Masters Running

Friday 2/8/19 (Read 40 times)

Rain day (rule #1)

Not too worried about it because I think I am supposed to take this week easy anyway.

Were facing life-altering low temps near 45 degrees overnight, so everyone is stocking up on supplies at the stores.

Isn't giving names to inanimate mechanical devices a symptom listed in the DSM-5? 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Another welcome for dnaff/Dawn, although being an acquaintance of Dave's puts you on probation for just a while longer...

Bitter cold and gale force winds today, so my exercise was about a 4 mile brisk indoor walk at a large mall. Met a friend out there for today's walk, but DW and I will be going back for the same tomorrow morning. It does look like I'll be able to get out Sunday for an actual run if the predictions hold (cold but not windy).

Have a good weekend, all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sorry the cold landed hard, Joe.  I hope it doesn't last long.  I have a cough which doesn't seem to be turning into a bad cold- but I guess it is some sort of cold.  I have NOT had a good fall/winter.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Funny stories about naming cars and buses.  We call our Sprinter van Vanessa, because that's what the previous owner called it.  Other than that, I don't remember naming any of our other vehicles.

Sounds like some terrible weather out there in masters-land!  Yesterday I took a rest day because it was in the single digit temps and WINDY!  But today it warmed up into the 20s and it's dead calm, and I met a friend for a slow snowy trail run.  It was beautiful out in the snowy woods!  But the footprints we were following turned around at 2 miles, leaving us to break trail for the next 4 miles.  Most of it only had a few inches of new snow, but several sections were more drifted and deeper.  A total of 7.8 miles took us 2:40 -- that's over 20 minutes per mile!  A good workout, anyway.  We went right past the trail camera that captured this photo of a mountain lion last week - where my friend says she stops to pee.  I looked for the camera, and it was quite obvious, strapped on a wood fence.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Wow, Wildchild, beautiful cat. And the temp reading in the corner says 54°F, is that right? Wow.

Bioguy, I think most drivers who do that are just inattentive or distracted (not that that makes it ok!), and at least she came back to apologize. The jerk who threatened me did it 100% on purpose, and then felt the need to come back and scold me. I'm still mad about that. But I will say the bike path is all nicely plowed down to dirt and pavement now (it's not all paved) so I wouldn't need to run on the side of the road now.

My dad's old '69 Surburban was Bessie. He had her until they moved out of their house just a couple years ago. I learned to drive in Bessie, with a stick shift on the floor and no power anything. Didn't even have a radio (by his request) but he also requested shoulder strap seat belts which cost quite a bit extra back then. He build a platform in the back and when we drove to Minnesota in the fall of 1969 on the first leg of our trip to England (train to Chicago, flight to London) all us kids slept in the back of Bessie and my parents had the tent. Ah, those were the days. Bessie was a beast though, and seriously falling apart in her later years. You could see the road through the rusted floor on one side. I told dad I didn't want my kids riding in that thing, but I know they loved going to the dump with grandpa in ol' Bessie. *sigh*

Now we just call the Subaru "Subie" and the truck is "lil' green truck" even though it's a full-size 4WD. 

4 easy miles on a bike path that has finally been plowed nicely, unlike the crappy work they've been doing on it lately. Really wish it wouldn't snow now for a couple of weeks, but I think we're getting more this weekend. (nothing like Seattle, though!)

Dave59

Wow, Wildchild, beautiful cat. And the temp reading in the corner says 54°F, is that right? Wow.

That 's 54° Kelvin.

fatozzig my word of the day is totallytickedoff!

I woke. Did an hour on the elliptical. Then it was all down hill from there. We had to get a new garage door lifter. That means I need to program my DW's car to work with it. After multiple attempts, no dice and then I was late leaving for the office. At the office my RAs show up. Good. The research server goes down, IT does not have a clue. I want to kill people. Return home. Drive to the repair shop to night drop my car. I try to fill out the drop off envelope and the TWO pens I bought along do not work. DW scolds me for not having a pen after telling me to check that I have one.

In celebration of this day finally ending I opened up a bottle of scotch that I particularly like. Now I am going to collapse and dream about getting to run a whole mile and a half tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I've staved off whatever I have for another day.....but not really sure whether or not that's a good thing.  Lot of my management team were out today...a combination of sick, last weekend of hunting season here and with last weekend's drill the end of a long, 12 day work week.  Even if I'd been inclined to stay out (I'm not, I've missed one day of work during my career which I know is a blessing) I wouldn't have been able to.  Also, as usual for a Friday around here, there were several things that came up late in the afternoon.  Long story short, had I felt like driving home (coin flip) I sure didn't by the time I got to the apartment.  If I feel like it tomorrow morning (I feel a "fevers/chills" episode coming which would at least end this) I'll drive home--if for no other reason to swap cars (DW's had a warning light when she visited last weekend so I had her take mine back).  Oh, sorry, it's a running forum.  Still snuck out for 3 very slow, "eh" miles.

Steve, as always, very enjoyable recap.  Thanks!

Dnaff, over time, Steve will post photos.  Trust me, it helps.  

Joe, sorry about the cold--hope it clears quickly!  As for Antietam, the two things that always stick in my mind are Burnside's Bridge and the Bloody Lane (lot of those on Civil War battlefields).  McClellan had a copy of Lee's dispositions but didn't trust that they were true/accurate (they were) and he always believed he was outnumbered.  If Burnside had turned the flank (he had a massive manpower advantage going against about 500 Georgians who were quite well hidden in the hills you described) the war in the east could have ended much sooner.  Those Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields are quite compact.  I need to go on a bike tour to Normandy, Holland, Waterloo, and so many others.

Dave, in the apartment alone I laughed at the 54 deg Kelvin.  Thanks.

Have a greta night everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I ran another 10 miles on the treadmill.  I, now, have a blister on my little toe.  I hate running on the treadmill...but I know I shouldn't complain because, at least, I am able to run.

Man, there sure is a lot of sick going around in here.  I suppose I'll jinx it, now, but I haven't gotten anything this year...yet.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

Howdie friends. I hope your week went well.

Today was 6 miles on the TM plus 40 minutes of XT after a long drive back home from Olympia. Thank goodness we got home before the snow storm.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard