Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 6/6/10 (Read 773 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run 40 miles/week or more. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard...

Here’s what I have for last week’s.  Let me know if I missed you. 

Who

Miles

Commentary

CNYrunner

Excellent about July!

Rasmussenmp

Good luck at Newport!

KellyDodge

How’s the race go?  Happy Birthday!

Holly

Not really a taper week, I guess....

Craneium

Plus mucho biking

Pfriese

10K race - 1st AG – congrats!!!

DfromBG

Strong and steady

Slimbo

Yes, we had lovely weather, too!

TomD

Strong and steady

Jlynne

First week over 40 miles, PR at a 4-mile race – you ROCK!!

Tramps

You know I won’t crack any whips, Tramps.  Just get in what running you can.  You always have a Free Pass here....

Breger

Sorry about your DNF – heat can be a bear...

Slo_Hand

78 miles biking.... in one day?  Wow!

Seilerts

Free Pass

Recovery week

Here’s my tentative plan for the week.  

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

10-12

11 miles

Easy pace

Tuesday

4-5

5.5 miles

Including 6 x 60-sec. striders

Wednesday

4-6

5.55 miles

1 mile @ 8:14, 5 x 100m striders

Thursday

0 miles

Rest day

Friday

0-3

2.6 miles

With some striders

Saturday

Another Dam 50K

Sunday

0-4

3 miles

Recovery pace

Total

?

58.7 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Holly!

Big week for you with the 50k. I know you'll have fun and do well.

Thanks for keeping us going and it's great to see new faces here too!

5/31----4-6 easy, canoeing with the kiddo----7.2 miles so far and a sweet paddle trek with the kiddo/2 more miles easy in the evening with my man-boy---9.2 total
      6/1-----8-10 with 12x 30 on/30 off or the 5k weekly race-----7 miles with 12x 30 seconds on/30 off----kiddo wants to run the 5k race tonight and I'll go but not at race pace--3.1 at the 5k series tonight---22:40---10.1 on the day
      6/2-----8 at steady pace (8:00s or so)----4.2 RAL/3 miles with the kiddo around the Smith outer loop----7.2 on the day
      6/3-----8-10 hilly---8.2 hilly/ 5k at EORC weekly race in 21:23 (6:53 pace)---11.2
      6/4-----5-6 easy with strides----4.2 easy---too tired for strides and such
      6/5-----Granby 10k as part of the SMAC team---8.2 total with 10k in 42:58--- I was first woman and our team won! great fun.
      6/6-----12-14 with IronHorse 10k pacing the kiddo----14 miles total with a 10k in 42:39---new PR and a race weekend double-header-- 2nd overall woman out of 204 and 11th out of 339 total 10k runners-- 1st in 45-49---the kiddo got a PR too and since the 5k and 10k start times were staggered we finished right together---awesome day. wu/cd miles added 8.

weights and core as usual

64.4 feeling strong

Thanks Holly for the kind words last week.  Have lots of fun on Saturday, I hope you have a blast!

Bill, I feel your DNF pain.  Hot race days can be so unpredictable.    

Recovering well, I did 26 miles last week. Feeling closer to normal but am slowly ramping back up to base with EZ miles only right now. Starting to think about where to attempt to BQ this fall.

Day

Plan

Actual

Notes

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

4-8

Thursday

4-8

10x strides, felt pretty good

Friday

4-8

Saturday

4-8

Sunday

4-8

Total

~40

Just a dude.

Thanks Holly!

Here's my plan:

DAY PLAN ACTUAL COMMENTS
          Monday 9 8.7 Easy
          Tuesday 8 w/strides 2.9 Easy... Just didn't feel good... Hoping a super easy rest day would help.
          Wednesday 10 w/ Intervals 9 2.4 warmup - 6x600 w/200 jog - 3.6 cool down
          Thursday 8-10 Easy 8 With Strides
          Friday 8 w/Time Trial 8.1 3.5 wu, 1200 stride straights, jog curves, 400m TT, FR, 200m TT, 3.5 cool down.
          Saturday 15+ Long 15.6 Long and Hilly - but good overall pace...
          Sunday 3-5 Easy 4.3 Easy and hot
          Total: 60 ish 56.5

Decided not to do any drills this week... I've got a knee that has been bugging me just a bit, so I've been walking a little weird, which has made my back sore. I feel good when I run..

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

pfriese

Thanks Holly.

No Saturday race for the first time in 3 weeks (raced 4 out of 5 Saturdays in May!).

Also, an actual plan this week!

Day Plan Actual Comment
            Monday rest day rest day
            Tuesday 8 miles 8 miles am run
            Wednesday 8 miles 8 miles am run
            Thursday 8 miles 8 miles cool am run with strides
            Friday 8 miles 8 miles am run
            Saturday 5 miles 0 miles too much yard work
            Sunday 15 miles 16.2 miles very warm, very humid
            Total ~50 miles 48.2 miles

Paul

TomD

Thank you as always for keeping this thread going.

Monday           -    13.0

Tuesday         -      15.0

Wednesday            5.6

Thursday               13.4

Friday                        9.0

Saturday                   4.6

Sunday                     9.6

Total Miles       70.2

TomD

Thanks Holly - I doubt that I will make 40m this week.  The holiday and some air travel are going to make it a challenge.  This is what I have:

m - 4m

t - off

wed - 8.1m

Th - off

Fri - 7m

Sat - 9.1m -- that was terrible -- was going to go 11 and just had nothing -- was actually walking part of the way ... I haven't felt that crappy during a run in a really long time.  [Lack of sleep for several days + nasty humidity -- oh well.]

Sun - 5.4m    

Total - 34 total

2012= under-goaled

Tramps

Thanks for the motivation!

I probably won't make 40 this week. 

Hmmm...maybe I'm not that motivated.

Day Plan Actual Comment
                  Monday 10K 6.2M nasty H&H race; course PW
                  Tuesday 0
                  Wednesday 5
                  easy
                  Thursday 8

Friday 6

Saturday 10

Sunday 0

Total ~35

Be safe. Be kind.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Thanks Holly, hope you have a great 50K run.

Marathon week.

Mon: 8 miles including 2 mile @ mp - 9.5 miles with 2 miles @ 7:30 pace. very good run this morning. rest of the week will be easy.

Tues: 7 miles - 8.0 miles at a nice and slow recovery pace

Wed: 6 miles - 7.0 miles including 6 x 30 sec @ 5K pace with 2:30 interval. legs felt slow and sluggish, not a good time for that feeling. We shall see what Saturday brings me.

Thurs: 5 miles - 5.0 miles nice and easy recovery pace in the AM.  drove to Newport, OR in the PM

Fri: 4 miles - 4.0 miles aerobic pace up and down a few hills new the condo unit.

Sat: 28.2 miles - 1 mile wu, 1 mile cd and 26.2 miles Newport Marathon (3:30:19), ave HR 151, peak HR 165.

beautiful weather, (sunny, 55 degrees, light winds), scenic course (pretty flat, only a few short up and downs) (ran mostly along a small bay and the historic section of town), wonderful friends to enjoy pre and psot race festivites, plus an inadventant pacing of a woman to a BQ (course she did the work and training required).

overall a solid effort, good time and no soreness (just the normal tired muscles).

Sun: 4 miles - 4 miles recovery pace, then visted some of the local sites, lots of walking.

Total:  65.2 miles

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

I am requesting a pass for this week. I strained a calf muscle at the end of my run on Sunday. I haven't run since in hopes that I will be ok to run in a race tonight.

Just a dude.

KellyDodge

How’s the race go?  Happy Birthday!

Well, the race was interesting. 

I hadn't raced in nearly 20 years... I had very little to go on for what pace I could run... I had an 800m time trial from a month before and I was looking at workouts on McMillian's charts... I had the idea I could probably run 5:30 or a bit faster (almost 6400 feet elevation)...

There were 2 guys in the race that looked like they would run between 5:15 and 5:20, so my plan was to go out behind them and see what happened as the race went on.

I warmed up only to find that the race was delayed by issues with the hurdles two races before... Then in the 100m right before my race, a gal fell hard about 30m in and didn't move.  Hit her head pretty hard.  They were quite careful and didn't move her for a while... She ended up being ok...

But it meant that my race started over 30 minutes late... So I'd warm up... wait... warm up.. wait... stride.. wait...

We finally started... I went out very easy, but found myself in the lead.  I could hear lots of footsteps and breathing, so I figured that everyone was right on my tail.

My first lap was 84.  My plan was 88, so this seemed just a bit fast, but I felt great.  Still everyone seemed right on my tail and I was expecting to get passed any time...

800m split was 2:50.  For some reason this sounded really slow (weird, cuz my plan was 2:56).  So I picked it up on the 3rd lap just a little bit.  In the process, everyone else fell off the pace.

I don't remember the next split, but I ran the last lap strong and kicked it in the last about 120m.  Final time was 5:05.91.  Second and third were 5:19 and 5:22, so they ran about what I expected them to.  

So a surprisingly good first race, and I am looking forward to running a couple at low altitude...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Wow it's been a long time since I've been here.  I will spare you the myriad of excuses, but , life in Kandahar has been exceptionally challenging this past year.  80 hour work weeks are not uncommon, air quality is abismal, and connectivity with the internet is slow.  I have been running consistently, but not using RA.   OK no more salty tears.  Here is the week

Monday  = Rest           acutal..I actually rested! 

Tues = 7.5 miles        actual.. 7.5 miles

Wed = 7.5 miles         actual   7.5 miles

Thur = 7.5 miles         actual   7.5 miles

Fri =     4.5 miles         actual   4.5 miles

Sat = rest

Sun = 13.1  1/2 Marathon  13.1 (1:45:28) 

Total 40.1   

MM #7877

50 miles. 1st 50 mile week since Sept 08.

Philippians 4:13.

Slo

Put me down for 37 and some change. I haven't logged Saturdays run yet...my garmin hasn't shown up yet after the move. No Sunday long run.....I was bushed....plus I didn't know where my garmin was.

Got a couple of good quality runs in but blew off Sunday long on account of the move.