Masters Running

9/30/18 (Read 41 times)

TammyinGP

We tend to emotionally react to a lot of things that cross our paths and I think it's important to learn how to respond rather than react. Reactionary moves tend to escalate situations, whereas a responsive action tends to have some forethought with the circumstance you are encountering and how best to deal with the situation w/o escalation. I think this is a good lesson for Holly's DD. 

15 miles in the mountains today. it was a nice run with two trail pals (one is running Moab 240 in 10 days). It was a fairly easy trail, mostly level or at most a 1% grade change throughout the entire route. I am pleased with my pacing on it. Mile 2 was a 13:05, but all other miles were mostly low 12's with 5 miles being in the 11's (4 of those were my last 4 miles too so I was able to pick up the pace).  I'm running a 25K next weekend, so feeling more confident going into that.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Tammy

Joe618

spectacular pic, Tammy...wow...drink that in.    Just beautiful.

Mike, if you are looking for a truly unusual and memorable Nebraska marathon, may I suggest the Sandhills Marathon??   I'm a native of Nebraska, had targeted this race for several years but the calendar didn't work but it did last June.   Here's my blog report on the race.   Takes some doing, it's so remote, but it's in my top 3 of any of my 83 marathons.

Spent much of the afternoon glued to the TV watching the Cubs battle to win the NL Central...alas, even though they won, we get bonus game 163 tomorrow at noon.   DS#1 is staying up late to try to get a ticket.

A very pleasant 5 miles in the sunshine this afternoon before the game started.   Lovin' the fall weather.

Oh yes, the week starts tomorrow...oy....

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Mike E

MM #5615

Well, Joe—to be honest—Sandhills is on my list for next June.  But, when I started looking into other marathons because of the possibility of not being able to do Maryland in March, I found another one in Nebraska that looked good—7 Lakes, or something—but, now, after reading your blog—how could I even think of running any other marathon in Nebraska?

coastwalker I am losing mariposai tomorrow  How about shipping some of the lobsters to my house. I am still in the cooking DL and can use some saving.

Holly S. the lesson somebody should teach is to the the school authorities. Where the heck where they during the several days the kid was blocking the line? They are the supposed adults and authorities, how are they AWOL here and somehow blameless?

Alas, I have to say farewell to mariposai after today. Very sad to see her go. Yesterday  she was kind enough to make a chocolate raspberry cake for a celebration in my late mother's honor. Chocolate and raspberries were two of her favorite vitals. The celebration was a dinner after the opening of an exhibit of her papers from her time in the team in Nuremberg that prosecuted Alfred Krupp after WWII. The exhibit was very nicely done.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

4 mile walk with life accomplice. OMG I got her off the treadmill and into the real world!

If anyone needs to take a few seconds off there marathon time, the Biz Johnson is next weekend. In Susanville CA. I think it drops 2500'. However, it starts at over 6000' elevation, so the downhill might not compensate for your sea-level lungs. I was going to do the 50k there, but the girl's birthday is next weekend and she wants me to go along to the Escape Room event she has planned (probably as a lifeline/cheat). Race plans cancelled.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying