Masters Running

Thursday, 9.29.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Congrats, RCG, on your suspected-Lyme issues calming down, your return to running, and on Ralph's 49th state.

Lori, mojos come and go. Good move to keep moving, but to ease off the mileage a bit, and to incorporate some cross-training.

Great poolwork, Holly.

I hope you have fun up in the Alpines today, Tet.

I'm so sorry about DD's broken leg, TW. Keep those lines coming, straight or not. Isn't there another Southern Comfort Food??

Jlynne, you got ALL your hair cut off yesterday? Well, that'll make you faster... Nice 5er in the cool darkness.

Nice finish to your mid-week 5er, Haller.

I'm glad you're happier with your adjusted annual goal, Evanflein. Nobody said goals can't be flexible.

Nice 2.5er with the XC team, Tammy. Good luck at the meet today.

Only a 2-hr. meeting last night, helping local residents understand flood plain maps and zones, insurance impacts, and mitigation options. I still got to bed on time, and had my best night's sleep in about 2-3 months. I woke up about 40 minutes late this morning, but still decided to hurry out for a quick workout. So 3.5 RW miles in 54F temps with 20 mph gusting winds from the NE. Nice.

For those who are curious, this morning's high bid for our 1st half marathon entry to be auctioned, with 4 days to go, is at $167.50.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning, Jay, and all to follow.

Jlynne - I am thinking of getting a haircut, too, but I was thinking of taking the length down to maybe 16" from the 19-20" it is now.....

{{{TW's DD}}}

Erika - I can't bear to even look at my mileage this year.....all goals completely out the window.

4.3 miles on the TM today watching Red 2.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Well i wanted to run outside today but the rain is coming down in sheets with thunder for sound effects so I took it to the tm. 5 miles. Yay.

Going to try for some more push ups tomorrow. I stink at them. But I'm determined.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

..mornin' guys//...............dd2 got thru her 8-hour shift last night (hospital pharmacist) was cramping in the leg, but slept well last nite even tho her damn cat escaped (or I didn't lock the cat door correctly) and sat on her all nite

==============

...20-min HH at McFee Park

am now fixing her lunch (baloney)

and driving her to and from the hospital shifts

they work  some weird hours

..............hey, I quit typing in straight lines............life is good

good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

good afternoon,

well, I survived the meeting.  I would prolly be fired if not for my magnificent boss.  Working in a bureaucracy is not always easy.

Image result for bureaucracy

Gee whiz, tw, sorry about DD!

Keep us posted, Jay--4 days to go, should get up over $200 at least.

Well, DH made catfish Tuesday night and I was going to make polenta (cheesy) but there was a stray sweet potato that needed to be used.  So last night I made one of those egg-cheese bake things (we used to call them quiche back in the day, but I didn't use a crust, just a layer of rice in the bottom of the pan.)

{{cheese enchiladas!}}

Yesterday was a tad shy of 6 miles (or a tad over 5.5) and today was 7.  There's a breast cancer 5K Saturday so it looks like the long run will be Sunday.  Lots of folks in Speedsters are running Chicago, so I may not have much company Sunday for the last miles.  Since we start at 6, though, I'll have Weekend Edition.  And that's fine with me.

Must dash too--grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Thanks for the recap, Jay, you are so appreciated!

Holly & Erika, I don't really make goals for the year like you guys do, but good idea just to scale it back Erika. I think I set mine for 1000 miles every year and have never made it yet. Maybe next year. Oh, Holly - you are doing awesome with the lap swimming!

Rosie, I am so happy for you on the run and recovery from surgery and illness!  Hawaii, wow, sounds like fun to me. How long were you there? You'll love Alaska. I know a lot of people who thoroughly enjoyed the cruise out of Vancouver to Sitka/Juneau. John Hall land/sea cruise. http://www.kissalaska.com/  We just toured via motorhome starting in Anchorage, 2100 miles in 2 weeks!  We did see some amazing things though, glacier calving, bore tide surfing, Erika's house.

Tammy, hope you have good weather for the XC meet.  I still can't believe how hot it gets in OR. What will Portland be like in a week? Wish you could join us.....

TW, bologna sounds awful, yuck! Take good care of her. Why does she have to work so soon after breaking a leg and having surgery?

Jlynne, I got a haircut 3 weeks ago and I finally like it now. Way too short for me. Pretty soon you'll need a hat on those morning runs.

Berthaslayer, I've been wondering how your blistered feet have healed up.  I do recommend Wright double-layer running socks.  They come in all sorts of weights, even winter ones.  Mojo will return soon, I hope.

Thanks for your kind words about MrStarr. He went to the therapist yesterday and said it was uncomfortable (this is the first time he went by himself). Last night we went to Celebrate Recovery but he doesn't want to stay very long to socialize afterward. Today he is busy making stuff for the freezer today; taco meat, BBQ (sloppy joes to some people), tator tot hotdish.

Speaking of needing a hat on those morning runs, today was 40° so hat/gloves/vest/capris was enough to feel just right. I only went out for 3 miles but it felt pretty good. Once home I reset my Garmin to not display the HR and figured out why the light didn't work.  I see my podiatrist this afternoon. That darn foot still doesn't feel right nearly two years after surgery. I may get another injection in it to see if that helps. We'll see what he says.  I am trying to get two quilts finished before we leave for the Cities on Saturday morning. That could be tricky with orchestra tonight and a long run tomorrow night.  I have been know to stay up till all hours working in my sewing room though.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Berthaslayer, I've been wondering how your blistered feet have healed up.  I do recommend Wright double-layer running socks.  They come in all sorts of weights, even winter ones.  Mojo will return soon, I hope.

It's safe to say that I will lose every nail. I am trying to keep them on long enough for my brother's wedding next weekend. Because I  want to dance. But they no longer hurt and I've been able to get some running in. I will definitely be looking into different kinds of socks. Toe socks perhaps? A different style shoe for the walking portion of the race?

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Bertha, ouch!  Toenails are overrated though.

Rosie, what great news on the health front!

Yesterday I went out a bit late to do a long run.  When I got to the trails, I was just so - TMI alert - cramped up (gas) from something - I think oats are the problem, in the granola I ate for breakfast, combined with stress affecting my gut from a phone screen I did in the morning.  Anyway, that combined with wearing an old pair of shorts with the elastic shot on them - they were sliding down, I just packed it in after a tenth of a mile and came home.

Today, none of those problems were present so I did a lovely 5 miles in 59 F and sunshine.  Tomorrow I will do 7 to hit 100 for the month.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

portland is way different than southern oregon though. it's like 2 different climates actually. we are cooling off significantly this weekend though with highs in low 60's and possibly rain.

Tammy, hope you have good weather for the XC meet.  I still can't believe how hot it gets in OR. What will Portland be like in a week? Wish you could join us.....

Tammy

coastwalker I have a new business! Instead of holding 5k, 10k and HM races where you just pay a fee and get a bib, auction them off instead! At $150+ a bib it will make millions!

Holly S. TM, shudder! 

BerthaSlayer on a rain day, as horrible as it is, a TM is better. Running rule book rule #1, "No running in the rain!"©

tomwhite cats are actually magical. Having one sleeping on you keeps you asleep. No really. Try it. Works until dawn or so when the cat decides it is time to eat and "accidentally" stabs your toes while playing.

AamosY my view of bureaucracy exactly!  You can add meetings to that sign as well.

StarrRuns my sympathies for all you are going through with your DH. I hope he snaps out of it soon.

enkephalin next year keep in mind they sell shorts at the Reach the Beach expo. Just sayin' ya' know.

buehrle I hope you are on the fast end of the post Lyme disease healing process. It is one vicious bug. My SIL got it. She was lucky in that they caught it early, despite an initial false negative test.

tetsujin209 going up to the snow? A bit early to ski. To run? There is rule # something, I need to look it up, about running in snow when you can run on perfectly fine dry pavement somewhere warmer.

Jlynne add a beard for a really impressive bit of misdirection. 

hallar that is one speedy midweek run!

evanflein good choice on the log book.

TammyinGP good luck to your team.

I ran 8 yesterday. Today I had an evening workshop in Manhattan so figured I would work from home today. With that in mind I went off to run my long run for the week and did 20. I got back. Cleaned up. Worked a bit. Got dressed in my monkey suit and started walking to the train station. About a quarter of the way there I get an email, the workshop is cancelled. I suspect the Hoboken train crash prevented the speaker from getting into New York. I turned around and walked back home. Got out of my monkey suit and here I am!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Just 3.4 at an easy pace today. It's been cool and rainy the last few days and I am not a happy camper. I sure enjoyed our hot summer and am not looking forward to what comes next. i used to love fall but not so much anymore. I need to move south I think in a couple years.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Mr. Starr}}}

BerthaSlayer - for races and runs longer than 18-19 miles, I use Injinji toe socks, which I find help a lot with toenails/toenail blisters.  They feel a little weird at first, but quickly become okay.

Twocat - I bet you look quite svelte in your monkey suit!

Took DD shopping to get shoes for her Homecoming Dance dress (at least these will be something she can keep and wear again, since I don't think her feet are still growing).  Fortunately, we found a pair at 40% off - not too terrible, and got matching necklace/earrings on clearance at costume jewelry shop for $10.  Since I still refuse to pay for a professional hair job before the dance, she insists that I must help her with her hair.  Yikes!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, tell DH he's got a beauty shop bill. Goes with the dress.

5.7 miles today, went a different way to try something out of the ordinary (headed East). Well, that was a mistake. Ended up waiting way too long at stoplights waiting for the crossing signal. Bleh. Nice day though, and the next few days should be more of the same with highs in the upper 50's this weekend.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

after last week's discouraging seven hour epic ascent along the trim line, over massive boulders on nearly perpendicular slopes and getting lost, I started this the same this morning at sunrise (7:am) but, though I made well above timberline (~2,800- 3,000'), the 4,200' summit remained aloof as I had to turn around at the last ridge to get back by sunset (6pm). See you next time new snow, I guess.   Twenty-five and thirty years ago, it was morning or afternoon five hour round trip. So much for the benefits of the aging process. Maybe I take too many pictures along the way now (128).

Huh? I agree with twocat?

'cause, after all, snow is for skiing, not running.

Jlynne - I am thinking of getting a haircut, too, but I was thinking of taking the length down to maybe 16" from the 19-20" it is now.....

Holly - I don't know what jay would say but I don't think regular walker have to get their hair cut.  However, you seem to be getting back to running form so, go ahead, you'll be too fast for me to see you long or short. So much for the benefits of the aging process.

ps - with today's trail too precarious for thongs,

I wore split-toe tabl socks with Marathon Monk split-toe running shoes.

However, the climb was so intense it wore holes in the big toe of each sock

and wore down the sole under the toe. .

Mendenhall Glacier From Mt. McGinnis

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)