Masters Running

Wednesday, 10.19.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just dropping in to deliver best wishes for quick, full and painless surgery recoveries to Henry and Stumpy's DW.

OK, gotta go - crazed today.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Thank you Jay. Doing a lot of PT and OT. Recovery is coming along rapidly. Been praised for my "strong runner's quads and hamstrings". Going home either today or tomorrow.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning jay and henry..

I can never run/RW like you so I'll just pretend for a day.

coastwalker  - my grandfather never failed to vote either,
        always saying, “vote early and vote often.”

ps - don't get too crazed.

Leave that for running.
        amy - say hello next time if it’s the same tall, dark and handsome Patrick with the movie star accent who’s been running The Stick booths here-and-there ever since I got my first one at the 2003 Seattle Marathon.  Now I know why I missed him at the Portland Expo.  He’ll know the barefoot guy from Seattle.,

Robin - enjoy the next six months eyeing Boston.
        Running’s much more fun with a great goal in mind, timewise or not..
        TW - happy hoka. (though I really don’t think you need them)
        Nice running for Lat (10), 2C (18), posie (4i), Bertha (5i), Holly (4.3), Evan (6.6).

That’s 11.9 miles more than all my August-September training for Portland

Bertha - happy 80o up there
        for some reason maybe because it was the hottest weather I’d ever experienced,

the weather historian in me still remembers coming down to the UW from the northland

for my freshman when it was 80o on 10/14/61.

However, sorry about your job. I love mine so much I hate thinking about retiring and just pretend I am.

Hally - did you get out last night after all?
        Henrun - happy recovery.

Keep us up-to-date.

Take your time.

Don’t rush it too rapidly.

Keep posting.
        Stumps - how’s the DW?
        Jeanne - As Clint Eastwood says “not to give a carp about
        what anyone else thinks,” maybe a Halloween color could be more normal

for October than regular normal?

ps enke - I’m with holly wondering if MBE give up his US citizenship in favor of the Canadian citizenship, or is he keeping both?  And why did he want the Canadian citizenship?  And why do you want the opposite.  However, no particular reason, but please get it before November 8, if possible

me - five miles
        too sunny and fall foliagy of a day coming up to ignore the call of the half moon illuminating Mt. Rainier on the way, unfortunately, enough to cause a grateful gaze upward and trip over one of those striated styrofoam political ads stuck in the ground on metal frames and end up with bloody scrapes on toe, knee (lots) and palms.   First blood in a long, long time but made me really feel like a runner again, especially as probably good preparation for the upcoming Carkeek 12-Hour Fun Run through the woods out at Edmonds at the end of the month.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Morning everyone, Nice recap, tet, thanks. I am so sorry that you ended up with some ouchies, hope it doesn't affect your training.

Healing vibes to Henry and Stumpy's DW.  I know that people recover at different speeds and hope it's speedy for both of you. I know that MrStarr recovered so quickly from his hip replacement several years ago.

I have not been running since Sunday.  Monday it was raining and last night I was packing like mad to get my sewing/quilting stuff all packed.  Egads, do I take a lot of stuff, even my swivel chair this year! It's getting colder her, perfect for running.  I have my shoes, etc packed already so maybe even a run when I get there. It's at a camp on an island in Lake Shetek. They have acres and acres of beautiful maple trees. They are not as big as this leaf from Portland though!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Tet and Holly, I think the question is "why would MBE not want Canadian citizenship".   

Henrun - good luck on the rehab!

Going out soon for a trail run.  Feeling fluffy after a week of no running.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Just a bit o' a stroll for me.  Lovely weather we are having here, went a spot below 70 last night!
              amy - say hello next time if it’s the same tall, dark and handsome Patrick with the movie star accent who’s been running The Stick booths here-and-there ever since I got my first one at the 2003 Seattle Marathon.  Now I know why I missed him at the Portland Expo.  He’ll know the barefoot guy from Seattle.

One and the same, isn't he great?  But I don't know why he couldn't have been in Portland.  I saw him Saturday in Detroit, speaking of Canada.  I plan on sending him a note so I will put that in, tet.

Henry, you are going to be running before you know it.  In fact, we should start a pool.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  Everyone pick a date by which Henry will go on his first run/walk (gotta be sensible getting back into it)--heck, it can even be a jog, right?

I'm going to pick November 20.

Hard to imagine Jay as "crazed."

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet and Holly, I think the question is "why would MBE not want Canadian citizenship".   

Well, okay, but seriously, I am curious - what prompted him to want it?   Is he planning on retiring in Canada?  Are there some other benefits that I don't know about?

Starr - that leaf is bigger than your head!

No run for me today, but 32 lengths (16 laps) in the pool.  I did buy a swim cap, but I am disappointed in it.  I was hoping it would keep my hair sort of dry, but it does not, and it is constantly trying to slip off my head, so I have to keep tugging it down.  Maybe I have a fat head?  Maybe swim caps are only good for reducing drag in the water from loose hair, but on me that would be sort of like wearing one of those ridiculous pointy bike helmets on my clunky mountain bike.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Surviving the hospital visits....Ran/walked with glorious sunrise this morning in shorts & t-shirt

As to running, doc says it's fine, but like infants you have to walk before you run (we're ignoring the crawling stage).  One month after knee replacement, he's not going to be running - more likely 3 - 4 months.  We have one friend who ran about 6 months later, but waited one year to race because he went into a new age group

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Point taken, marj.  OK, I'm on for my mom's birthday--Jan 18 on Henry.   Hang in there, mi'lady.  Maybe Henrun's the exception, but it's been my experience that women tend to be a bit more stoic about being laid up than the other gender.

Holly, you have to face it.  You have Fat Hair.  It's gorgeous, and it's abundant.  Does Shaq or LeBron have a line of swimwear we might peruse?   [My head, it was announced by my classmates in high school after we were measured for caps and gowns, is the same size as the senior class star tight end.  ]

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Holly, I think he got it just as a lark, but also to give him the option of moving to Canada, just in case.  I know several people that would like to retire there, just for the socialized medicine.  Not sure how I feel about that....if they have never lived there before.

I did 10K at the Bridle Trails.  Nice day, about 54 F and no wind when I started out.  Two months until my next race, a 12K, and I want to get some decent training in for this one.  Is it crazy to think a sub-2 hr half marathon will never be in my reach again?  I'd sure like to train as much as I can, while I still can, to see how close I can get.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Head Procrastinator

Tet, I did not get out last night. But made up for it this evening. It was 80° today and the beach was full of people. OK well not full but for October 19th there sure were a lot of folks enjoying the day and the boardwalk. Took my bike for a spin to try my new saddle. Not very far but it a pretty sunset.

Starr, that is a big leaf!

Holly, you know how they make wide leg boot? You need lots of hair swim cap.

Go Henry! Saw Stumpy's post on FB, go Mrs Stumpy!

I ran 4 this AM and did 20 mins weights as well.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                        Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I ran with some JV boys, today.  We did a workout kind of like cyclists do, where you run in a single file and the last guy runs to the front, then the new last guys peels of the back and runs to the front and on and on.  They dropped me!  I just told them to go.  After they were through their last set they came back for me.  As humiliating as that was, I sure did appreciate it.  They are a great bunch of kids.

Okay--gotta go!  I have a sermon to write for this Sunday.  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks for all the good wishes for DW here and FB. Greatly appreciated by both of us. She ended up some morophine just before I left and was pretty comfortable.

I I did make it out for 3.1 miles before we went to the hospital. It was 20 degrees warmer than the last time I was out 68 by the time I got back.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks for all the good wishes for DW here and FB. Greatly appreciated by both of us. She ended up some morophine just before I left and was pretty comfortable.

Good to hear!

Speedy 2 mile run this afternoon - will meet up with a friend tomorrow for some rainy miles.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

SteveP

Tet!!! Youch!!!!

Starr, you look mahvalous!

SteveP