Masters Running

Wed January 2nd Daily (Read 309 times)

Tramps

Good morning.  Back to work for a lot of folks, including me.

Nice snow pics yesterday.  It’s been fairly mild around here.  I haven’t had to break out long running pants yet this season and the screw shoes stay on the shelf.  That’s fine with me.

Crews trimming trees around power lines showed up this morning, so I had an audience for my run.  I’m sure I provided some amusement.

EZ 5.4.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Back to work here too. It's weird having a 3-day week, but I'll take it.

Some good outings, races and celebrations yesterday. And some great postings from the usual suspects (TW, most notably).

DW and I did a local 5K yesterday with SIL, BIL, and their two girls (ages 11 and 15). The older girl wanted to beat her time from last year (34:??), which was her first 5K. She's only done one since then (she swims, and rarely runs). So I told her I'd racewalk and pace her to a faster time. Because she needed a pre-race potty break, we started near the back of the pack (luckily, the race was chip-timed, with start/finish mats so we could still go by net time). The first mile was slow as we zig-zagged through the slower runners/walkers. Mile 2 was good and steady. She needed a 20-sec. walking break in mile 3, but we made up a little of that time, and once the finish was in sight, I told her to sprint till she crossed the line. She finished in 31:53, and so was about 2.5 minutes faster than last year, which was great. Her sister also beat her time from last year. Even my BIL, with whom I used to run often about 20 years ago but who has since stopped running and has gained some weight, ran most of the race and smoked his time from last year. So it was a good time all around!

It was a balmy 11F this morning (-3 with the wind chill), so I wore an extra shirt under my windbreaker, and broke out the serious mittens. I racewalked 3.2 miles, and went just fast enough to stay warm. The bright half moon hung high in the sky to light the road for me, which was nice. Got back, stretched, did my daily plank, and thoroughly enjoyed the hot shower afterwards.

My new laptop is supposed to arrive today - I only have a laptop, which I take back and forth between home and the office. I'm not looking forward to the process of porting everything over from the old one to the new one, but I am looking forward to working on the new one.

Enjoy your Wednesday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Tramps and Jay.

Watch out for the tree timmers Tramps. I used to work at a utility and that group has a strange sense of humor.

Nice pacing Jay and good luck on the porting. Ick.

I got an early 5k and core work this morning. Will run again tonight. Kind of got used to doubling. Odd. Back to work for me as well. Oddly quiet for a first day back.

Cheers all.

And just for Tom

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hi Tramps, Jay,and CR!

Jay,cool story on pacing your niece. Maybe she will get hooked on running someday.  I guarantee she WILL remember uncle Jay pacing her years from now!

Running today for myself,I don't know? My left calf is still sore. I don't feel too motivated either. It's cold out, I have a 13 month old in my lap as I type this,and everyone else is asleep. I might just do the treadmill thing when DW wakes up. I'm bumming because my stepson left yesterday to go back to the service from leave. I have no idea when I'll see him again. I'm just in a bad mood. Seems like he's here,and then-Poof! gone.

I have a daughter leaving for college next year,and then a son another 2 years after that. I hope it's  not always this painful.Sad sorry for the sentimental BS,but that's where I'm at today.

Have a good day people.

5 easy miles ...

ROLL TIDE !!!

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

ROLL TIDE !!!

....Amen to that//..........I Fear

we are going to have to have a Traditional Fudge Wager placed on this Epic Struggle......

=======

double weight sessions

pt xs

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

Morning all,

First swim of the year, 1000m this morning. I'll ride the bike to nowhere after work.

Paul

C-R

we are going to have to have a Traditional Fudge Wager placed on this Epic Struggle......

I like. Details please.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Slo

Drake, I have one done with school but living back at home...and one currently in college. He's on break until Feb but still holds a job in the college town so we haven't seen much of him.  I left for basic training 2 weeks after I graduated high school, spent 15 days at home after A.I.T. before shipping of to Germany. My parents saw very little of me durning those 15 days and not again for over 20 months.

Somewhat glad the holidays are over. Such a busy season. I'll be happy to have something resemble a routine again.

3 degs away from zero this morning. Sides roads still have about a 60 - 70% ice pack. I was dumb enough to ride this morning. Took me a little extra time this morning.

King of PhotoShop

Good job on that 5K Jay, helping the family.

My running exuberance caught up with me today.  Drove to the dirt track, did one slow lap (1.1 miles) and was so fatigued I called it a day and drove home.

Question for you techno people.  The other day I went on this site and I don't know if I clicked on something or what but now every page is huge and I have to use scroll bars to go side to side or up and down to read others' posts. Same with the training log.  My question is, did I inadvertently mess with my own view settings?  How do I fix this?  Thanks.  Spareribs

C-R

Question for you techno people.  The other day I went on this site and I don't know if I clicked on something or what but now every page is huge and I have to use scroll bars to go side to side or up and down to read others' posts. Same with the training log.  My question is, did I inadvertently mess with my own view settings?  How do I fix this?  Thanks.  Spareribs

Ribs - Is this across the board (all programs) or just on the internet? Assuming just the Internet, it depends on the browser you are using. If Windows explorer go to the upper right and look for a "gear". Click that and you should be able to find the zoom feature. If using Chrome go to the top right and look for three bar icon. Click on it and you should find the zoom there and adjust.

If all programs, go to the desktop and right click. You can find the graphics settings there.

Hope that helps.

Dave59

3 cold easy miles and some push-ups for me this morning.

Ribs - On Firefox, holding the CTRL key and hitting the "+" sign makes the display bigger, the "-" makes the display smaller, and "0" (zero) resets to the default size.  (Ctrl-0)

If you accidentally hit Ctrl +, it could be that the browser is "remembering" the size you selected for this page.

Not sure about Explorer or Chrome or others.

'morning, all. 3 lazy miles at the track with my track buddy today. My big bowl game is tomorrow -- hope there's still leftover fudge

Ribs: it sounds like you indavertantly changed your screen resolution.  Just right click on your monitor with no windows open and see what it is set to...the lower the resolution the larger the display will be taking up more of your screen etc.  For example my resolution is currently set at 1920 x 1080 and if I dropped it to 800 x 600 I would have the same issue you are seeing now.

King of PhotoShop

I called Hally, who as many of you know, works at a help desk troubleshooting problems for idiots like me.

I had fixed the original problem thanks to Dave, but I did something else that put the entire site page in front of me so I had no toolbars or menus.   Hally told me I was in "Kiosk Mode" and to just press F11, which fixed the problem.  So thank you Dave and others who came right to my help.  All set now.  Spareribs