Masters Running

Sunday Nov 5 into the dark! (Read 35 times)

evanflein

Nice get together for the east coast RA crew! That is a fast crowd for the older guys. Love the Coastwalker picture, thanks Marj!

Dave, I love that cartoon! And that edition, it's perfect. We do a few of those 3 day weekend things, and it's definitely better to stay somewhat close to home. We wet to NY for a "long weekend" and to see Hally/Barb a year ago or so, and it was really too fast. I've got the leave to burn, just don't have the time to spend. This coming weekend we'll be going to Seattle and I'll take Friday off, so that's nice to have coming up.

Holly, nice to get that 17 miler in! I'm envious, to be sure. I have no interest in doing a long run on the TM, and with the new snow we got last night, I'm not doing it outside. So, we'll see what happens. But I also love that commercial, can't remember what it's for, about responding to the e-mail before you wake up. It feels like that sometimes, right?

Congrats, Opus! Nice to have that decision in your lap instead of someone else's. I'm at least 2 years away (almost exactly) and at most 2.5 years (if I want to work through the winter and get a little extra service boost) from retirement, and there's nothing that will keep me there longer than that.

If you haven't checked out Metalmancpa's post on his race picture, you really should. Very cool.

So today has more snow, a little bit cooler temps, and I feel a little better (although I suspect good meds are to credit as well as time), but not going to run outside. I've also lost pretty much all mojo to run long distances, maybe because running outside isn't a great option at this point. So, we'll see what happens. I'm still ahead of the pace bunny, but I lowered my goal quite a bit earlier this year when I was injured so it's not like I'll hit the original 2,400 mile goal, but oh well. These are all first world problems, right? I know I'm pretty fortunate in many ways, so just whining.

metalmancpa

I ran the Spartan Sprint at Fenway Park with my son today. Five years ago we did this and after the first obstacle he told me to go on without him as he was trash. That race I did really well and my son finished 2nd to last. I never forgave myself for listening to him that day and not running WITH him, and this time we ran together. We both finished the 4-mile obstacle course in 56:35 which had plenty of jogging/running through the ballpark. Preliminary results are coming in, but we finished in the middle of the pack which is a HUGE improvement for my son, who said me just keeping moving forward helped him not stop. It was a great time.

Spartan Sprint

If you haven't checked out Metalmancpa's post on his race picture, you really should. Very cool.

Thank you very much. 

WOOOHOOOO Shalane Flanagan!!!

Marj - that sure is a speedy 65+ male crowd - incredible!!  The pictures were great - so sorry I didn't keep this race on my radar!! Sad I keep missing the meet-ups lately!!

Erika - so sorry about the snow/ice this early --- I am so not looking forward to any of that!!

Holly - I love that you get out and run 17 just because it's long run day -- you are awesome!!

Metalman -- sounds like a great experience for you and your son!! I had friends out there yesterday!!

So happy for all my friends who competed in IM Florida yesterday!! One of our group came in 1st male age group 60-64 in 11:04 and our triathlon coach placed 2nd female 60-64 in 11:23!!  Everyone else finished in awesome fashion even one who finished in the last hour of the race!!

No run to report - love this recovery phase!! Instead, I spent time with my sister as her practice model for a cointour make-up class she is taking. She is a licensed aesthetician and already does beautiful make up work, but wanted to expand her knowledge. Fun Fun Fun!!

denise

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post after work and before Mass.  Took advantage of the extra hour and got in 12 miles at an 8:25 pace before drill.  May have a couple more double digit days....but not at one time.  I'll scale back the mileage some this week but not too far on the intensity.

Opus, great news about the contract!  I'd be upset about your reaction to the "games" over at the 4th.....but I can't since I'm the same way down on the tanker end when I hear the sirens go off during their exercises.  One more nice thing about heavies.

Will try to get back after Mass.  But if not, have a great night everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

Metalmancpa - great choice, way more rewarding, and I love the picture!

Marj - that is a fast crowd - very inspiring!

Erika - exactly, PTO to burn, but can't keep up if I do.

Deez - if I lived closer I would volunteer to be a subject for your sister....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Opus77 you should know that coastwalker keeps large buckets of ice water hanging over the chairs at the dinner table. He pulls the chain and wham! It is why everybody is not only civil at his home brewed political discussion get togethers (which are a regular occurrence) but amazingly everyone always comes around to his point of view!

I should have known better than to get on Facebook. I taped the NYC marathon and planned to watch it while I used the elliptical this week. First thing on my news feed, "Shalane Flanagan!" I should have known. I know too many runners to not think news like that would be anything but the major topic of discussion. By the time I got here and saw deez4boyz post it was old news.

I returned late Friday from Houston. I was tired all day yesterday. Attributed it travel fatigue. In the middle of last night I found out it was attributable to coming down with a cold. I have a full blown sore throat. Fortunately, I also have full blown throat lozenges. My plan was to run intervals at the track today. The closest I got to that was intervals around the kitchen island to get water to take some more aspirin with.  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat - that's a good technique to persuade people I guess!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I met up with 2 people who are friends with Holly (Tara & Renee).

Lucky dog!  Sorry about the race, but...lucky dog!

I went 6 easy miles before church, this morning.

I went into work for about 3 1/2 hours, today, because I am really swamped and Mondays make being swamped even swampier.  I had better not hear any complaints when I leave early on Thursday to catch a plane.

Oh...crap!  Did somebody say, "plane"?  Have I ever told you how much I hate flying?

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Oh--the high for Saturday in Richmond is 50, now.  As long as the wind doesn't pick up, I don't care.

7.2 @ 7:50

Daylight saving time is a caveman holdover. It is utterly NOT NEEDED anymore. Why do we hold on to these dated traditions? The transition back to "normal time" would not be so harsh in the Fall. Better yet, make the entire year "daylight saving time" so we don't have it getting dark at 5pm in the winter.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

This'll be quick, but it looks like we had some great running this weekend.  Sweet! And add Shalane's win - Double Sweet! And Metal competing with his son - Triple Sweet!!

Stupid purchase - my most recent you mean ('cause there have been a LOT)??  Two hammocks for the price of one . . . then waited too long to return them.  I will never use them, so I don't know what I'm gonna do.

I slept in this morning, made a fairly healthy breakfast, then worked for about 3 hrs doing transcription and The Hub's invoice.  That was the extent of my "workout."

My heart is sick over the shootings in Texas, absolutely sick. We both sat watching the news, tearing up.  I don't know what to think or say, except I will be praying for the families and community. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Yes, the tragedy in Texas is horrible. When will we have enough?

Twocat, sounds like you have what I have. That raw, scratchy sore throat is the worst. Well, I shouldn't be saying that to someone who just had his tongue operated on, but other than that... I'm better today but it's still a nagging scratchy soreness, and I'm sneezing a lot too. 

Did more work on the house today, and tried to rearrange the furniture in our living room, but nothing seems to work. We need to throw out all our furniture and start over. Ha. So, since that isn't gonna happen, we'll live with a dysfunctional living room.

Ran 7.1 miles on the treadmill this afternoon, got off after 5 to light the charcoal and get the chickens ready. DH came home and got the grill all ready and put the chickens on while I did 2.1 more miles. That's it for me. 31.6 miles for the week, which I guess isn't too bad.