Masters Running

Friday, April 2 daily dose of running (and stuff) (Read 415 times)

evanflein

Leslie, I love your avatar! I love black kitties...

I don't want to take a rest day, but it might end up that way. Probably not a bad thing, but I get so restless on rest days (?) that they just aren't worth it. But I dropped my membership at the athletic club end of March, and I've yet to really join the student rec center/pool here on campus (although I'll drop off my form today)... but I've got errands to do at lunch, and the kids have soccer tonight from 6-8, and yadda yadda yadda. I could run, but I don't run on Friday's (at least not so far this year). Keeping to the Monday and Friday off has been very good for keeping my foot happy, I think, and now is not the time to mess that up. So... long story short. I may be a slug today.

This weekend is my last big running weekend, with 10 Saturday and 20 Sunday. My goal is to do at least 32-33 miles this weekend. Then taper! Yay, that sounds nice.

Glad to hear Baby Will is improving, hang in there Jlynne!

Jlynne - yes, pooping is generally a good sign ;-).  Will should be home in time for Easter!  So nice of you to do the Easter eggs for the shelter!  DH wants to dye eggs this year - not sure what's gotten in to him, but I picked up eggs and a dye kit.  I just zone out on the elliptical - I listen to the regional news and then GMA intermittently.  The only thing that I usually remember is the weather forecast. 

The walk over to the gym was spectacular - I've been craving sunshine, and I got a good dose of it.  The vinca is blooming, and even the dandelions look good (in someone else's yard). 

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Jlynne glad to hear the little guy is on the mend!

Welcome to the not running club (well at least for the day):  hopeful4ever, dg., breger1, Sarge, SueT48, rochrunner, Holly S., PBJ, Jlynne, fatozzig(?), and evanflein(?).  No, elliptical machines, spin machines or any machine other than a TM does not kick you out of the club so feel free to indulge!  Fortunately, you all will likely be ex members by day's end Sunday.  I am sure tslebs will take care of the long running club members for today.

I got back from the gym and then just got out of the shower.  DW is home today having decided to take Good Friday off.  She comes into the bathroom holding a phone saying,  "Somebody named Ken and it sounds important."  What timing!  Yes it was important.  Work related so I will not drag you through the details.  Ugh!  Anyway all is well now.  Whew!

Last but not least, I ate the mango so there will be no mango muffins tomorrow.  It was a good mango!  So DW and her friends will get something else for after their scheduled 11 mile run.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Twocat...   that was an excellent solution to the "what to do with the Mango??" quandry!
          Mariposai

Jlynne glad to hear the little guy is on the mend!

Welcome to the not running club (well at least for the day):  hopeful4ever, dg., breger1, Sarge, SueT48, rochrunner, Holly S., PBJ, Jlynne, fatozzig(?), and evanflein(?).  No, elliptical machines, spin machines or any machine other than a TM does not kick you out of the club so feel free to indulge!  Fortunately, you all will likely be ex members by day's end Sunday.  I am sure tslebs will take care of the long running club members for today.

I am so excited to see the name of all these people who are getting a butterfly hug for resting today

twocat, yeap, good choice on your mango predicament. Mangos are too good to hide them in a muffin.

Wildchild, I can't wait to see your pictures. We vacationed in that area for three weeks when the boys were little and we keep telling ourselves that we need to go back.

Erika, indeed have a big weekend ahead. Enjoy your long run...so who is cooking Easter dinner at your house?

I most likely eat on the road since I just found out that they are sending me to Olympia all week next week...so Sunday will be my traveling day. I could always cook our Easter dinner on Sat. but that sounds so wrong since it is Resurrection Sunday we are celebrating...hummm what to do, what to do...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Talked to my DIL this morning. Will is off oxygen and they're hoping his lungs will be clear enough to go home tomorrow. She said he had a pretty restless night but was eating and pooping pretty well. Guess those are good signs, right?

DS#2 and I hardboiled and colored 5 dozen eggs yesterday. Took them to the homeless shelter this morning with some fresh strawberries that were on sale and a couple of gallons of orange juice. One of the regulars told me it was just like going out for Easter brunch. We are blessed, people.

so glad to hear baby Will is improving and that he should be home for Easter Sunday!!

That was a wonderful thing you and your DS did - we are blessed people for sure!!

5.0 sunny miles back in MA for me.........legs were tired - its been a long, wonderful week and i hope to round it off with 7 miles tomorrow with my running club so i can FINALLY get in a 20 mile week!!

denise

Hi everyone. Just trying to not tweak. 4.6 easy miles this am. Planning on 12 tomorrow.

My DW stuffed a big pile of envelopes for me early this week and dropped them in the mail. She's such a peach. I think the fundraising is more stressful than the training. Also planning a Comedy Night fundraiser for Saturday, 4/10 and that's taking time to plan. I can't wait for it to all be over so I can relax. BTW, If you're in the Melrose, MA area and would like to come, just send me a PM. It's family-friendly comedy .

Jlynne, that was a wonderful thing!  I heard these shelters need fresh food the most.  My son's class put together Halloween bags for the shelter this year, including toothbrushes and toothpaste.

Good news on BabyWill!

Ok, I have never read of so many non-running  WUSSES on RA before.  What you all on vacation today?

I had a most tough it out run this morning, in 41F, wind gusts and driving rain.  It was the worst conditions I have ever run in, almost (Seattle Half Marathon was worse but I was too happy to care).  I was drenched when I got home since my rain/wind jacket is semi-permeable.  It was only 6 miles but that was enough.  I don't even want to look at the forcast for the weekend.

I saw a latex glove and a plastic briefcase, you know, the usual stuff.

My DS is getting better slowly, still not really eating but drinking lots of gingerale.  He always gets harder hit by these flus than the rest of the family.  He gets to sleep in Momma's bed when he is sick which I can tell he likes even at his age (almost 10).

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Just looked at the weather report for Sacramento and Auburn next weekend.  Suppose to be between 64 (Sacramento) and 57 (Auburn) and showers.    I all over the 57 (or even a tad lower), but showers??  That sucks.  Maybe Mother Nature will change her mind within the next 10 days . . . .

Erika - We have 4 black kitties and have had to put down to other black kitties over the past few years.  We also have   a black and white and an orange and white.  Not sure how those last two got into the mix.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kimmie

Sorry I've been MIA lately.   We went away for most of the week to the Rapphanock (sp?)  River.  There wasn't much good road to run on, so I was way too ambitious with my plan.  I ended up running loops over and over.  Smile

I am home now, though, and have planned a 22 miler in the morning.  Then 2 week taper for Boston.   Yay!!   Super excited to meet you all.    You've inspired me greatly!

evanflein

Ok, so after work I went to the new rec center I've joined and did 30 minutes on the elliptical (3.66 miles), and 25 minutes of weights (abs/chest/upper back). But I'm not giving back my butterfly hug!

Marathon Maniac #957

But I'm not giving back my butterfly hug!

Kimmie - any pictures!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."