Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 11.15.12 (Read 354 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm glad the cardio guy is telling you you're OK, biker Ribs!

"Yeah, and I've probably overshared, as I've done before, but hey, that's how you get over these sorts of things, right?" OM, you're a gem!

Welcome back, Lamerunner! For someone who didn't have enough time to train they way they wanted, you did pretty dang well at OBX! I'm glad Manchester could accommodate some of the runners from NY. We got some inquires at our half too, but didn't have that flexibility. I felt bad about having to turn those folks away...

Having dreams about taking someone to the dentist is just a little weird, don'tcha think?

"Everybody’s different but not training that much, if any, makes it more possible to blame the aging process for deteriorating times over standard distances over the years" Tet, in that case, wouldn't you place the blame on not training that much, rather than aging? After all, under-training affects performance at any age.

No workout today: My internal alarm clock went off late enough to throw me off schedule. So I stayed in and spent time on core-strengthening exercises. The cat was helping by walking under me while I was doing planks to make sure I wasn't sagging, and sitting on me for some crunches to make sure I was really working my abs.

Enjoy your mid-month Thursday!

Jay

(Half Fanatic #3156)

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//........need to hit OM up

for some more

SidePlank Ideas,

I have done them so  regularly

I tore (or pulled) the muscles in my UpperBack.

''Dum-Da-Dum-Dum''

my New ThemeSong

=======

pt xs (shudder)

and

double weight sessions today

.....................good running guys...............maybe I could get Off the floor and kinda Lean me up against something.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

This was going to be a rest day for me but, did the Jay thing this morning, I woke up at 4:30 and I was not able to go back to sleep, so I decided to go out for a short and very sweet 2 miler in the rain. Ohh it was so peaceful out there.

BikerSpareribs, how is Riblet doing with his piano lessons? We have not have any youtube performance from him for a while.

Erika, how is your papa doing?

Dievechief, it is so good to see you posting here again

Lamerunner, welcome back and great job in your race, as always.

I wonder how PBJ and Tallrunner doing.

Jlynne, we miss you when you are not here!

Well, I am off now to the  office to drive for 1:30' to present at a regional seminar. I am a bit nervous to be presenting to a large crowd once again since I have not done so for over three years. In my former job I used to present to large groups all the time at large PNW type conferences, but not in my current job. Funny, how like training, you can loss your sharpness in public speaking when you don't use it much.

Hey, it is Thursday, folks!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

OrangeMat

MM #6177

...mornin' jay//........need to hit OM up

for some more

SidePlank Ideas,

I have done them so  regularly

I tore (or pulled) the muscles in my UpperBack.

Hmm, maybe that means you shouldn't be doing them as much?? I dunno, just a thought....

It's Thursday, I'm leaving Saturday, which means it's time to start doing the laundry so I can pack. I suppose I'll run a little today, really have no clue how to do this two-weekends-in-a-row thing. Massage was good yesterday; MT said I really had no overly tight spots anywhere, and we're already set up for my post-Monkey appointment next Wednesday. Unlike Jay, I slept well and soundly, as I've been doing all week. Rest and recovery's the name of the game!

Happy Thursday, all! Smile

Yikes, TW -- you've got to take it a bit easier! Torn anything is not a real good thing.

One thing about cold weather is that it's not bad at all when there's zero wind as yesterday and today. I actually dressed fairly lightly considering and  had a good 5-mile run with one of my senior triathlete friends. So I'm pretty settled now into my winter workout routines while getting some runs in on the trails that will be pretty much closed until spring once the snow starts flying.

At Mari points out, it is Thursday, but then I guess that every day has to be some day of the week. Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Lame—great to see you here again.  Sounds you folks did a fantastic job with Manchester in the wake of NYC.

Ribs—glad to hear the good health new.  You continuously amaze me; I had no idea you were a biker, too.

I received an early holiday present yesterday and went out with a brand-spanking new Gramin 310 this morning.  It’s been ages since I had a Garmin that actually worked properly. Kind of fun.  Didn’t go any faster, though. Roll eyes  7.1 miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks everybody.

Got 6 in at easy pace, 58:40.  Gorgeous weather we're having here, bright sunny skies and mid-40's. 

Mariposai, thanks for asking about Riblet. He continues to take lessons and is playing well.  He would play even better if he enjoyed it more, but he's 16 now and interested in playing soccer, girls, driving the car, girls, eating tons of food, girls and so on.   Spareribs

Ribs- Hopefully USADA isn't cracking down on Crestor.

Dave59

Ribs- Hopefully USADA isn't cracking down on Crestor.

Big grin

Piano lessons are great for kids even when they don't totally like it. 

I went to the gym this morning for some ARC training and weights.

I also went to the doctor but I didn't learn anything.  Since this has been a recurring issue I have to go get it checked out with a scope down the throat.  i am supposed to hear something in the next week or so as to when and where. 

By the way, to clarify yesterday, Cindy is the one talking retirement, not me.  I guess 31.5 years at a large chemical company is all she can handle. Joking

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - I know you will do great!

OM - Don't feel like you need to run today.  With two marathons a week apart, I don't think lots of rest can hurt at all.

4.15 easy paced miles for me this morning on the TM, watching the end of my movie.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

OM - Don't feel like you need to run today.  With two marathons a week apart, I don't think lots of rest can hurt at all.

What Holly said...but don't under estimate what a little 2 mile shake out can do.

An easy 6 for me this am.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks for the conflicting advice, Holly and Slo, it's much appreciated.... Wink I've decided that my body is saying skip the run today and walk in Costco instead. It feels like after the massage of yesterday, it's best to just let things continue to settle, especially since I wasn't 100% for this past Sunday's marathon. I mean, I feel ok to run today, just not chomping at the bit to do so. I'm starting to learn that's what fully rested feels like. I'm also realizing that I hardly EVER feel that way. Live (and run) and learn!

Piano lessons are great for kids even when they don't totally like it. 

...so true,

I had to take them and look how I turned out........

========

.....maybe WILL back off on the SidePlanks,,,,,,,,,there is a Standing Stretch similiar for the Inside Thigh that might be less crippling.

I also

emailed the PT

so we'll see if she even Bothers to respond.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

No running today. Up during the night  to find that my new granddaughter,Vera Flynn, was born. To the hospital in  York Maine to see her and the proud parents, Kelly and Mike. photo to follow.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Everybody’s different but not training that much, if any, makes it more possible to blame the aging process for deteriorating times over standard distances over the years" Tet, in that case, wouldn't you place the blame on not training that much, rather than aging? After all, under-training affects performance at any age.

Thanks jay.  Happy Half-Fanatics.

While training should make me faster at any age, that’s for sure, I’m thinking that just running “as-is” without much, if any, training over the years should help take the element of various levels of training (and associated injuries which don’t happen) out of the performance equation and leave age more as the primary culprit for fading times than anything else.
                                Mariposai - I bet your public speaking is like riding a bike, storytelling, poems memorized eons ago, etc. and you’ll soon be relishing it just as before.
                                OM - training is highly overrated, especially for two miles..

Happy Vera Flynn henruns. great name.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)