Masters Running

Sat 1/31 Runs - And Where Good Friends Meet (Read 465 times)

TammyinGP

Timbo - hear about what? I must have missed something . . . nothing new for me though. Holly - glad you enjoy that cake. I'm not a huge cake fan, but that one is so scrumptious - so much more than 'just a cake'. went out for a garmin run today. first one. I had planned on doing my long run today, but timing just didn't work out. I offered to clean MIL's apartment, so DS and I did that this a.m., then baseball signups, then off to Blockbuster so he could rent something as a reward for helping out grandma by doing his part to clean. Then by the time I got home, DH had to run some errands, so I wasn't able to do a long run. Didn't want to leave DS home for too long. so I just took our dogs and did the usual route I do at home, which is partly on BLM trails. So, I was interested in not only seeing if the Garmin would hold a satellite in areas that are very tree covered, but also interested to know exactly the distance on this route, since I've never been able to accurately measure it and also see elevation profiles, since the area I'm in is somewhat hilly. It was nice to get all that data. I ran 3.5 miles in 35:12 and burned a whopping 429 cals. I wonder if that even covers the scrambled egg/cheese burrito I made myself this a.m.? Oh, and I love the pretty graphs too - up and down, up and down. Big grin

Tammy

George - Kvetch all you want. I feel like all I've done the past 5 weeks is complain about how crappy I feel, but everyone's been very supportive. One more week, and hopefully the crap is gone - for good. Re the shins - yep, you're gonna have to go to low impact for awhile, keep up the heat/cold (switching back and forth helps to get the blood flowing), and you'll be back in the swing of things soon. Tim - It sounds like things are coming along real well for you. Good! Holly - I'd like to put my name up to buy your cookbook when it's published. Seriously - you make some amazing-sounding meals. Tselbs - I use Immodium anytime I plan to run more than 2 hours. I usually take one the night before, and depending on the length of the upcoming run, take one or two the next morning, at least an hour before I run. Sometimes it takes a day for me to get back into the swing of things, but rarely more than 24 hours. Otherwise, if I don't take it, sometimes I don't necessarily have problems during (again, depending on the length of the run), but can have real trouble afterward. Things were so bad for me during and after my first 50k, as well as the resulting, well, to be honest, like diaper rash issues, I NEVER go for a long run without taking my Immodium. Ribs - Congratulations on the 6-month anniversary. And thanks for always being so generous in sharing your knowledge with us. Fussy - Congrats on the 100 miles!!! Embrace your upcoming "New Decade of Life." Tammy - You're gonna love that Garmin. Since eating has been an issue for the last 5+ weeks, it's been hard for me to fuel myself for my runs. My trail buddy, Karen, was sick, so I decided to do a road run instead of trail run today. I want to participate in the 8 3/4-mile Trinidad to Clam Beach Run next weekend, and it's all pavement, except for about 2 miles, which is on the beach and through a "creek" (which some years has been closer to a raging river). It was a tuff, tuff eight miles, and the last mile was just awful. It truly feels like I've taken a few steps backward in my conditioning. However, I didn't the painful burning and nausea that I've been feeling on most of my runs. Ended with the following, which is actually better than I thought I was doing: Av/Best/HR 1. 9:52/8:50/134 2. 9:52/8:18/159 3. 9:35/7:59/157 4. 9:48/8:09/160 5. 10:34/8:47/158 (steep hill) 6. 11:09/8:24/156 (steep hill) 7. 9:42/8:02/161 8. 10:49/8:51/163 Passed a guy on my way out who was doing some major landscaping. When I came back through about 20 min later, he was standing across the street looking at his work. He saw me coming, gave me the thumbs up, and said, "Good for you!" Likewise, I said, "You did a really nice job." His comment really helped as I felt like I was struggling. Tomorrow's a rest day, and oh yeah, we'll be watchin' the Big Game. Go Arizona!!!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I've been taking Hydrochlorothiazide for a few years now. The major effect is to drink a large amount of water every day. Don't know if it makes you pee so you're thirsty or it makes you thirsty so you drink and therefore pee, but I think I have very strong kidneys by this point Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Of course this wouldn't apply if maine was the one doing the chasing. Wink
          Just got back from dinner and a movie with DW - we went to see Paul Blart - Mall Cop ... pretty funny. Big grin One thing I always say is that if someone runs from me they had better not only be fast, but they better be able to run very far as well! And to be honest, most bad guys aren't in the best of shape...I know, I know alot of cops aren't either. Wink
          wildchild

Carolyn

George, if we didn’t whine about stuff (weather, injuries, etc) we wouldn’t have much to say.Wink
            So it's OK to whine? OK: I HATE THE WIND! I ran 10.1 miles today, and it would have been very pleasant except for the @#$%& wind! It's in the low 30's and sunny, but with 25 mph wind, gusting to 40. I ran in yaks, and the footing was mostly pretty good - what the ski resorts would call packed powder. I stopped at home after mile 9 and grabbed a quick bite to eat (2 poptarts - yum!) then took the dogs out for a final mile. Tramps, I love your poster! But my tempo runs are so slow I couldn't outrun very many cops. Good thing I'm such a model citizen! Cool

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

SR... that would be great. thank you. Congratulations on your 6 month anniversary ... & your progress. Glad to see you post. I'd just been wondering where you were. Perch.. ((( ))). Holly, Wow! & thanks. I hope your dinner turned out well. If you have any leftovers... don't send them here!! Shocked Liz, I'm glad to hear all is well. anachrotech... that's just what you needed. Roll eyes I hope your knee clears up soon. George.. ((( )))! Such rotten timing. I wonder if compression could help, at least a little? Hi Gordon! Lou, very nice progression run. Tramps, thanks. Smile. happy LR tomorrow. Enke, I'm glad things are ok... I'll be interested to hear what the doc's interpretation is of the report from your monitor. .. What were some of the poetry subjects? What did your DD talk about? Sort of a carpy day at the gym. Back to the drawing board for some plan tweaking. Just 2 miles which was the plan, at 9 something. I wanted to go home right then! Made myself do stab. ball reverse crunches, side planks, russian twists & SR™ hamstring curls. Stretched... then a young girl that was up there was apparently impressed by my pigeon pose (do not know why!),... we talked about it a little. anyway. It was silly but it was encouraging, & helped me do more. I thought I'd mention it, we never know when we might be giving someone else a lift. So, then 15 min. (planned 1/2 hr.)(still just didn't have it) on the ellipitcal, & upper body weights. oh well. Lots of loud women today in the whirlpool so I skipped it. I went to the library instead. I hope you're all having a good weekend. ... Carolyn, thank you for whining about the wind! I hate it too... & the temps, &... oh never mind. But I was dreading 18 mph winds in the morning, & now know it should be just fine. thanks. Smile.
              Mariposai

14 miles total with 5 miles at MP sandwiched in between. This is the first time that I took my new MP pace out for a date.........she was so stubborn...did not want me to win but I am learning to have patience with this things....I know that we will be friends before April 19th. Carolyn, I am proud of you for not giving in to the wind. Great job on that 10 miler. I also hate wind..... great work fatozzig.......wow. Can't wait to hear from the love birds in Hawaii.....maybe I should call them..........then again.....maybe notBlush

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

#artbydmcbride

Someone smart once told me to stay in bed all day the day before a race...but I had the chance to run 6 miles with the charming srlopez today. Smile 75° and sunny.

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #3309

Holly, have a wonderful dinner party. You're so Martha Stuart!Big grin
                    Is that really such a good thing....hummmm. But Holly does Rock...but don't want to see her behind bars....but I would bail ya out though... TBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Timbo - hear about what? I must have missed something . . . nothing new
                      Tammy Tammy Tammy....lol, ya fell for it...thanks. Women can't stand to hear " did you hear about what happened"...I do it allll the time, and it drives wimmin nuts. I luv ya though....your silly, ok, I am silly TimBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Ok, late night post but this is the first time I'm able to get back to my computer. Hey, I hate the wind, too. Ran into it today and certainly wasn't expecting it. I'll deal with obnoxiously cold temps, but throw some wind in there and I'm ready to wuss out in a heartbeat! I met some headwind today at mile 7 but struggled thru it, knowing I'd turn around at mile 8.5 and have the rest of my run with it at my back! The goal of this run, if possible in the unplowed snow, was to maintain as close to MP as possible, target between 8:20 and 8:30 (to account for terrain and conditions). The point of this is because I'm usually really bad at consistent pacing. So... I think this run turned out ok. Mile Splits: Mile 1 8:30 Mile 2 8:30 Mile 3 8:30 Mile 4 8:30 Mile 5 8:28 Mile 6 8:29 (hill here) Mile 7 8:12 Mile 8 8:26 Mile 9 8:24 Mile 10 8:14 (last .1 at 8:14 pace) Temp was about -13F so not too bad, until I ran into that GD wind... I'd been in protected trails/bikepaths till then and didn't even realize it was windy! (ok, I am a wimp... it was prolly 5 mph or so, but at -13 that packs a punch!)