Masters Running

Race Reports for the September 15 & 16 weekend (Read 24 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our intrepid racer a fun race weekend!!!!

09/15 wildchild - Sourdough Trail Marathon, Nederland, CO

09/15 pfriese - Outpace Cancer, OKC OK

Please do come back here and tell us your story.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Placeholder for Equinox Race Report! Coming soon to an RA forum near you... Gotta figure out how to post pictures here again.

Check out the pictures and a good article from the News-Miner. I'll get mine done eventually...

C-R

Indy Irish Fest Kilted Mile - Sept 16

Wrestling kiddo and I ran this together. He beat me by 5 seconds. It was 90 degrees but we had a blast. No pictures yet but when they put them up I will post.

It was only a mile race so it shouldn't be a long race report - right?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nifty placeholder, especially with paper's 16 golden pics, including Ester Dome, The Chute, etc. plus the "tunnel" apparently of new saplings I don't quite remember from 1991 to say nothing about course AG records for 79-yo (5:41:22) and 80 (8:18:12). Thanks.

eta ps - what's an Irish race doing in Sept?

pps - What's an Irish race doing in kilts?

DS too?

Better have pics for this one.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

pfriese

Just a short report on my race. It was a good morning for a race. This race was an inaugural fundraising 5K for cancer research at the OU Cancer Center. I retired from there 3 years ago. So, it was a race I wanted to do. I'm currently using Hanson's marathon training plan. He's pretty clear about NO racing during marathon training & this was the second race I did anyways this month. Rule breaking. Even though this was an inaugural race, they still had over 700 entries! The weather is still warm & humid here. This may be the hilliest 5K race route in Oklahoma City. I finished with a 23:14 on a hilly course which was good for 1stAG & 14thOA. Added bonus of beating my finish time from the 5K 2 weeks ago which was on a much faster/faster course. Training for NYC Marathon is going well!

Paul

evanflein

Nifty placeholder, especially with paper's 16 golden pics, including Ester Dome, The Chute, etc. plus the "tunnel" apparently of new saplings I don't quite remember from 1991 to say nothing about course AG records for 79-yo (5:41:22) and 80 (8:18:12). Thanks.

Tet, the Tunnel is new, as are a few other trail modifications made in the last couple of years. Mostly to appease a land owner up there who didn't like all the traffic at the top, so now the Tunnel routes runners slightly north of the road, and a companion new trail on the south side for the return and approach to the Chute. So now the course doesn't actually cross the top of the hill on the road. Kind of silly if you ask me, as there are still a lot of runners up there, but apparently this made peace with whoever it is. At one point, they threatened to close the Chute entirely. What would the Equinox be without the Chute??

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

At one point, they threatened to close the Chute entirely. What would the Equinox be without the Chute??

Thanks.

Yeah, I remember your discussion of the Chute controversy a couple of years ago but have been afraid to ask if it ever got finally resolved so was delighted to see the Chute pics in the News-Miner coverage. It sure looks a lot steeper than I remember it but that’s probably what an intervening 27 years’ll do.  Skiers used to love it but I don't think I could walk down it backwards now.  Can't imagine the road up to Ester Dome being that steep either.  How long is that climb?  Does it still start after you come out of the woods?

Maybe the tunnel’ll become a iconic part of the course too. Kind of odd, though,

that all the leaves there still seem to be mostly summertime green.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

erika - not that I want to know everything possible about the Equinox Marathon but, same as the Hawaii Ironman used to be on the first Saturday of October immediately before or on the first full moon of the month, I assumed the same for the Equinox Marathon but this year's autumnal equinox is at 5:54 ADT this Saturday, September 22, 2018 instead so wasn't it a week early?