Masters Running

Weightloss Healthy Eating Challenge - Week 3 (Read 396 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

i am so disgusted with myself.............i do good all day then ruin it at night -- not bad food just too much esp if i have a glass of wine and sit at the computer or in front of the tv
    Yes, yes, yes - that's me, too! Fussyrunner, I'm actually 10 lbs over my ideal weight, but I decided I'd settle for half-way there..... Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm going to keep trying, though. I just want to lose 4-5 lbs, but it seems like that last 5 lbs around your ideal weight is the hardest to lose.
      Holly - Have you changed your workout schedule much in the last couple of months? Do you do any other cardio besides running? Shaking things up might do the trick. Your body gets used to the same workouts and will refuse to "progress." My coach has me changing up my strength training routine every 6 weeks in order to keep progressing, and he changes up my running/x training on a regular basis. Just a thought.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I agree... and I think Holly does too. Holly, remember when you were unable to run and you were going to the gym on your incredibly long 30 day trial? You were surprised that you lost a couple pounds even though you felt you weren't working out hard enough (i.e., not running). I feel like my body is just so used to trotting along, it doesn't expend the energy it did several years ago before this got to be routine. And... have to admit I was surprised when I wasn't running in November, but cross training like a bandit, I actually lost a couple pounds. It's hard to know this, but feel sort of "enslaved" to a training schedule for a goal race. I've been thinking that after Boston I want to make sure I cross train more. Who knows, it might even improve my running in the long term. (by cross training, I mean other cardio stuff--bike, stair master, elliptical, pool running-- as well as weights) Deez, I get disgusted too. I was really good all day yesterday, then we were released early so I went home to snack. Roll eyes Then we went to basketball tournament games, more snacks. Then we got pizzas, and had pizza at home late late late. We had the thin crust chicken thing from Papa Murphy's and I added mushrooms and more spinach... so it was good stuff. But should've stopped at two slices. Or three. That would've been good... Embarrassed
          I was going to look back at old training schedules to see what I've been given, but I musta deleted all but this last one. Anyway, from what my foggy memory can pull to the surface, I would do something like the following: Mon - Specialized run (hill work, tempo, speed, etc.) Tues - Bike 30+ min, strength train (I have specific stuff I do and change up every 6 wks) Wed - Specialized run Thurs - Bike 30+ min, strength train Fri - Long run Sat - Long, long run Sun - Rest The 2 x-training days give me the cardio and strength training I need while still giving the legs a good workout. The specialized runs give my body the changes it needs re running.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I know what you're saying about x-training, and shaking things up, but right now I'm locked into marathon training, which doesn't leave a lot of extra time, and also I don't belong to a gym. I think the best I can do right now is try to shake up my runs with intervals, hills, and tempo runs. Getting my HR up, then down, then up, then down, those days I really feel exhausted as the day goes on, and know I've done something. After this marathon, when the weather warms up, I'll throw in some biking days. That's a good idea, Leslie, about doing 30 minutes on the bike on x-training days. I like that. Erika - its just hard getting home hungry that late. I always overdo it then. Oh, and btw, right now I’m having that sodium-explosion snack of creamy chicken cup-o-soup w/mixed veggies, but that’s okay. Tomorrow is LR day, so retaining water tonight is good.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

FYI on the bike thing - I have a regular bike that I have on a trainer. This isn't the exact one, but that's the concept. I got mine for about $100. I can look at the brand when I get home if anyone's interested. Anyway, the back tire sits on the trainer, and I use a piece of 2x4 under the front wheel to keep the bike level. The trainer (at least mine) has 3 different resistant settings, plus you have the gears on the bike for added resistance. I find that when I ride on the road, I can't get my HR up high enough to make it worthwhile. The trainer works really well. I just sit my laptop on our chest freezer, plug in a DVD and earphones, and away I go to nowhere, no matter the weather. Smile

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

I just sit my laptop on our chest freezer, plug in a DVD and earphones, and away I go to nowhere, no matter the weather. Smile
                Hey! How stupid am I? This is a great idea! I kept thinking I'd need a TV with a DVD player like Holly has... but I could just set my laptop up on the windowsill and do this! Leslie, you're a genius!! Smile I see an end to tortuous treadmilling... (and Holly, yes the water retention stuff isn't such a bad thing as long as it's not weigh in day! That's why I'm not fretting my +2 lbs this morning!)
                  Hey! How stupid am I? This is a great idea! I kept thinking I'd need a TV with a DVD player like Holly has... but I could just set my laptop up on the windowsill and do this! Leslie, you're a genius!! Smile I see an end to tortuous treadmilling...
                  Glad I could help! It took me awhile to figure out this out, too. Wink Just make sure your headphone cord is long enough. You won't be able to hear the DVD over the treadmill without them.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie - that's a great idea!! I was just complaining that i need a tv and portable dvd player down the basement with my spinning bike -- i'm going to try your idea (one my bottom can sit on the bike long enough to make it worth itBlush) i'm at least 10lbs over my ideal weight too (more like 12) i'd be happy to just stay right under 130 - i'm hoping cross-training for the spring tri will help

denise