Masters Running

Sunday August 13 (Read 27 times)

mrrun

Last early start as we're off to Blue Lagoon before flying home - it's been a great trip

fleet feet to Jay and all other racers and hope the Saturday racers did well!

((Mike, so sorry))

Erika - great run and good luck to DH driving.  after our Indiana trip, I have no interest i long drives.

Happy runs and walks - enjoy  your Sunday,

marj

Dave59

Starting to feel normal today after 4 weeks with the granddaughter and last week's driving marathon.  I went out for a mile this morning so I wouldn't have a 0 for the week.  Ended up with 1.3.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the good start, Marj. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Uh oh - Dave's feeling normal! 

Saturday’s workouts:
        Dave (ARC trainer work at the gym)
        RunnerKSA (14.1 too-humid miles)
        Holly (6.6 miles with 70-ish degrees and sun)
        Tomwhite (40-min PoolRun + 60-min x-bike)
        Rochrunner (5K race - 2nd AG)
        Mike (12 miles, too fast then struggling)
        Spacityrunner (2.5 sweaty sunset miles round the hood with a little wildlife)
        Evanflein (16.1 well-paced miles w/ minimal stop time/walk breaks)
        Tet (Sprint Tri with extra swim, bike and running distance)

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Stumpy!

I’m very sorry about your BIL’s passing, Mike, whether or not everyone knew it was coming.

Time for another oil change, Dave. Is it safe to say the eclipse is all-consuming there?

Weather, especially humid weather, sure does make a difference, RunnerKSA! Congrats on enduring.

You’re a cycling animal, Pfriese! Enjoy the car ride back.

I’m glad you were south of the snow, Evanflein. That’s a heck of a trip DH is on. How’d your truck pick-up run go?

Fatozzig, it sounds like you (or that horny little chirpy dude) really need that vacation. Hang in there…

Congrats on your AG hardware, Rochrunner, and 5 consecutive 5Ks no lower than 3rd. Other folks post their biking miles here, and you sure can too. Some people even post their walking miles, if you can imagine that...

Not a good time of the year to be crawling around an attic, Holly. And not good to have to go at it a second day.

Take care of that heel, Mike, so it doesn’t get any worse.

Good job of well-pacing your long run, Evanflein, and minimizing the stops and walk breaks.

Nice job, Tet, of adding in some extra adventures to your tri!

Well, I didn't go to my race this morning. I had a lousy night's sleep, and just didn't feel ready for that long drive and some serious racing. So it goes. So I went back to bed after feeding the cat and slept for an extra hour or so. I left for a workout at 5:45 as the overnight rain was clearing out and the sun was arriving for the day. It started out muggy, but gradually dried out as the sun rose. I went 10 (actually, 9.99 according to my Garmin, but we're friends, aren't we?) RW miles, and was completely spent by the time I got back home. Maybe that was from not eating before I left, and not having any water with me along the way.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sorry about your bad sleep and bagging the race, but you got some nice distance in.  I think hydration and nutrition are so important- and I fall short a lot.  I think part of why I struggled yesterday was because Friday night's dinner consisted of wine (a tad too much) with a friend, a Noosa yogurt and some crackers and cheese!  Not ideal pre-long run nutrition!

My daughter and my husband are driving back from Omaha today.  She had a big PR in the US national Olympic distance triathlon championships with a 2:53.  She's happy and it sounds like it was a well-organized event.  The tracker was great!  They found some good beer and food in Omaha (some of the beer is on the way home to Tennessee)!

3.1 miles for today.  That will be it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

I’m glad you were south of the snow, Evanflein. That’s a heck of a trip DH is on. How’d your truck pick-up run go?

Good job of well-pacing your long run, Evanflein, and minimizing the stops and walk breaks.

That's how the truck pick-up run went! It was great, and I think the only problem was, like RunnerKSA pointed out, hydration along the way. I was really feeling the need for a drink like Nuun or some such by 13 miles, and the last three were harder mostly because of that, I think.

Mike, sorry about your BIL. Always hard even if, like Jay said, everyone knew it was coming.

Tet! I missed that you got some extra mileage for your money. Good for you on finishing and being so dang happy about it! That's why we love running (and all that other stuff) so much.

^5 to your DD on her PR and satisfaction with her tri, KSA! You've got a couple of very athletic and talented kids!

DIL and I picked berries yesterday afternoon. Lots of looking around to find not so much. But at the end, we did find a pretty good patch and will try to get out there again this week sometime. For now, it's raining too much. I've got house stuff on the agenda today, and a run at some point. I only need 3 miles to hit 50 for the week, so that'll be the minimum.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay; hope you’re feeling better.

Mike—condolences on your BIL. Never easy.

Doug—I’m not doing any running so that’s no excuse not to post.

Tet—sounds like a great time!  Congrats.

Paul—awesome ride.  I hope you’ll post more details on how all this worked (where’d you sleep? Etc.) when you get back.

Erika—I love fresh-picked berries!  Enjoy.

A bit of an adventure ride today for TriBee and me, trying out an out-and-back route we haven’t done before near the Quantico Marine Corps base.  I was the navigator with a cue sheet that more or less worked.  (One wrong turn on the way back that added a couple of miles.) At 66-miles it was my longest ride yet. (I bet Paul does that before breakfast!)  Started out fine but it warmed up quite a bit ad I was riding on fumes the last few miles, coasting when I could! Apparently my impression that it was the bike that did all the work is not entirely accurate.  I’ll be crawling off for a nap later.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I slept in later than I should, given it was LR day, and though the temps were fairly nice (65-75 ish, with fairly low humidity) the clear sky and brilliant sun took a toll. I did manage to get the miles in, but there were a lot of walk breaks in the last couple of miles.

18 miles total.

I am listening to an audio book by Sandra Brown (Mean Streak) in which the protagonist is a pediatrician/marathon runner.  Interesting to read about arguments with a non-runner husband who dislikes her training plans, "unhealthy obsession" with running, and resents being dragged to her races where he "spends hours fighting jostling crowds" only to see the last 10 seconds of her race as she crosses the finish line.  None of us here have ever experienced this, right? 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Howdie folks, sorry I have been away for a while. Computer problems at home leaves me without a way post much on RA because we all know that posting from a cell phone is a drag.

This was a big celebration weekend in Omak, the World Famous Omak Race and Native American Suicide race took place all week long. Today was the western parade. A lot of fun seeing the western tradition showcased.

Ohhh, and we woke up to a blue sky after two weeks of smoky, gray sky. Yesterday,  I did run for 3:20 minutes up in the mountain pass where the air is much cleaner. Today the Easy Pacer and I ran 5 miles together.

Now off to gather wild huckleberries.

{{{{{twocat}}}}}

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

So sorry about your BIL, Mike.

Nice to see you back, Mariposai!

Ran four "recovery" miles this morning, mainly because I got there at 8AM to just walk with some friends only to find out that they were going out at 9AM. So by the time I ran out and back on an easy 4 I was able to meet up and do another couple miles walking.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Nice Doug, I would normally be late to something like that.

Good for you on getting the 18 in, Holly, walk breaks and all. And while they can be a bad habit, I'd rather have the walk breaks than the full out stops (other than for traffic, of course). But sometimes it just seems unavoidable. So much of it is a mind game though.

Yay for clear air, Mariposai! Hope it lasts. I know when we're in a smoky summer, the wind shifts sometimes only give temporary relief. Winds go this way, then that and bring it back. Hope you get some longer lasting breaks.

6.7 miles at a pace that might almost be in my "easy" range, but was anything but. That trip back up the hill felt very hard, but got it done, with walk breaks and a couple of stops. Just couldn't help it. Then picked some carrots in the garden. I'd thinned them earlier and it seemed like enough, but nope they're getting crowded again so I'm pulling every other one sort of thing.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters!

Mike, I'll add my condolences about your BIL.   It's never easy even if expected.

I met a friend for a long run on the Colorado Trail today.  It's a section of trail I've never done before, and it's so fun to explore new trails! Strangely, my Garmin read  17.4 miles at the end, and her phone app read 19.6.  My Garmin usually reads a bit less than my running partners, but not ever quite so much!  I'm calling it 19.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 6.2 miles. today, after church.

We took a granddaughter out for her birthday.  She turned 16 on Friday, took and passed her driver's test...she's pretty excited.   She's a great kid.

Hey!  Cross country starts tomorrow!  AND one of my granddaughters (the one I call Wiener) signed up at the last minute!  She ran a total of 1 mile over the summer.  I don't care--it will be so fun to have her on the team...even though I know she's only doing it to get in shape for basketball.

Okay--gotta go,  The alarm goes off at 4:00 am...a couple hours after Jay's had his post run breakfast.  See ya!