Masters Running

Wed Aug 6th Possible / Hopefully Ribs Is Out Day (Read 479 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Same here. Every time in the spring I have great plans to work on my core to be ready for two piece bathing suit in the summer...but it never happens...maybe I need a stronger incentive than that. Shy
    Us guys are willing to help out....pictures please Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Dave59

Then, like this morning, I get done with a run and think, "Cripes! My back hurts!" Well, duh!
      Bingo! That was me this morning, which triggered my earlier post.

evanflein

Timbo... Roll eyes Dave, I feel the same way. I used to be so good at doing the weights, and then this summer, well, I just don't. Picked up the 20# dumbbells the other night and did some curls... (DS1 had them out), and managed a set of 10, said "that's enuf" and put them away. Geez.... what a wienie. Oh well. I promise I'll get started again. Soon. Was thinking after the HM this weekend. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Enke, nice TNT! I like it when there's someone next to me doing about my pace. But then I like to start bumping it up a bit... heheh, sometimes just to see if they'll match. It's one thing about running on the TM at the gym that's better than at home. Just me and my reflection in the window at home. Holly, you're more disciplined than I. I look forward to rest days or off days cuz I get to my glass of wine sooner! You can have the ice cream... gives me a bellyache. We're going to go see the band War at the fair tonight. I'm sure most folks here remember them... probably from high school (or junior high...). Apparently there's still one original member in the band. Should be fun, but another night of fair food most likely. I'll be glad when it's over... the fair that is. Always tempting to go eat dinner there... Dead Looks like the rain is letting up for mid day... an hour till lunchtime, hope it holds off! Would like to get 6 miles in at lunch so I don't have to worry about it later on.
          6 miles in sunny 82 degrees for me at lunch in 47:26. (8:19/7:41/7:37/7:42/8:05/8:00) Nellie is adorable, Mary! The way I keep regular about doing the Core work is not anything I'd recommend. I tore up my groin in 03, sounds similar to what Holly's going through. Went to docs, massage, etc., but the PTs got me going. I have a loose SI joint in my hip, which led to the problem. They explained that I had poor muscle tone in my abdomen and that I needed to develop stronger muscles to compensate for the loose joint. I had to wear a velcro-belt while I built up muscles there, doing wild and crazy things on a balance ball, as directed by the PTs. I still do them, as I was very crabby and unfun when I couldn't run. Fingers crossed for Ribs. grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles
            Enke, nice TNT! I like it when there's someone next to me doing about my pace. But then I like to start bumping it up a bit... heheh, sometimes just to see if they'll match. It's one thing about running on the TM at the gym that's better than at home. Just me and my reflection in the window at home
            Usually I would bump it up a bit, but I was maxed out already! He was a skinny Chinese fellow, doing 7.5mph, but we were almost dead on with cadence. Then he said "That was great, I always try to make it to 3 miles", at which point I tried to impress him by saying "I going to do this again 2 more times, after I cool off a bit". Well I guess I can't impress anyone with my 10 pound bicep curls, so I take what I can get. My extra pounds are wine and ice cream pounds. I only need to cut out those two things and I will be a couple pounds lighter in two weeks (but probably harder to live with).

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I may have missed it - has there been any update on Ribs?

Head Procrastinator

I may have missed it - has there been any update on Ribs?
                Ribs was home around 12:50 my time. He was catching up on some emails, was going to eat and nap. I know he will be around as soon as he is up to it and appreciates everyone asking after him.
                ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                evanflein

My extra pounds are wine and ice cream pounds. I only need to cut out those two things and I will be a couple pounds lighter in two weeks (but probably harder to live with).
                  I hear ya. Wine, popcorn and bread with olive oil and cheese... oy. I make batches of popcorn in a microwave popper contraption... I can go through two batches after work without thinking about it. When I cut back on those things, I lost pounds pretty quickly... but I was not a happy camper. I'm starting to get comfortable in my own skin with these extra pounds. DH likes them and it's such a pain in the butt to try to lose them..... Dashed out for a run at lunchtime, got back just as the wind was really picking up so I'm sure a shower is rolling through. My office window gives a full southern view of the valley all the way to the Alaska Range. It's pretty cool to watch the showers roll through the valley... especially when I'm done and back inside! 6.2 miles with hilly bits, 8:12 avg pace. That's probably it for any sort of "quality" run till Saturday's race.
                    8 mile MP run for me tonight. total 1:07:00 for a 8:23 overall pace. mile1- 9:25 warm up then 8:25, 8:06, 8:03, 8:04, 8:01, 8:04 and 9:00 for a cool down Pretty good effort for me. I kept a pretty even pace once I got moving. Not sure I can do that 26 times but I have til October to try. Tim, What a nice guy, and I am glad you included the rest of us guys. Smile Did you get your new shoes yet? I have run in the GTS since they first came out. I always liked them but they tend to wear out pretty fast I think. Right around 300 to 350 miles I can tell they are done. I have been thinking of trying a different shoe but am a little afraid to. I have been having some heal issues the last month or so and thought maybe a change is in order. Good luck with yours they are a great stability shoe in MHO. I am a popcorn junkie myself Blush I eat a huge bowl at least twice a week. The wine I have not been into lately. It has been making me sleepy and that makes me either a cheap date or a boring one depending on your expectations. Wink Hopeful, Glad to see you putting some miles in. You have a little thing coming up in Detroit in a couple of months ya know. Besides you gave back your lead to me in the Bunnie race. Big grin Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

It rained pretty hard most of the day and on the way home started to let up...we were lucky, Joel and I got most of our workout in without getting too wet...a little but not too bad. Smile Warm up - 1.31 Miles - 12:11 (9:19) 5 x 1000 Meter w/90 second recovery: 1 - 4:15 (6:51) - up hill 2 - 3:55 (6:19) - this was right where I wanted to be on these today 3 - 3:54 (6:17) - ok not bad still right there 4 - 3:51 (6:12) - a little faster but didn't push too hard 5 - 3:44 (6:01) - OK I pushed this one a little more but still not too hard - my legs were tired after this one! 3.1 miles - 19:39 (6:20) Cool down – 2.03 Very Easy Miles – 19:02 – (9:23) Glad to hear Ribs is home!
                      dg.

thanks Hally Barb!! yay Ribs!

Marathon Maniac #3309

8 mile MP run for me tonight. total 1:07:00 for a 8:23 overall pace. mile1- 9:25 warm up then 8:25, 8:06, 8:03, 8:04, 8:01, 8:04 and 9:00 for a cool down Pretty good effort for me. I kept a pretty even pace once I got moving. Not sure I can do that 26 times but I have til October to try. Tim, What a nice guy, and I am glad you included the rest of us guys. Smile Did you get your new shoes yet? I have run in the GTS since they first came out. I always liked them but they tend to wear out pretty fast I think. Right around 300 to 350 miles I can tell they are done. I have been thinking of trying a different shoe but am a little afraid to. I have been having some heal issues the last month or so and thought maybe a change is in order. Good luck with yours they are a great stability shoe in MHO. I am a popcorn junkie myself Blush I eat a huge bowl at least twice a week. The wine I have not been into lately. It has been making me sleepy and that makes me either a cheap date or a boring one depending on your expectations. Wink Hopeful, Glad to see you putting some miles in. You have a little thing coming up in Detroit in a couple of months ya know. Besides you gave back your lead to me in the Bunnie race. Big grin Good runs everyone Larry
                          Thanks for asking Larry...UPS just delivered my new shoes (after my run tonight) They feel very good walking around in my apt, but running is a different thing. Only about 350 miles...I am used to around 500, but hey, if they are the right shoe than that's ok.They are Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8's....what ever that means. The running shoe store I was originally fitted at looked at my old pictures on their treadmill and decided this would be a good shoe for me....we shall see. No pictures yet...sigh, lol. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey all, We're back from vacation a couple of days early. Had a great time backpacking in Wyoming for 10 days. We were planning two 6-day trips with a short break in between to re-stock our food and fuel. The first 6 days were great, and we were 4 days into our second trip when Tazzie met a porcupine. Surprised She didn't get hit real bad, but she wouldn't tolerate us pulling all the quills, so we had to hike out and find a vet. Not quite what we had in mind for a fun time on vacation, but it was probably more fun for us than for Taz! Anyway, we drove home early, but since we're still sort of on vacation, we went for a day hike today to Diamond Lake in the Indian Peaks wilderness area, near home. Tomorrow we're going for another day hike in Golden Gate Canyon State Park. Then we're going to my cousin's wedding on Friday, which was going to break up our vacation anyway, and then go to the Holy Cross Wilderness area near Vail for another 5 days to finish off our official vacation time. I haven't had time to catch up on the news around here, except it's good to hear Ribs is home and doing well. I got out for a 4.2 mile run this afternoon after our hike. First run for me since we left on vacation. I guess I'm just a wuss, but all that backpacking has been plenty of exercise for me and I haven't felt the need to run too. I'll try to post some vacation pictures tomorrow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Thank you. All is well, and yes I am home. Body tired, mind racing and eager to start my rehab activities tomorrow. I will torture you with one long post about the entire 6 days, first a choronology of events I found interesting and then some general observations that have relevance to all of us at any age, regarding CAD and general health approaches. I can't begin to thank you all for your care and thoughtfulness during this time; more on that subject tomorrow and what it meant. Tramps has no idea how close he came to reality with his funny thread. You ought to see my Frankenstein-like stitches! As to today's daily: Roy, you're in trouble if Mrs. Roy logs on. Dicky, I can't throw a 50 yard spiral either, and certainly not today! Roch, nor can I get on a roller coaster right now, something about a sternum Maine, you are prohibited from posting oneK workouts at those speeds until '09. Another good deed done by all of you today, with me as the beneficiary. May you all sleep well and thank you. Spareribs
                                YAY! Ribs is home!!!! YAY!!!!
                                Masters 2000 miles