Masters Running

Tuesday 3-11 Daily (Read 40 times)

No run for me after 2 12 hour shifts, but just wanted to pop in .....

Ribs - so sorry to hear about your friend

Jay - if you get assigned anything like how we do for human chains, you might not find out your assignment until very close to the day - I'll be looking for you among the MVS volunteers!!

Robin - speaking of maintenance....I need to schedule a massage!!

denise

BTY

Hello all you Boomers or whatever we call ourselves these days.

Today was a day for something completely different.  I'm on the road for work, and doing a lot driving - sitting way too much.  My past year was pretty low mileage and I never really managed to put together a real ramp-up in 2013.  Last week, though was 20 miles, 18 the week before, and 16 the week before, so I actually need a cutback week.  After 5.2 on Monday, and snow in the forecast here in NY for a couple of days, I decided I'd better "do sumthin" at the gym, and since I hate treadmills, I did 15 minutes of warmup on a recumbent, and 15:00 doing the Heartrate-regulated program on an eliptical, after about an hour of stretching and strength training - which is what my normal 3-4 times-per- week regimen at the gym consists of.

You know...it just isn't the same.  I don't just feel great after a good run, I feel great after ANY run.  After an eliptical workout, I just feel...

less guilty for not running.

I'm wondering if I can start packing my foam roller when I travel.  I think it would work wonders after a 3 to 5 hour drive.

It's about 50 degrees in Rochester NY right now, and by this time tomorrow there will be about 16 inches of fresh snow on the ground.  Meh.

ETA: I made my first visit to a Mighty Taco after working out tonight.  Picked two Burritos to be my first purchase.  It was pretty good but I don't know that I wouldn't just drive past it next time and get a sandwich at Subway.

BTY

evanflein

Ribs, sorry to hear that. I think as well as the age connection, the "I just saw him" is big, too. It's hard to wrap our arms around the idea that someone we just talked to, in such a normal manner, is no longer here. Brings back memories of DS2's soccer coach, when we saw her the night of my 35th HS reunion (coincidental, she was much younger than I). She complained of being "strangely tired," and died in her sleep that night of a heart attack. Speaking of which... whenever you complain about constant fatigue I get worried.

BTY, I know what you mean about the "less guilty" after you do the elliptical. It's just not quite the same, is it? Good workout for you, though. I need to get back to weight lifting. That's usually my winter "thing," and this year I've done none.

Hey, sorry to hear about the impending cold snap for so many of you (and so much snow!), but we're having an awesome warm spell. See, Mike E? That's just the way it works! I didn't get out till after work, but ran 8.1 miles in 40° after 5 p.m. The "hardpack" on the bike path was softened from the warm temps, and that made things a bit of a slog, but parts were good and overall it was a good run even though I over-heated a bit.

I like how you guys all know what I mean by "slog" without having to explain it....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Somehow 70 sounds so old, . .. except when you’re still able to do what you love to do like your running friend still at the store and Expo.  .

Glad it’s not snowing in Seattle; we have other options in mind, especially with the cherry blossoms comin’ out a week or two early. Yippee.

oh well

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Dave59, when the words and numbers are all together like that yikes. It's almost like math. bleh.

Hi, Econo!

Sorry to hear about the coaches passing ribs.

I've been training three people over the last 5 weeks. I've gotten out of the swing. Though one fella barely made it a whole week. the other two are going to be assets. The newest person is our new director of operations.

SteveP