Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 1.25.14 (Read 41 times)

Nice running in those chilly conditions everyone!  If I could share today's weather with you I would.  Started out at freezing with frost on the roads, by the time I hit the mountain trails it was 39F, 5 mile run, then it was 46F, now it is 53F on the higher elevations and nary a cloud in the sky.  Went back up there in the afternoon with my son for a 2.4 mile walk, roughly, and my legs felt tired.  The kids were saying, get the sun out of my eyes!  As if they have been living in a dark cave for the past 4 months, which isn't far from the truth.  They also said, it feels like summer!!!

We all agreed every day should be Saturday and sunny.

Argg, Happy Birthday Matey!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Claire is throwing me a B'Day Party

Does it get any Better??

I think not.

Love it! Happy Birthday!

Jay – I thought the movie was pretty good, but then I like that sort of thing.

Dave – way to tough it out!

Deez – nice run!

C-R – well done to you and DS in the snow and wind!

NHLA – cold race!

Tselbs – I don’t blame you at all…

Enke – “Every day should be Saturday and sunny” – I agree!

20 degrees this morning, like C-R said, seemed like a heat wave. However, the 4-5 inches of new snow, plus 25-40mph gusting winds, made the conditions less than desirable. I layered up and ran outside for 4.5 miles, and most of me was okay, but my face was freezing and being blasted with the falling snow. I guess I need to get a balaclava or something for this type of day. I wussed out and went home to the TM, running 11.5 more miles watching some Vin Diesel movie. 16 miles total.

Then after lunch DD and I did a 2-hour Zumba class to raise funds for DS’s school club. It was not pretty, and I seemed to be 2 steps behind everyone else, but it was great fun!

Tuckered out now. Time for a glass of wine….

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Zumba is so much fun!

Fast post here because I am hungry and I still have to plan what to cook for dinner.

My girl's play morning was a blast. Baby Asher (2months old) is adorable. Sister Harper 3 is a great dancer and a cook. We made chocolate chip cookies. Yummie!!!! (no I did not eat the cookies ). Mama was happy to have a little break for herself since their papa is on business trip and I was delighted to have my little girlfriends to play with Smile.

I wonder how the pirate birthday party is going.

Ohhh I so greatful for Wi Fi and cell towers

Here is what I just posted about my run on Facebook.

I ran to the town of Riverside to check how the town was doing Smile and then ran back home. First day using the upgraded version of Endomondo. Wow I get more data about my run than I care to know.
        For example: I ran 15.81 miles. Av. speed: 11.51 (it is a hilly course)
        Min. altitude: 846ft. Max. Altitude: 1306F
        Total ascent: 1594 Total descent: 1598.
        Temp: 30f        78% humidity.

All in all a very good training day considering that I ran 10 miles with some speed work yesterday. Ohh and the last 2 miles were @MP (well, the last mile was a little short of a mile Smile)).

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

NIce going there Mariposai,

You know, you can always have my DD as your playmate!  The spirited one!

I think that is too much data too.

Everyone should do one untimed easy run each week.

Can I say this?  I think I have a little sunburn on my face from a few hours out in the unfiltered sun today.....sun in Seattle in January...a miracle....wow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Happy Birthday!! Did you get ice cream?

I'm watching CNN.  They just said there's a company making "meggings" - - leggings for men.    

This is my life every day with Dad. Every day.

It is very snowing out a lot and when Dad gets home it is nighttime and he get the noisy thing that makes the snow go all over every where. He must like that a lot because he does it almost all the time when we should go run run run. It makes me more ascared that the vacuum. Today, Dad had a serious talk with me. He said we were going to a party with other doggies and some people to. I had to be on my very bestest behavior (?) and this was not a competitive event (?). I do not understand why he doesn't speak normal sometimes. Then he got into the drawer that has his pants that go swish swish when we go run run run! I got all rexcited and made lots of noises and danced around the house. Mom grumped at Dad when she was putting my best Batman coat on. She said I was all wound up because of him. I don't get those two.

Then, me and Mom and Dad took Honey to a big big park where it was really cold and winding and there were dogs and people and even some kids too!!! Honey started yelling to get out and play, then I did too! We had to wait until Dad put goop on our feet and Mom put Honey's coat back on her. Dad got out a bag with dog toys in it and I was even more happy, because this is going to be a great party! Then Mom got the toys and then and then and then, she gave them all away!!! Dad said it's for dogs who help take care of hurt soldiers. I'm not sure, but I guess it's OK. Then we got to go see all the other dogs and got treats too! Mom and Dad talked with people and me and Honey got to sniff up other doggies.

The nice lady, Val, had all of us all line up then she started saying some words just like the blah blah blah before a race! So me and Honey started yelling, "let's GO! Let's RUN RUN RUN!". Finally we did!!Dad was mostly waddling but we were still winning!! Then dad went back and got Mom and Honey. And he talked with a lady who was walking her dog. I had to drag Dad back to get way in front again....Then we went back and got Mom and Honey. Sheesh. Honey does not care if we go this way or that way. Fast or slow. She only want to go where ever her nose thinks it should go. We went pretty slow but it was fun fun fun until I saw....squirrels!! Then it was great! Dad held the leash very tight but I really wanted to make them run run run!! Dad would not let me, but I still liked seeing them. They didn't care at all. Boy I'd like to show them.

We got close to the end and Mom gave Honey's leash to Dad. Honey didn't even notice. When we got done there were prizes too!  Simone's Mom won a shirt , Honey won some treats! And I won a brand new ball!!! We should do this every day!

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Sounds like Tag had the best time of everyone today.

With all the bad weather you guys are experiencing, maybe I shouldn't post pics of my race today. . . . . . . Oh whatever . . . .

It was a gorgeous day!  I finished 1:30 and am very happy with that.  Never pushed, just did my own thing, ran all the inclines, and never stopped, except for the couple of seconds to take some pics.

There were 3 distances: 8 3/4, 5 3/4, and 3.  The 5 3/4 started in the town of Trinidad, and the 8 3/4 and 3 started, well, 3 miles outside of town.  (Some of the folks at the starting line)

Me and a new friend.  Her boyfriend, Thomas Sanchez, finished 11th overall.

About a 1/4 mile into the race

Coming up into town.

Headed out of town down Patricks Point Drive.

The view for a couple of miles.  The first is looking back at Trinidad head.

The last 2+ miles are on the beach, and you have to cross the Little River.  One positive about no rain so far this winter is the river was only about ankle deep - but cold!  Most years, the river is at least knee deep, at times waist deep, and they usually have the Coast Guard out there.  Today it was search and rescue as I don't think there was any chance of someone getting swept out to sea today.

The guy directly in front is Roger, one of the new friends I made today.  This was the longest he'd ever run.

It was kinda cool because one you hit the beach, it was so clear, you could see the runners stretched out of the couple of miles.  You can see the finish line area out in the distance.

The Humboldt State University Marching Lumberjack Band.  They're crazy!

This wasn't a race for me, just timely in place for a cutback week in my running.  I finished in 1:30:28, OA 303/395, 11/17 Age, and 123/178 Female.  I  kept it consistent and really enjoyed myself.  I have conversing with some new folks on-line (Roger and the girl at the top being a couple of them), I  met them all today for the first time, and we went to the brewery afterward for some lunch.  Really nice group of young people (I'm at least 20 years their senior), and I hope to get together with them for runs more often.

If you're ever in this area come late January/early February, time it with the Clam Beach Run.  If the weather's nice, it's a fun race.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

coastwalker  when we were kids and went skinny dipping most of the boys tried to get in the water asap except for the well endowed. We called them bankwalkers.

I would have been first in the water...

Happy birthday tomwhite!

I was scheduled to run 16...I planned on running 18...I ended the torture and turned off the treadmill at 16.  I moved Ryan and Eric into a new place all day, today, and I started feeling sorry for myself and used that as an excuse to just do 16.  I'm not real happy with myself...but, if I had gone outside and run 9 miles out and tried to get back with 18, they would have found my frozen body 2 miles from home.  I had nothing left.  Anyway...16 in 1:57:12.

Okay...I'm beat...see ya. 

evanflein

Fatozzig, that looks like a really nice race. Where's all your snow?? 

Mike, 16 miles on the treadmill is nothing to sneeze at. Nice job. So are Ryan and Eric rooming together?

9.1 miles today on ice encrusted bikepaths. The freezing rain from yesterday and the day before made everything so icy. The bikepaths had been plowed, but in places that just "polished" the ice and made it pretty scary. The overpass over the train tracks was the worst and the downhill parts I can usually zip down had me mincing my steps very slowly and carefully. Still managed an 8:20 overall average pace and the mile splits weren't too far off and my legs felt good throughout, so Im happy.

We should be in the -10 to -30 range this time of year, so this prolonged warm spell has been nothing short of weird. We'll have nice temps into late next week, but no more rain forecast, thank goodness.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Birthday tom.
                    No particular reason but how old are you?
                    Are your knees the same age as the rest of you or older like mine?
                    Oh well.
                    Enke - nothing warm about the seattle I experienced today ranging from 32-36 or 37 at the best with frost always along the way but it was a perfect day anyway as I seemed to have overcome Wednesday’s 24-hour flu that lasted 72 hours but gone enough by Saturday morning to go back to the scene of last May’s Pigtails 100 mile to see if I could churn out three laps of the 10-mile loop around Lake Youngs in under the three hours needed for another try this year. 
                    I got last place by a long shot but after an easy, 2hr/55min first lap, was able to churn out a 2:32 and 2:36 even though the rocky, mechanically-crushed, sharp gravel “improvements” along the way had the soles of my feet burning badly through the pair of waraji straw sandals I was trying out by the middle of lap three.  Nevertheless, still gave much-needed confidence that, if I can get over to Japan again for the Tokyo Marathon at the end of February, the waraji will be a good enough substitute for the wooden geta that were proving too slow for the seven hour cutoff in several marathons when I was over there earlier this month.
                    With only the car I was using out in the middle of the parking lot and the RD with two volunteer remaining at the finish, it looked the my lonely bike at the transition areas of my current triathlons.  Oh well.

ps - did I see swimming suits?

pps - did I see a perfect runningbarefoot beach?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

That looks like a wonderful time, Leslie.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

That looks like a wonderful time, Leslie.

Yes it does, and you as well, Steve!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

ps - did I see swimming suits?

pps - did I see a perfect runningbarefoot beach?

Yes, you did, Tet.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance