Masters Running

Saturday, October 5, Autumn Runs (Read 46 times)

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Mariposai.  You continue to improve.

I sure learned a lot about trail racing in my 20K today.  I have nothing to compare this course to, but those who run trails tell me it is very difficult as it has many steep hills where it is all rocks. And the downhill sections are certainly no easier. At my age it's hard to skip along from step to step like the younger runners do, so I walked up and down many of the hills.  Took forever, but it wasn't the physical beating I would expect to get from racing a 20k, as I did two weeks ago on the roads.

Still, I learned a lot and had fun.  Picked up Liz and her friend this morning and took them back to hotel. We'll have dinner tonight too.  Liz thought the course was pretty tough.  All in all a good day.  Spareribs

Got myself a huge PR this morning!  I ran 4:00:05 (which raises the question, would someone sell their soul for 6 seconds?).

Spareribs, you are a good host and glad you got to run on trails and with Liz at that.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

OPIE!!!! That is awesome!  And yes, sell yourself for the next one.

SRibs - turning into a trail runner, can't be possible, can it??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

What a great story, Mike.  I bet you’d be an excellent coach.

I totally agree!

Ribs - It is not unusual to have to walk up and down the steepest part of trail runs (around here the metroparks seem to be where the rivers cut deepest into the countryside, so very steep up and downs are the norm).  However, even those trail runs (like last week), that leave me so muscle-sore, yet strangely my joints are fine, and recovery is fairly fast, compared to hard-run road races.

Deez - wonderful to have them all home at once!

Mariposai - well done!

Opie - Excellent!

I had to work today, manning (or wo-manning) a booth for our firm at a senior health fair from 8 until noon.  DH hates this, since I am salary now, he says, "you're working for free!"  DH also worked today, but he made time-and-a-half to do it.  Still, it was fairly enjoyable, and I picked up lots of cool gadgets from other venders...Roll eyes

I went straight to DD's soccer game after work, just in time to see her make a fairly spectacular goal, and the team won again.  Have  I mentioned how much I love to watch that girl play?

84 degrees today, which seems strange for October, but I am not complaining...

4.6 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, Opie!  Congratulations!

I spent the day just hanging out with Ryan.  We went to the expo.  I remember the first time I went to the expo,  I didn't want to leave.  I just wanted to be a part of all of it.  I got over expos real quick.  Now, I get my packet...maybe take a quick lap around the stuff, and get the heck out of there.  But, this being Ryan's first, I didn't want to rush him so I asked him if wanted to look around.  He said, "Naw, it's just like a big running store...let's go."  So, we left and drove the course.  That was really fun...we had a great time.

Okay--DW wants me to hang out with her, now...see ya.

Opie congratulations! Also, we'll maybe! Wink

tetsujin209 that special line is very special!

No running for me today.  Just went to a dog trial to watch my SIL and her championship dogs.  Alas, while my DW and I were there the dogs did not do well.  Of course, after we left Baxter then won his event.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

I have learned (and others too - new folks here that try) That this is a small group and want to keep it that way. Like 4, and no more. I have conversations with new members here that say.......we don't feel welcome here. I defended RA, till now.

I talk about some painful things (everyone does here) but I mention my good running, and my job going good (excelling actually) and nothing - absolutley nothing.

This is a snobby group I hate to admit........you don't want new people, or past members. But want to keep it the same............same people same posts. You comment on the regulars everyday, but heaven to bid someone new comes here, or someone comes back (how dare you interupt our clan)

I'm so dissapointed.........oh oh, many others too (we talk)

I thought this place was different........open to new members - not ! Why do people say this forum has slowed WAY down.....now you know.

It's ok........just don't complain..........you made it this way. I know.....and I have contact with new people who truely try. To no avail............

I love you all........but quit with the snobby attitudes (yes, it's that way)

Oh........it's not just me (not hardly)

Thanks Jay........you care I know....

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So sorry you feel that way timbo.

I think the welcome back for you was universal as you have been missed.

However, I have been around snobs all my life, or as my grandfather called them, "crumbs from the upper crust," and if anyone around here should be snubbed for not being up to par, it would be the slowest of us <<<(that would be me - with a one hour 5K, 2.5 hour 10K, 9:15 marathon. 12:00:59 50K, 15:15 50m / 3-day 100 mile, etc.)>>> or someone who eschews the most basic running tenet of all, namely, to train comensurate to the target race. <<<(me again)>>>.

Nevertheless, I feel as welcome here as if I was fast and trained everyday.  You should too.  You have a unique life, as, in one-way-or-the other we all do.  Yet when we are out running, or in here talking about running and whatever it is that's on our minds, we are all the same, even you and me.  If there are snobs here that I just don't notice, don't worry, they'll get over it. In the meantime, I'm still hoping to do a barefoot run with you sometime.  I'd really like to see you do an IM sometime too.  Will you back permit it?

==============================================================

October continues its reputation as PR month extraordinaire, already celebrating mari's 50th birthday year with a PR and Opie too. Congratulations.

Enke- thanks for the ride offer. I'd love to see your racy red racer but the 9:00 start is ample time for a ride this time.  However, hope you can park close enough for photo opl

incidentally tim, did you see leslie's gimmic,.., I mean story on using a dog's plight to meet some nice new neighbors?  Nothing snobby about that.  To the contrary, it's called = angel and it's not half, if that, of her story,  Or mike's volunteer coaching\, or rib's pathe,. . I mean bravely taking on a 20K trail race after 40 years on the pavement.  No one of anybody you've run with from in here is one either, are they? Either way, it doesn't matter as we're all the same when we're running and when we come back here to post about running and other parts of our lives too.  Glad you feel good enough about us to let off some steam but please stick around.  You're my friend and we'll still go running barefoot together sometime. I hope you'll get to do an IM sometime too.  Will your back permit it?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I got over expos real quick.  Now, I get my packet...maybe take a quick lap around the stuff, and get the heck out of there.  

I can vouch for that!  You were in and out of the giant KY Derby Marathon expo in record time!  Meanwhile my friends Tara and Renee spent hours in there shopping.  I finally gave up and went to sit outside to rest my legs....

Tim - I have no idea what you are talking about.  This is a very friendly and welcoming forum.  Most of us do not have time to shout out to each and every poster every day, so we pick out a couple to respond to.  Life is busy and I don't have time to write a novel with every post.  That doesn't mean that I don't read and enjoy almost everything posted here.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Tim - I have no idea what you are talking about.  This is a very friendly and welcoming forum.  Most of us do not have time to shout out to each and every poster every day, so we pick out a couple to respond to.  Life is busy and I don't have time to write a novel with every post.  That doesn't mean that I don't read and enjoy almost everything posted here.

+1

I stumbled into this group in a drunken stupor and they accepted me just fine.

+1

...yes,

but we were often in a drunken stupor bacl them

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

That's only because you brought beer.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Big grin

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Jeez.  All they did when I turned up was slap me with a trout.

Tramps

Jeez.  All they did when I turned up was slap me with a trout.

That's because you didn't bring beer.

(Good to see you.)

Be safe. Be kind.