Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 1.23.18 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.2 windy/warm morning miles + 2.2 post-work TM miles)
    Jlynne (4.9 slippery miles at 5AM in 32° temps + planks, weights & medicine ball)
    Henrun j(2 mizzle morning miles)
    Fatozzig (30 min of core/ST + 8 min on the bike)
    Catwhoorg (4 lunchtime recovery miles)
    C-R (short, early TM run)
    Dave59 (3.06 lunchtime windy miles in 65° temps)
    Wildchild (vacation laundry & showering cross-training)
    Bioguy (6.2 neighborhood, post-work miles)
    Holly (35 min of weights & core)
    Tet (5 garbage & debris-filled miles in 43° temps)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Falconfixer (4 pre-work miles + 6 lunchtime miles)

How did everyone in the PNW make out with last nights earthquake?

So sorry about the passing of your friend, Fatozzig. CFS.

Sorry about the slipping, pelting and the near-hit, Jlynne.

Holly, I agree with Falconfixer - better to have pain meds and not need them than visa versa.  There's no need to be a hero, and nobody will think you're a drug addict.

I was out the door at 4:10 this morning, and back in at about 4:16. That is how long it took me to walk to the street and confirm that it was as covered with ice as our walks, driveway, and everything else. It had been drizzly all night, and was supposed to have warmed up overnight, so I figured I'd just have wet roads. But it was 28° when I went out, and the 'wet' was solid and slippery. I'm so far behind my pace bunny that it's laughable...

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning!  Didn't want to get out of bed, but did.  3.2 miles-  40 degrees and gloomy, but at least it's not single digits this week.  Dental appointment this afternoon to replace a crown- I've put that off for two years.....

2.1 treadmill miles after the horrific dental appointment (although the nitrous is wonderful).  Watching the beginning of Vandy's probably loss to Tennessee (the dreaded orange) at Tennessee.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I was out the door at 4:10 this morning, and back in at about 4:16. That is how long it took me to walk to the street and confirm that it was as covered with ice as our walks, driveway, and everything else. It had been drizzly all night, and was supposed to have warmed up overnight, so I figured I'd just have wet roads. But it was 28° when I went out, and the 'wet' was solid and slippery.

Pretty much the same here Jay. The warmer temps we had yesterday disappeared and the street was like a skating rink this morning. Back to the treadmill at the Y - a necessary evil these days. I had to break up my run due to the time limits, but did two 30 minute stretches for 5.9 miles, then 10 minutes on the rower and 30 minutes of free weights.

Good luck with your dental appointment this afternoon RunnerKSA.

Steve - your post about squirrels and coconuts made me laugh thinking about how they'd try to tackle one!

Nice of you to take such great care of your neighborhood Tet.

The only good thing about not having regular access to showers is that both your and your DH are in the same situation Carolyn! Have fun and keep in touch.

I read that Super Bowl tickets are selling for over $4,000 on-line. Wow. How are you doing Mike? And I think I read that both of your quarterbacks will be free agents next year??

Have a great Tuesday folks.

Quickadder

Early morning easy run with DD, which was as much as I wanted as I recover from this lingering cough. 5.2 miles in 40F temperatures under a clear sky.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, all.

Welcome back Steve and AD.  Nice to have you around to provide a little sanity.

Last night the weather report said it would be 40° when i went out this morning.  A little bit of a surprise when it was 32° when I got up.  And slick in spots.  Guess it's a good thing I'm not a long strider.  No actual slips, but it occasionally felt like I could.  3.1 miles around the lake at a very deliberate pace.  Read slow.

Trip to work was uneventful for me.  Not so much for one tractor-trailer--he was about 50yards off the highway and into a marsh when i drove by.  Slowly still.  Big old wrecker parked there--probably trying to figure out how the hell they were going to drag this one out.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

50 miles south and 4 hours later no ice and we went out for a short run.  it was lovely until henrun decided to examine the street a little too closely (slipped on T tracks).  fortunately only ego damage (minor abrasions).

have a lovely tuesday everyone!

marj

TammyinGP

Hope you are feeling 100% soon, Quickadder and no relapses. 

didn't even know about this earthquake until I saw someone on FB post something about tsunami warnings but it was called off for the Oregon coast early this morning. 7.9  - that's huge!  wonder if Erika felt anything? 

hoping the rain holds off for a bit so I can get in a run during my lunch hour.  I have new shoes to try out!

Tammy

Runner - The cocktail of ibu and Tylenol - For years I've taken ibu, Tylenol, and aspirin for my headaches.  It's the only combo that knocks them out.  A friend tried to tell me I was destroying my kidneys, but the combo was recommended by a doc and it's not like I take handfuls every day.

I'm reading a nurse's memoir and she talks about how we deal with death has changed over the decades and about advances in medicine.  One of the pain relievers that was used regular in the UK in the "Olden Days" was the Brompton Cocktail - Morphine, Cocaine, Gin, and something else (I can't remember).  

Holly - Get the pain meds.  It's hard to focus your body energy on healing when you're in pain, and no one will think you're a drug addict.

Jay - Good decision.

Me? I got nuthin' except crappy sleep last night.  The Hub is starting to snore more.  One of us may not survive this . . . . 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - has your DH been checked for sleep apnea?   Since my DH got a C-Pap, we both get better sleep.

Trying the Tylenol/Motrin combo right now, which seems to be holding it at a manageable level so far....hopefully my kidneys will hold out, at least for a couple of days until this is better (it has GOT to be better soon)...

My DS made a delicious vegetarian chicken curry soup for dinner last night, and I brought some for lunch.  He has a great vegetarian cookbook and has been trying new recipes lately, with some wonderful results.

7 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...fatozzig//.........we actually still mixed up Brompton's when I was interning.......

my Favorite Old Time Remedy

was called ''Teethina'' from the 1920s

one of the

Old Pharmacies

I worked had had a box

it

was for Baby's Teething and was ''guaranteed not to contain heroin''

apparently it had opium instead

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-baby-spoon-dr-moffetts-teethina-quack

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

went out for 4.1 miles on my lunch hour. 
                        Picked up some new shoes yesterday since my other pair had 420 miles on them. They were starting to hurt my feet on long road runs.  This time I got Brooks Glycerin's (other pair is Transcends). wow - what a difference new cushion makes in how I felt!

Tammy

pfriese

Afternoon all.

Yesterday, the temperature here was perfect for running (about 45 degrees), but the WIND... 35 mph with 45 mph gusts!!! I really didn't want to run out in that WIND. So, it was treadmill time for my planned 6 miles.

On the other hand, today was a near perfect running day here; 50 degrees with no wind. The training plan called for a ladder interval (400m, 800m, 1200m, 1600m, 1200m, 800m, 400m @8K pace with 400m recoveries between). With warm up & cool down before/after the intervals; I ended up with 8.7 miles for the day.

Paul

was for Baby's Teething and was ''guaranteed not to contain heroin''

apparently it had opium instead

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-baby-spoon-dr-moffetts-teethina-quack

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Busy day for me. Early morning meeting. It was in a building I needed to walk a few blocks to get to. It was pouring rain for the walk in both directions. Before anybody writes anything about rules, there is no walking to a meeting rule! Just running rules. At the day's end the rain ended and I went out for a 8 mile run with the last couple in the dark. Also in the rain!  What!!!!! The weather forecast said no more rain. Plus there were breaks in the clouds when I first went out. Not fair, not fair!!

This will not help Holly S. but for those of you where pot is legal, I hear the stuff out now is waaaay stronger than what was around during my youth.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

14.26 @ 8:09

Perfect weather again, but a storm coming tomorrow. It was lower 60's where I started, but after a few miles I was in a warmer place and contemplated taking my shirt off, but I had bandaids over my nipples (because you know why) and thought that might be a little suspicious for the civilians. So I ran with a drenched shirt the whole time.

Jay; have you tried the Icebug shoes, or those slip-on traction things with the studs in them?

Also, because I took yesterday off, I missed the chance to say good job on the races last weekend!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying