Masters Running

Welcome to the Saturday 10/28 Daily (Read 39 times)

pfriese

Afternoon all.

I ran the Tulsa Run 15K this morning in near ideal running weather; sunny, 35 degrees, 3-5mph north breeze! Result: 1:16:14 

Race report over in Mariposai's RR thread.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat – glad your tongue is healing well.

Stumpy – ouch, and I hope you can clear it up.

Metal – ouch! That expo was a bite in the wallet. Good luck tomorrow.

TomWhite – sending happy healing vibes to you.

Jlynne – great racing!

I need to head over to the race thread…

2 recovery-paced miles for me today and about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hello Masters.  Nice day at our XC Regional meet.  There are 4 regions in NC and the top 25% of the teams in each region qualify for the state meet, plus the next 7 individuals not on a top team.  I knew we didn't have a shot as a team, but was hoping my #1 could make it.  He did, finishing 10/183 OA and was the 4th individual qualifier in 17:00.  Race seemed a bit slower than previous years.  He beat the 5th and 6th individual qualifier by .25 and .55 seconds respectively to get 10th OA and make the All Regional Team. Only 2 seconds separated the final 3 individual qualifiers!

5.2 miler for me after the meet - slow and easy in a new pair of Guide 10s and some new Thorlo socks.  I was going to say it was like Christmas here Friday when UPS came with new shoes and socks, but then I read about Metalman's expo and I feel kind of inadequate now, ha ha!

Need to go forage for food.  Last night, as DW gets home tomorrow.  I want to swing back through later and absorb the race reports.  Until then, have a good evening everyone.

evanflein

Nice race, Paul! That seems like a good distance. That seems kind of chilly for that part of the country, no?

Twocat, that Relive of your run is pretty funny. Sort of reminds me of when Tramps wore his Garmin while mowing the lawn. Glad to hear you're recovering well enough to have bread and crackers.

Quick did a good job on an 11 mile 10 mile race. Heh, you'd think they'd either shorten it or change how they promote the race.

Metalmancpa that's quite the haul at the Expo! I use the Vivoactive too and I like it. I wear it every day as a regular watch, too. I also have an Apple Watch that I won at a conference (step contest, go figure!) but it needs to be charged pretty much daily. I like the Vivoactive's long battery life. Good luck at your marathon, I sure hope you feel better.

We had freezing rain last night, and this morning everything was encased in ice. The only thing I really hate as much as (if not more than) mud, it's ice. Waited till the afternoon and a lot had melted, but still a lot of icy patches and slick spots. Wore my spikes and took them off when there was a nice stretch of just wet pavement, but the last mile was the worst so had them on there. So I've known people around here are slobs when it comes to cleaning up after their dogs, but I couldn't believe how much dog crap was on the bike path. And I found out that I'd stepped in some when I was putting my spikes back on... had it all over my glove. Bleh. At least I only had a little over 3 miles to go at that point, but yuk.

9.2 miles, no falls.

Go get 'em, metalman! my saturday: 13.1 on the trails @ 8:41 with 1283' elevation gain Today is the day that I had originally wanted to do a 50k in Utah. I'm glad I didn't, because it was COLD there! I extrapolated my time would have been about 4:40 - 4:45 on that course. I'll check the results soon. I also contemplated a costume 5k in Oakland for today, wearing my Dr Rockso costume (my profile pic), but it seemed like too much bother.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Twocat, I am so glad that you are getting back to eating after this ordeal you've been through.  That bread does look wonderful.

Marj, thanks for the update on the race, congrats to your GS's 1AG!! How did you do in the race? I am sure that Jay was a wonderful RD.

tomwhite, that surgery date sure came up quickly, none too soon for you I'm sure. Good luck with your recovery.
              MikeE, we have 1 qualifier for the state CC meet.  Brrrr,,,,, what a cold day they had to run this week.  It's been so cold and windy here with the exception of Wednesday.  I spent my whole lunch hour digging up the gladioli and dahlias from the flower beds. After work I got the crocus, tulips, daffodils and hyacinth all planted and watered. Whew, just in time for the frost.

Metalmancpa, you sure went all out for the Expo purchases! With all of the Garmin choices it takes a lot of research.  Good luck on your first marathon tomorrow, that wind could be interesting but the low 60's sounds good.

Falconfixer, have a good trip to the coast (which one?).  Super speedy long run for you.  Are you and MikeE going to try to meet at Richmond?

Jlynne, so good to hear about your great race and award.  You are still in the competition, yeah!  I haven't watched a scary movie for quite a while.  It seems like there is always hockey or football on the main TV in our house. I usually fall asleep once I sit down to watch anything.

I am looking forward to checking out the race report thread tomorrow.  Nice races for Tammy (HM), Paul (a chilly 15K) and Quickadder (10 Mile Trail).  I've been in a race running without sight of other runners and that is not fun, especially if you are dead last like I was.

I really need to check in here more often.  I think I got confused when twocat had my days all mixed up.  I see Erika is starting to deal with those nasty road conditions with yucky ice (and other stuff).  After seeing where you live it's impressive that you can run up that hill much less when it's covered with ice and snow.  I went for a little 3 mile run today and there was thick ice covering the grass down by the lakeshore.  It was so sunny today but I sure didn't dress properly.  I thought a LS shirt and vest would be fine but it really did "feel like" 41°. Why don't I believe weather.com?

We had a wonderful women's conference at our church last night and today with an excellent speaker.  The food was pretty good too! I used the rest of my apples to make apple crisp and a cake.  One of them will go to potluck tomorrow.  I like the cake recipe because it calls for unpeeled apples, yeah!

Gotta go check out the Wild game.....

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

catwhoorg

Labrat

1:37:06 for my half. A PR but not what I was after.

A RR will get posted.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

...ok. the video is Hilarious........

Me too.........
                  ...........so neat,....., in fact,....I was signing up too, . . .
                  .........until the part about gremlins, ...polars, etc.

........................................I’ll never get.

==========

I am putting Tet in Charge til I get back

huh . . . . . fill in for Tom?
                  Might as well try to be MikeE
                  jlynne - not to worry.

I’ve got no qualification for being Mike but, for the first time in my life since being born in one 74-years ago, I was in the hospital too on last Friday a week ago (10/20) for a “little routine” hour-and-a-half out-patient procedure to put some errant innards back in place I’ve been putting off for almost a year.  However, with post-operation walking being recommended, I figured on walking last weekend’s annual UW Homecoming 10K on 10/22 and should be back to normal <<<(ed note - more walking)>>> for today’s Carkeek Park 12-hour Fun Run I’ve Ioved ever since discovering in 2009 that, with even more judicious pacing than for marathons, even non-trainers can do ultras too. Fortunately, it was routine, . . . even though it still doesn't feel like it.
                  Maybe I’ll be ready for some pool running by Monday, though.
                  We’ll see.<<<(ed.note:  don't count on it)>>>  
                  Good luck, Tom.
                  What’s your projected operation/recovery timing?
                  ......===============================
                  ps metalman - counting three running shoes (Nike Waffle stompers - 1977 / Brooks Vantage - 1980 and Saucony somethings in 1990) and a couple of Timex IM 100-lap watches, that’s more than I’ve spent all my life, . . . but now about the same as the entry fee for a single IM.  Have fun.    I'd be there too, . . . . it wasn't 3,000 miles away. . . , and, oh, those three little incisions for routine laparoscopic inguinal something I'll never say, . . . . plus if one of jay's races could be included too.
                  pps - I wasn’t running then yet but, having spent the fall of 1972 in WH, have fun in the CCM, especially in the autumn winds I do remember very well from a couple of sailings on WHOI vessels in those days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

1:37:06 for my half. A PR but not what I was after.

Still - Sweet!

Erika - bummer, and yuck...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."