Masters Running

Wednesday Dec 30 Runs and Rests (Read 481 times)

Mariposai

e...

Happy 32nd Aniversary to RunrWife and me..

Happy Anniversary to you!!!!!!!!!!! 32 years...wow!!!! Congrats.

Hope to see you soon in one of the races!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

It always angered me that they counted a sprinkling of freeze-dried chives as a layer.

~~~calm happy burrito vibes~~~

(embarrassed look)  I kinda miss Taco Hell.

The one day in several weeks I pop in to see what Woods Lady is up to, and here you're talking about my son!  Woods Lady has mapped out my 2010 racing schedule, too, it appears.  DS seemed a little moody when he first arrived, but really loved some sights we saw, ending with the rowdy night markets of Kowloon and a view of the decorated skyscrapers overlooking Hong Kong's harbor.  I think I made progress in convincing him to get rid of those dreadful sideburns....

Hi Aamos!  When will I see you next?  (Knoxville in March or Newport Oregon in June...?)  After several weeks of gutless post-marathon runlings, I finally pulled off an 8-miler this morning, yahooooo.  Happy New Year! 

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Lou, yes it was indeed Portland.  And a very good lunch and beer at that.  Thanks

Loved the pics you have been posting.  Enjoy your time with the grandbaby and kids.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Ran 6.7 today, putting me a whopping 4.2 miles over last year's total.    Might run a bit tomorrow, mostly because the weekend's supposed to be another wind tunnel, and I just can't see me doing a long run in the 10-mile range on the boardwalk with winds blowing in the 30s and gusting in the 40s-50s.  I'm a big girl, but winds like just might blow me away to France or somewhere.

Forecast looks greta for Friday's "First Day at the Beach" 5K, though.  In spite of temps in the mid-40s, however, I will NOT be following the race with a dip in the ocean.  I will stick around to watch the crazies who do, though.

Since we've been talking numbers of miles lately . . . . I'm a little disappointed that I didn't run more miles this year, but I'm proud that all of my layoffs were for reasons other than being burned out/lazy/just plain not getting out there.  My only non-running stretches were after the fall from the bike, after the most awful flu I've had in years, and during a fantastically-overbooked December concert schedule that was delightful in every way.  I also did my first longer-than-5K races - a 10-miler and a HM - and enjoyed them enough to actually write the check for a full marathon in 2010.  It's clear that hanging out with all of you has either inspired me or made me utterly nuts.   

Internet access will be spotty over the weekend, so I'll take the opportunity to wish y'all a happy, healthy 2010 now.  I'm so glad to be sharing the journey with all of you.  Smile

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

to tim - if you have to take the job without benefits, maybe try top arrange for a review of a possible benefits package or benefits assistance after three or six months or whatever the probationary period for the job might be.  Then you can at least have some income, . .. while looking for a better job.

ps - no particular reason but what's the longest distance you've cycled at speed without a draft?

I love Ya tet....you rock. My longest ride without drafting was a race in 2006......160 miles in 8 hours and one minute - 20 mph ave pace, which I was very proud and happy with. I am looking forward to race my first full IM in 2010, but don't know which one yet because they are few and far between being all sold out.....thanks again Taper Buddie. I am not going to play hard ball with my job prospect, but will do the best I can do with what I am dealt with. With what has happened to me in the past.....I WILL be looking for another job WITH benefits and Insurance as Holly pointed out.....I agree. Sorry to say that I have NO takers with my past Techs that would love to follow me....none, because of the "none benefits" But I will do the best I can, with what I have. But again.....I will continue to look elsewhere, and not feel guilty about it what sooooo ever!!!! Geez, I have never been through soooo much for a job. But in my area, I should be thankful for this opportunity, which I am. Just giving my best, and hoping all works out.....I know it will - TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

timbo, we're keeping our fingers (and for us barefooters, toes too) crossed for you.  Do whever is necessary to get a new computer that has paragraphs!  nice solo riding too. never heard of one that long.  howevever, unless you go to the Canary Islands, it's pretty hard to find any IM openings for 2010.  Sign up without hesitation if you can though and forget about the giant training commitment everyone says is necessary.  You could do one tomorrow and then do better when there's more time to train. It's worth it no matter what.

I am in week 7 of an only 18 week training plan for a marathon in March, so I wasn't sure if I should taper more after last week's slugfest.  But you know, tired is tired.  And I'm making up this plan as I go along anyway.   So maybe I'll do a modified taper, there're only 2 more days (just ask Slo! ;-) )  Oh, just noticed the 'or later'.   This could be good, I have 16 scheduled for Saturday.   This morning I told my self I was tapering with you, so I just viewed my run as play.  -).           What are your tips for weather related let-downs??

dg  -

depending on your upcoming marathon goals in 11 weeks, if you don’t feel like running, it’s okay to taper even for ten more weeks up until a week before your upcoming marathon. 

Based on an article in the winter 1978 edition of the Runner Magazine (now defunct), it is possible for anyone in reasonable shape to complete a marathon too if they can run for two hours, no matter how slowly beforehand.  <<<(deadman’sshuffle/deadman’sshuffle)>>>  Thus, after training weekend-in-and-week-end-out for my first marathon, I lost only four minutes the next year on three training runs of 30min/60min/120min in ten days and have continued to do so for more than 30 years.  It doesn’t make me fast but it does keep me fit.

As one of my fitness runner friends told me, “Running now is more and more a matter of wanting to rather than having prior proof” (e.g. some long four or five hour training run, etc.).

You are a resoundingly successful marathoner who no longer needs to see whether or not you can or not. Instead, it’s either running mainly  to (a) keep fast or get faster or (b) maintain fitness. 

To do the former, the necessary training beforehand and necessary straining during can often result in prolonged, if not career-ending, injuries.  Further, it’s often necessary to train in inclement weather even more conducive to injury.

Except for the circumstances of the day of the event, fitness runners with no more goal that to just do the event have the luxury of running when we want to, not when we are supposed to.  However, there’s only one way to find out if it’s suitable for you and that is to try it.

Therefore, even with a marathon impending in eleven weeks, I hope you won’t feel that you have to run for training until you really feel like it and want to.  In fact, I’ll do as with Timbo last year when I needed the company and join you in tapering for as long as it takes to get that running feeling back again.  <<<<(briarpatch/briarpatch)>>>

Be brave, be tough, tell your training you’ve had enough.

ps - besides, training for marathons doesn’t count anyway unless they are in Ilene’s Intrepid.

Good luck

pps - I dare you not to run 16 miles on Sunday and save it until you feel like it and want to. 

ppps - I've never run in inclement weather except during certain events

<<<(SeattleMarathon/SeattleMarathon)>>>>

pppps - I just missed MarkGuy by a day but he got in two laps around the Palace

=====================

happy 'vesary mikemp/rnrwife - how long have you both been runnin'?

(did you ever get over to Japan in December or is that the January one?)

ps - it looks like I'm stuck over here for a while

pps - whadicha get each other after such a spectacular Christmas?

=======================

ni hao ma jingjixue pinyin

经 济 学

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)