Masters Running

I have to change my shorts!! (Read 262 times)

I posted this on the "wierdest thing you've seen..." thread from my run today....

I was 1/2 mi into my run today (wondering how long my bum ankle was gonna take to warm up this time) when up ahead I saw what looked like a Bull Mastiff crossing the path.  I thought, oh crap there's a big ass dog on the loose and all I have to defend myself is a driver's license.  As I got to the spot in the trail where the "dog" had crossed, I slowed down to a walk/jog/shuffle kinda thing and saw a mountain lion staring at me!  It was in the bushes no more than 10 feet away.  Now, I have always been a large dog kinda guy so I know how to establish myself as alpha in that situation, but about the only thing I figured I could establish myself as for a mountain lion would be fine cuban cuisine, so I kept shuffling along hoping it had already eaten lunch.  I spent the rest of that portion of the run looking over my shoulder and feeling generally uneasy.  Of course, I was running an out and back, so all the way back I kept peering into the bushes, but thankfully I never saw it again.  The good news is that I was so worried about the mountain lion that I forgot about my ankle and was able to run 3.5 mi which is a new high for me since I got injured.  Even though I'm happy about that, I don't think I want to use this as a regular training technique!

Oh my, that calls for speed work!  Nothing like a surge of adrenaline to cure what ails you.  Looked at your profile, and saw to my horror that you -- or more specifically your kitty friend -- is too close for comfort.  I'm in Grapevine.  Have seen coyotes, a fox, vultures, snakes, turtles, and various other common critters, but never a mountain lion.
      Progress Trumps Pefection
        Oh my, that calls for speed work!  Nothing like a surge of adrenaline to cure what ails you.  Looked at your profile, and saw to my horror that you -- or more specifically your kitty friend -- is too close for comfort.  I'm in Grapevine.  Have seen coyotes, a fox, vultures, snakes, turtles, and various other common critters, but never a mountain lion.

I told one of our local police officers about it when I got home.  He says he's seen one hanging out by one of the neighborhood pools at night!

King of PhotoShop

Neat sighting.  I am not sure what the advice is for a mountain lion but I know I would be concerned.

Carol, I live in Coppell, TX.  Are you in Grapevine, TX?  Today I ran at Andy Brown Park and I was surprised to see a big sign as you head into the wooded portion of the trail:  SNAKES!  Please be careful and recognize that snakes are part of the habitat here" or words to that effect.  But the big headline was certainly interesting.   I saw no one else on that portion of the trail.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Carol, I think speed work when you see a mountain lion (or a bear, for that matter) is a BAD IDEA.  They can certainly outrun you. I think you slow down and try to look big. And un-threatening.  And not tasty.  (not sure how you look not tasty - maybe you just think it real hard and hope it's true...)

I've never seen a mountain lion on a run in Colorado, though I've seen a bear and a bobcat.  Mountain lions are so cool looking, as long as you're not too close.  Huff N Puff, I think 10 feet counts as too close!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Okay, I'm already nervous about my solitary trail run tomorrow in unknown territory.  Reading this didn't help (I'll probably have bad dreams tonight.  Shame on you. )  And ooooh yeah!  I most definitely would've had to change my shorts!!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Spareribs...hello there neighbor!  Yes, I'm in Grapevine, TX.  The Parr and Bear Creek park trails + hwy 26 are my favorite haunts.  I guess that SNAKE sign is a good way to clear the trail of other folks.

Carolyn, good point!  If a mountain lion's chase instinct kicked in, the race would be over very quickly.

Leslie, hope your trail run was free of dangerous critters. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

King of PhotoShop

Carol, why not come and run with us at Lake Grapevine Runners and Walkers.  We have a clubhouse on Dove Loop.  Visit our website at:  www.runnersandwalkers.com.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

A mountain lion - yikes!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."