Masters Running

Another Imperial Palace Marathon in Tokyo on not that much training. (Read 216 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I vowed not to do any training until timmy gets a job so it was with a little trepidation that I lined up for the early start of the 89th Imperial Palace Marathon yesterday, . . . I mean today, . . . knowing that, with having done the 87th edition two weeks ago, I`d be running three marathons in a row since dizzy daze marathon on 3/28 with no other running inbetween.  It was already 71 degrees at 6am but I kept up for the first couple of the 8-plus laps with my 72yo nemesis Nakamura (642 marathons) who`d beaten me by more than an hour on 5/9. 

He`s the chairman of the Takebashi Marathon Club that sponsors biweekly (and sometimes weekly) marathons around the 5K perimeter of the Imperial Palace in downtown Tokyo.  Back in the eighties when I lived here, we`d both run in some of the monthly 5/10K events and an annual marathon the Global Marathon Association used to do around the Palace  Upon their demise in 2007, he reincarnated Global as a pure marathon club.  Their motto is "it`s not a race for time but for a good time` is after my fitness runner`s heart.

I inadvertently slipped ahead of him when, as chairman, he had to stop running and register runners for the regular 8am start but he caught up again near the end of my (and his) seventh lap which I was walking with Horie already on his last lap for what-he-knew-by-then would be his first 5-plus marathon since he started the 42.195k`ers in 1974. I remember mine so well too that it was an honor to help cheer him up a little and teach him a little about PR`s at the other end of the scale.

Fortunately, the walk got me refreshed enough that my eighth lap was faster than the first and ended me up with a 6:57:35 to Nakamura`s 7:10:12, itself just enough to allow 1,248-marathoner Kojima to "goal-in" 27 seconds ahead too at 7:09:45.  It had just reached 84 degrees and I was glad they knew a public bath house with a cold water tub too (to say nothing of the jacuzzi-like water-jet nozzles pool)..

ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー

erika - the little foot-arch gremlin from last year that somehow moved to my right knee in March still scares me and feels like it`s going but pop Mr. Knee-cap out of place any time, especially when walking up stairs.  However, somehow, he behaves during running and is just the perfect excuse I`m needing for suddenly seeming to slow down so much from the low 5hr`s of even last year to the upper 6`s this year. 

ps - though I never imagined that a seven hour marathon could have anything to do with running, I found out in a hampered hamstring marathon that I ran all the way in 2006 (for my current PR of 7:12:54), that shortened strides in deference to hamstring, knee, or whatever, still allow it to be running the same mid/forefoot form as for longer striding. , , , , and it feels just like running too.. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

arf

MM #405

You are my hero, and I miss you and congrats on this marathon my ultra trail running buddy.

Take care..

Lots of Love,   arf

Way to go on another joyful marathon, tet.  Congratulations.

TomS

SteveP

Man  you make that sound like fun

SteveP

Renee the dog

Tet,

Sounds like a load of fun!!!  Thanks for the race report!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Domo arigato, tet-san.
              TammyinGP

I think Fortunate One meant to say "Mister Roboto"

You just have fun whereever you go dontcha Tet?!!  Congratulations on your "I haven't been training but will run a marathon anyways" adventure!

Tammy

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Jon,

Congrats on another imprompto marathon.  Sounds like alot of fun.

How long are you over in Japan for?  I'm heading to Yokosuka on Friday for a few days of work then back home.  Looks like I will be working straight though.  Wish I had the time to even see the Imperial Palace let alone have the time to run too. 

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

don:t touch my mustache (dou itashimashite) everyone

Mike-san - plans have been changing but I should be back by this weekend.

However, you could get on the train in the am, do a morning work out around the palace, and be back in Yokosuka for lunch in case it would work out.  Heck, I:ve ridden my bike down there.  You:ll have a great trip right on the verge of the start of the June rainy season for running in an almost-constant cool mist.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

HI Jon!!!!

I'm glad you're having fun and running a lot despite the heat and humidity of the Tokyo summer!!!

Looking forward to seeing you at one or more  of the many Seattle area June races!!!!!!!

Francesca

evanflein

Hope that knee behaves! Sounds like fun and yay to you for beating your nemesis! Looking forward to seeing you in Seattle next month so the fun can continue!

Marathon Maniac #957

Their motto is "it`s not a race for time but for a good time`

I love that motto, and that's exactly what I will hold in my mind at a longish trail run I have planned in a couple weeks.  That knee pain sounds a little scary - have you had it looked at?  Great job on another fine marathon with friends (and nemesis')!  I am so looking forward to meeting you, Tet, in June...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Tet, you are amazing. You have fun wherever you go. Way to live life at its fullest. Congrats on yet another Imperial Palace Marathon. It seems to me like it would be grandiose to run this one. Pictures please.

And now, let us take care of that knee since we want you at Seattle Rock and Roll.

UltraPosie,

President

US chapter of the tet knee

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

#artbydmcbride

Congratulations on your happy marathon in Tokyo.   I am looking forward to seeing you run another in June in Seattle.  Smile

Runners run

Tet, you and your Tokyo maniac friends, you're all nutty is what I say!  I've got a lot to learn from you.  See you in June.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."