Masters Running

THE WEEKLY RUN & X-TRAINING GROUP W/E DEC 21ST (Read 385 times)

Only a week late again Roll eyes dg-13.8 Miles + 2 walking +1:16 Strength + :40 elliptical + :10 bike...looks good to me Dutchie-6.58K + upper and lower work...good job evanflein-44.8 miles + 2.16 miles elliptical + 1:00 strength + :40 pool running + lots of walking...superb eliz-8.1 miles + 1.8 walking...we do what we can do... evryday-30 miles...excellent fatozzig-10.25 miles + core + lots of driving home lyndenrunner-25.2 miles pfriese-44.9 miles...nice week tetsujin-too busy tapering to post???
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      Mon-Off Weather Tue-5@8:07 Wed-5@8:17 Thur-Off Weather Fri-3@8:23 Sat-Off Sun-Off Total=13 miles
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        Thanks, Gordon - Mon - 3 miles, 9:23 ap; 1 hour core/strength Tues - Wimped out Wed - 3 miles, 9:41 pace; 1 hour core/strength Thurs - 5 miles, 10:00 ap. Tuff 5 miles! Too much leg strengthening yesterday. Fri - Rest Sat - Rest Sun - Rest This week starts more strength training as opposed to running, but I will definitely get in the 17+ I need to have 1,000 for the year.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks Lyndenrunner! Mon....rest............... Tues...6rest..............3miles Wed...9miles.............3miles Thurs..rest...............rest Frid....rest...............6miles Sat....6miles.............6miles Sun... 12miles...........12miles Total....30 miles
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Dutchie42

Thanks again Gordon. Trying again, sigh. Mon....51minutes of strength training for chest/back and abs, plus 5.5K easy on the TM Tue....strength training: shoulders. And that was it for today. Wed...strength training: biceps and abs Thu....strength training: triceps, followed by 5.5K sort of an interval run and finished with a short endurance leg w/o, including abs and a stretch Fri......rest day as planned Sat....UB strength training: found this exercise dvd I forgot I had. Then the day got away from me and I never got my run in. Darn Xmas shopping! I hate shopping! I hate Xmas shopping even more. Sun...very short run: 2.1K... and lots of laundry! Total mileage: 13.1K, that's double I did last week Wink Fattozig: what do you do during a one hour core w/o? Do you go to a class?

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

evanflein

Thanks, Gordon! This is my last big week before taper for Disney, so probably less XT this week. That being said... it's how I'm starting my week off! Monday: 20 mins (2.25 miles) elliptical, 35 mins upper body wts, 20 mins pool running Tuesday: 5.25 miles running, .66 mile walking Wednesday: 11 miles running (8:14 avg pace), .83 mile walking Thursday: 5 miles easy (8:50 pace), .4 mile walking c/d Friday: 2 miles EZ, .6 mile walk c/d, then upper body wts (15 mins) Saturday: 10.25 miles, 8:34 avg pace, temps between 3-5F Sunday: 20.25 miles, first 10.25 outside at -8F, last 10 inside on Treadmill! Totals: 53.75 miles run, 2 x strength training, 20 mins each pool running and elliptical
              dg.

thanks Gordon! I was going to put in results for you because you're not nice to yourself, but then remembered that I could't. Shy Dutchie.. I bugged you about this on the other thread.. but re the DVT, is there any prevention?? Mon:.... 1 mile on the TM in my pj's & Nike Frees. Ha! & the day is not over yet. Tues;... nothing Wed.... nothing Thurs... 20 minutes of the injured runner dvd Fri..... 20 minutes to finish that & also some prehab. 3+ miles on the treadmill downstairs. Sat.... 7.06 miles by the river yay, snow & ice & frozen nose. so happy to get out. Sun... 20 min. elliptical, 3.23 run 9:42 pace, 25 min. biking, 33 min. of weight machines & stab. ball.. reverse crunches & side planks. Gordon.. I'm a week late too. Wink. this is my second week of being sick so thanks for not calling me a sloth last week. though I felt/feel like one. wrong kind of inertia. I'm feeling much better but this thing really hangs on. whine whine (hack cough) whine. Angry totals: 14.7 mile run, the usual walking, 20 min. elliptical, 25 min. biking, (erika, I should keep track of the miles on these.. I see it, but then I forget) 1 hr. 20 min. strength training.
                  Thanks, Gordon. Monday - rest and tree-trimming Tuesday - Pilates, stretching, and quad strengthening stuff Wednesday - last school concert so kid-wrangling as XT Thursday - rare weekday run starting before dark; walked 0.7; ran 4.0 Friday - travel day Saturday - ran 4.3 and walked 1.0 on the bitterly cold boardwalk Sunday - ran 5.0 and walked 0.8 on the warmer but mucho mas windy boardwalk Totals - run 13.3; walk 2.5 and some stretch/strength Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Dutchie42

dg.: if it ever was a DVT type thing. Symptoms fit: pain, redness, swelling and warmth. But it disappeared again all by itself within a week. My guess is this might not have been it at all. For quick and easy reference you can read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paget-Schroetter_disease Articles I found seem to suggest that the causes have to do with the thickness of your blood and clotting properties. Genetics might come into play here too, cause some people have better clotting properties than others (hemophilia comes to mind). I also found an article suggesting that oral contraceptives can attribute to it. When diagnosed you will get medication, like anticoagulation or blood thinners. Apparently a daily dose of aspirin is sometimes prescribed. It's not a common thing to happen and I'm guessing not every doctor will know about it. The articles I've read suggest it is more likely to happen in young male athletes.

Dutchie
                    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Fattozig: what do you do during a one hour core w/o? Do you go to a class?
                      It's an hour of core and strength training combined. My coach set me up with a bunch of exercises and I've added a few. I have free weights, a Bowflex, a BOSU, and a two-piece step from The Firm (aerobic DVDs) (6" and 12") that I use. My exercises are: Legs: 2 different squatting exercises from PT w/weights Lunges onto the BOSU Step-Ups w/arm raises on the Firm step w/5 lb. weight in each hand. Step Downs to the side to where my foot barely touches a 10 lb. weight sitting on the floor next to the step Bulgarian something-or-other one-legged squat w/weights (there's one more hamstring exercise that I can't think of the name . . .) w/weights Calf Raises on BOSU w/weights Shin Strengthening w/weights Arms: Bicep Curls Overhead Press Chest Flies (Bowflex) Chest Press (Bowflex) Single Arm Rows The one mentioned above w/the Step Up Core: Crunches using the BOSU while holding a 10 lb. weight on chest Table punches (?) A back strengthening w/the BOSU Planks With the arm and legs, I do 2-3 sets of 15, depending on how much time I have. Between a set of legs, I do a set of arms, go back and do another leg set, another arm set, etc. I'm constantly switching the order and combination. The core - I switch around the order and at weight instead of increasing the number. My coach and my MAT person (both who are personal trainers) have told me that doing any more than 15 in a set is overkill and to add weight to make them more difficult. "Work Smarter Not Harder." . . . . . I am assuming this is what you wanted to know. Big grin

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

pfriese

DayPlanActualComment
                        Mondayrest dayrest day - done
                        Tuesday6 miles6 miles - done11:00/mile avg pace; treadmill
                        Wednesday8 miles7.8miles - done9:11/mile avg pace
                        Thursday8 miles8.1 miles - done9:35/mile avg pace
                        Friday5 miles4.7 miles - done9:37/mile avg pace
                        Saturday14 miles11.5 miles - done9:30/mile avg pace
                        Sundayrest day3.0 miles - done12:00/mile avg pace; treadmill
                        Total40 miles41.1 miles - Done
                        Paul
                          Thanks, lyndenrunner. Smile Monday: --- Tuesday: --- Wednesday: --- Thursday: --- Friday: --- Saturday: --- Sunday: 5 miles on the treadmill Totals: 5 miles running First workout in 15 days. Dark Horse
                          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                          nowor

A bi-coastal week M-4 mi in CA winter (showers), then 3000 mi of sitting T-strength training class; ball core class W-3 mi TM; 1 mi elliptical: lots of sweat Th-ball core class- AM; yoga PM Fri-5.5 mi before-the-snow run Sat-Shoveling fluff Sun-yoga followed by 1.5 hrs of shoveling cement blocks of snow up to shoulder high peaks, ugh Summary: 12.5 mi + winter work outs Good thing there's lots of Christmas goodies around.
                            evanflein

So glad to see Dark Horse post...! Did you go see a doc? How's the knee(s)? Please let us know how you're doing... nobody here wants to see you go!
                                Erika, thanks. Smile It's not my knees this time. I have a pinched nerve in my neck. Pain starts in my neck and radiates through my right shoulder and down my right arm to my hand, which is partly numb. This has been a problem for years. Somehow I earned the Army's Physical Fitness Excellence patch this year, even though some days I could barely comb my hair or pick up the cat. Recently the pain became intolerable, to the point that I could barely drive a car, even with one arm, because the vibration of riding in the car hurt my neck and shoulder and arm. For two weeks now I have been taking hydrocodone, naproxen, and prednisone, and these medications keep me functional, some days more so than others. Smile I am waiting for an MRI to be scheduled soon, which may tell us more about what is going on. On a positive note, last Monday I was hired for a full-time job teaching Latin. I auditioned by teaching a class while doped up to the gills. Smile And Dark Colt is really coming on as a runner. After quitting running for two years while I was away--he was in a funk during my deployment, and wouldn't even go to school for a while--he resumed running this past fall and was at once the best 7th grader on the middle school cross-country team. Today at the gym while I was plodding through 5 miles on the treadmill in 44:20, and feeling lucky to be able to do that, a few treadmills down from me he ran 5 miles in 34:20, 10 minutes faster! Still only 12. He's some kid, and not just as a runner. Earlier this year he got a perfect score on the math section of the statewide MCAS exam, and a near-perfect score on the English section. Last week at the middle school concert he was fantastic on the drums. Physically he's very tough. Last summer he and I backpacked 70 miles and 12 peaks in New Hampshire. Tonight he and Bucking Bronco shoveled snow with me for an hour and a half without a word of complaint: we've had two feet since Friday. You hear more from me about Dark Colt because he's a runner, but I'm a proud papa of two great boys. Smile Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.