Masters Running

3.12.13 - Tuesday Daily (Read 50 times)

TammyinGP

Jlynne, no need to apologize for whining. There's absolutely no requirement that all posts here have to be only be those running and only those that have some positive to report on. Complain, whine and rant all you want. That goes for anyone here. Don't lurk or stay away if you don't have running to report or if you want to rant about something.

In yesterday's mail, I received a great package from Ribs - a pair of Feetures! compression socks which will hopefully help with some of the tight barky calves I've been having on my long runs. I'm very anxious to try them out and see the difference they will make. Thanks again Ribs!

I had a great run at lunch. 5 miles in 46:24. I wasn't really planning on a progression run, but it sort of ended up that way. 9.46, 9.49, 9.16, 8.52, 8.37.   We'll just ignore that 2nd mile. I had to stop and wait for traffic and didn't pause my watch, so in reality that mile was probably more like a 9.35.

Last week when I ran a fast 10K after work with my speedy co-worker (8:35s), I told my son about that and he actually seemed genuinely impressed and then after my long run of 17 miles on Saturday where all but 2 miles were in the 9:40ish range, he commented to me "mom, your running is really improving!".   And then when I am doing my burpees, he's counting out how many I'm doing like a drill sergeant. and when i'm struggling to get those last few done, he's shouting out "only 3 to go Mom. You can do it!!" He'll end up doing coaching someday. i just know it.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

How come he's not doing them with you? Evil  And nice pacing for 17 miles, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

How come he's not doing them with you? Evil  And nice pacing for 17 miles, too.

exactly!! That's what I told him the beginning of the month - that he should do the burpees with me! I guess he figures since they already do them in PE class most days, and he gets in 2 hrs of agilities and track practice a day, that he's getting a sufficient workout already.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Here's a link to a bicycle crunch, Jack--that's not me in the video, by the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUquBnXi_A

Hey friends -- was feeling a little on the slothy side today and couldnt quite get my act together until I started thinking about all my friends here and in the "real" world that aren't able to run either temporarily, permanently, because of physical ailments or mental health issues so I pulled up my big girl panties, laced my shoes and dedicated my run to all of you!!

6.2 miles total ... 1 mile warmup, .5 mile pickup followed by .25 mile recovery x 6 sets then almost another mile easy pace.  My pickups were between and 8:03 and 8:20 pace and felt great!!  It was so invigorating to do that type of workout and made me really appreciate the gift!!

tomorrow - core work and swim lesson .... unless of course I am helping my granddaugher enter the world!! this waiting is taking a toll on me!!   Roll eyes Roll eyes

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Hello good people. I'd like to apologize for being whiny yesterday. I don't mean to be a downer on the forum. Will take a short recess, lurk and try to come back soon with happy news Smile

Oh good grief!  Absolutely not permitted!  You come here and whine every day if you must, but you are not allowed a recess!  We miss you too much.....

Good News Is Not A Requirement Of Participation Here!  (thumbing through the rulebook....)

5 easy-paced miles on the TM this morning, plus burpees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I guess he figures since they already do them in PE class most days,

Your schools have PE every day?

I will share a story from last Friday, my 48th birthday.  I got off work early ( as I usually do Fridays) and took my car in for a minor repair.  As I waited in the waiting room, an elderly black woman struck up a conversation with me.  I have to tell you, I enjoyed our talk so much - this woman was a hoot! And a blessing besides.  She was there getting her Lincoln Town Car serviced (paid cash for that car, I'll have you know, long ago), and she told me the story about how she had gone down to get her driver's license renewed that day.  "I will tell you, I was a bit worried about that test, but they came out and handed me my new license and I thought, 'Here I go - on the road for FOUR MORE YEARS!'"  We had a good laugh at that (although I was a bit nervous), but I will say, if I can make it to 93 and have the grace and humor and joy of that woman, well, I will be blessed beyond belief.  She is living at an assisted living center nearby.  I think I will send her a card to thank her for making my birthday brighter.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

yep, he has PE everyday plus a few days a week they have intramurals where the homeroom classes compete against each other in a month long tournament. They just finished up whiffleball. and next they have basketball.

and he has a GREAT PE teacher.  The kids definitely get a good workout in her class.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy, that is awesome - our schools only have PE once per week.

Rondog65

Hello all, nice to read about your different adventures.  Today was suppose to be a rest day, but after a stressfull day I decided to take a leisurely 2.6 mile walk instead of a normal run.  It was very theraputic to meander along and mutter to myself.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Mike E

MM #5615

That's a cool story, Holly.  I hope I'm like that when I'm an old man...wait...I am an old man...dang...I'm not like that.  Yeah--I think you should send her a card.

Tammy--have I ever told you how much I like that kid of yours?  You guys are doing a great job with him!

I was really dreading my run, today.  The wind was from the NW at 19 mph.  My normal course takes me mostly East.  Then I turn around and come back mostly West.  I just couldn't stand the thought of getting all sweaty, then turning around and fighting that wind and getting cold.  But, to go East, first, I have to run into busier traffic and I really don't like that, either.  Of course, my other option was the treadmill.  It's March.  I want to be done with the treadmill.  So, I bit the bullet and headed East and North--right into the wind--and the traffic.  It was as bad as I imagined but the biggest problem was--I had no place to pee.  My normal route I know exactly where I can go.  I spent most of the 1st half looking for a bush to go behind...did you know there's no leaves on the bushes, yet?  Yeah, it was brutal...but the 6 miles back were fun...of course, my leg was a little wet.  But, anyway--I got in 12.1 miles in 1:33:04.  Tomorrow is a rest day...I need it.

Uh oh, DW's home--I gotta go!

arf

MM #405

Hi Friends!    I was very busy last weekend and didn't get my long run in soooo.....

17 miles late this afternoon out on snowy country roads.   We have a lot of  farmland around here that is unfenced.   With the thick covering of snow the fields look much like vast white oceans that go on forever.

{{{ Jlynne and tomwhite }}}

OM - I can't believe the coaches say you're slow!  They need to give their head a shake!

Robin - You are already a speedster!   You could wear clogs!  (The shoes a really cool!!)

Tammy - I think that is so sweet about your son/coach encouraging you!

Mike - You are a peeing machine!!

have a nice night everyone

arf

Mariposai

Jlynne, we may not know your frustration, but we sure can send you a hug. Most of us have gone  through months of not being able to do any physical activity at one time or another in our lives, in my case it was pericarditis. Please know that we care and that we all enjoy your postings.

Lamerunner, sorry to hear about your own issues as well. While I hate to think you favoring biking instead of our beloved sport, I wish you good luck with your new adventure. Bikers are welcome here, you know!! And i do agree with you about Ski racing being so tough.

Dave59, I am so sorry you are missing your Hawaiian marathon. Enjoy your craft delivery. Cindy is a gem!

arf, look at you ultra goddess, 17 miles today! Enjoy the aftermath!

Tamster, you are a priceless young man there! What a strong support you have in him. You are a magnificent model for him. Lucky girl to get a gift from the wiseone!!!!

Well, my gym date turned out into a run outside since it was sunny after work and my DH was waiting for me ready for a run. 4 easy pace miles chatting along about the day's happening. We discovered tonight that this was my DH's third winter of continuously running at least 4 times a week. I am still in awe!

We got back home and  we devoured the last bit of Twocat's BBQ ribs, which we did on Saturday. A great way to end a lovely Tuesday, I may say.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Mike: Thanks for the link. Are you sure that wasn't you?

Bushrat Runner

Mike...thank you for sharing. Made me laugh...I've had that experience myself...

Swam tonight, managed 6 or 7 lengths of fly. I tried to actually swim a lap, and that was a bit of a debacle. I made it to the end, turned around, and made it about a quarter of the way back when I knew I was in real trouble. Tried to slow down the already slow cycle of my stroke, wasn't helping. My arms were made of lead. My legs were nearly dragging along the bottom of the pool. It was bad. I ended up stopping about four times in the last quarter lap.

But still...my max before this was 2 lengths...so it is definitely progress.

Waiting to finalize the airplane deal, but it sounds like it will happen. We'll see if the route and weather allow an Omak visit. Should be fun.