ole pooped.  However, I sucked it up and am happy the  morning went by as fast as it did.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

2014: May - MDW 70-Miles; July - Mt. Hood 50

"The farther you go outside, the farther you go inside." (Unknown)
      Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzig's Place

Have fun riding Arla. Hope your back's better.

Enjoy your taper Leslie. Good job sucking it up.

Dealing with severe heat again this week. Scheduled a 10 for lunch. 98* as I set out and high humidity. Completed half the ten and realized I was sizzling. Got back to the car, short drive, then completed the other 5 on the TM. I knew there would be days like this.

Man, so much of the country is burning up, in a massive heat wave, or dealing with severe drought.  I will not complain anymore about the  carpy weather we've been having (have seen the sun only once or twice in the past 7+ days).

We had thunder and lightening, along with lots of rain, from 3 a.m. to about 6 a.m., so I decided running in that mess was probably not the best thing and will put in my 4 miles after work.

I've decided to work a few of lunch hours between now and next Wednesday and take an extra day off when I go to Portland so I can sit in on the recording of my friends' podcast on Monday, July 30.  Hopefully they'll let me be a guest!  It'll also give me a chance to talk to Gary, who has agreed to be my coach.  I was going to meet up with everyone on Sunday and come home Monday, but Gary has to work Sunday and, well dang it, I want to be on the podcast!

MTA - My 4 EZ miles - Done.  And - - there's a hill on this particular route that only one time have I been able to climb without stopping.  Well, tonight, not only did I make it all the way up the dang thang. but I kept right on going once I got to the top and never once felt like I was dying.  Yea!!!  [insert dancing bananas here]

Leslie
          -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzig's Place

~ Thinking of Jim and Lynda and hoping their surviving the drought conditions that are plaguing so much of the country. ~

Running Today - 5 miles on the schedule with hill fartleks, if I so desired.  And I did for a short while.  About Mile 4, though, things began to go oh so bad, and I spent the next, oh, 20 minutes trying to get home without having a horrible accident.  Start, stop, compose.  Start, quickly stop, pray/compose. Over and over and over . . . Try Winco.  Nope. Bathrooms still closed for cleaning.  Precious minutes wasted and still half a mile to go.  Finally, FINALLY get to my front door - locked!  I hadn't locked it when I left!  Shorty's gone to an AA meeting.  Oh No!  This means I have to bend over and get my key out of my shoe pocket.  Can I get it on the first grab?  No!  Where's the frigging key??  Finally!  Get the door open, cats better get outta my way 'cause I ain't stoppin' for nothin'!

I'm still recovering . . . . .

Leslie
            -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzig's Place

flatland mountaineer

Thanks for your concern everyone. It has been a tough spring and summer for sure. I lost my dad on May 10, the morning after we finished planting.. We buried him on his 92ond birthday. We were entered in the Sandhills half but figured I only had one dad, there would be other races. We missed quite a few key workouts during his illness, looking after his care and trying to spend some quality time with him and still get our work done. I had enough base to run to finish without injury so went ahead with it, some 18 minutes slower than last year but still a victory in my eyes.

The heat and drought has accelerated our workload. Wheat harvest was 3 weeks early and we felt fortunate to get suprisingly good yeilds which were below average and about 1 rain away from being excellant. I still have hope for our summer crops, the dryland crops are really struggling and we are having trouble keeping up with irrigation and have some wells failing. If the weather would turn around a bit there is still time for us to have a decent year. My friends with cattle on pasture have it worse, as the grass has dried up and supplemental feed is scare and expensive.

I have been running more consistantly lately getting a few 20 mile weeks but have tentatively decided to forgo any more races this year and hope to start fresh in 2013.

I enjoy reading about you all. Good Luck to Leslie in your upcoming race, Joe and Arla glad to see you getting it done in the heat. Hiyas to Stumpy, OM, Mtn Chk, Carol. Ooops and Ev too how could I forget!

Hope to get get back here more.

Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

My deepest sympathy to you Jim and Lynda. So sorry about your Dad.

Jim - Thank you for letting us know what is going on in your life.  You and Lynda have been on my mind a lot lately.  I'm very sorry about the loss of your father.  He sounds like he was quite a man and enjoyed the life God gave him.

Take care of yourselves.  Will be keeping you in my prayers ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzig's Place

So sorry about your Dad, Jim. 

A hearty, "Hey!" to you all.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Ev!  You, Jim, and Carol have been spending equal time in my brain.  Hope things are going well for you.

Not much going on here.  Only 12/8 on the schedule for this weekend.  Love the taper!  However, I'm already starting to get nervous butterflies in my stomach for next weekend's Mt. Hood 50.  *gulp*

Oh - and if I did it right, theoretically you will be able to follow me on my facebook page through nspirelive.com.

Leslie
                      -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzig's Place

Got the link. Relax Leslie, your training is done. Hope everything aligns nicely for you next weekend. I would say that your training is done and therefore you'll do well, but we all know how precarious things can be. Especially at your ultra distances.

Going to finish my first 60m week in a while. From vacation, my weeks have gone 0 , 30 , 53, 60. Feeling strong and through calorie counting, have dropped 7 pounds the last couple of months. Hoping to double that by November.

Dang, I'd love to drop about 5 pounds, but it's hard to do that when training.  I'm always hungry! Smile

Today was a slow 12.  My legs are really tired.  Seems they are more tired than they should be at this point in the taper, so I'm hoping next week's continued taper refreshes them.  Tomorrow's suppose to be 8, but I'm thinking I'm going to bring it down to 5 or 6.

Okay - Gotta go work on my legal association's bulletin.  Why do I volunteer for things for which I have no idea what I'm doing??

Leslie
                          -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzig's Place

Opted to take today off.  It'll be a true rest day, except for getting my stuff together for my trip.  I slept in and my whole body is thanking me.

Forgot to mention that yesterday about 3 miles into my run, I saw my first bobcat.  He was trotting down the logging road like he had absolutely no worries in the world.  I followed him for probably 3-4 minutes before I started slowly jogging again, at which point he heard me and just trotted into the trees.

Okay - I need to go feed this bod.  Have a great Sunday -

Leslie
                            -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzig's Place