Masters Running

40's+ on the Run - W/E 11/7 (Read 439 times)

TGIF, it's almost the weekend!  Except....ummmm....the weather has been so nice I've kinda slacked on work and will be paying for that this weekend. 

Leslie, that was a beautiful story about that soldier taking care of the dog.  But I can't imagine how many stories there are like that which don't end as well.  As for the IV fluids, that is a big ol needle, but their skin is pretty tough, and so are they!  Our Sylvester kitty would purr the whole time we were infusing him.  It's definitely a 2 person job.  Glad your hubby the fireman is OK!

Joe, sounds like you recovered from that unplanned rest day pretty well!

Hey Cindy, good to see you.  Glad you're taking it easy on that foot like we told you suggested.

Arla, have a great hometown half this weekend!!

Ev, sounds like you're having the same weather we are.  NICE!!

Jim, hope Dessie is OK.  Doncha wish she could talk?

Brought Scooter home.  He's resting comfortably, with the help of some pain meds.  He seems to feel really good, except for hating the elizabethan collar he's wearing.  Still has some bleeding after he pees, but that is apparently normal.  It's a good thing I work from home....meds 4X a day, warm compress 2X a day + walking him every few hours to make sure everything is flowing well.  

Yesterday's run was turned into a walk and glucose tab fest due to low blood sugar, and today's swim was cut short because the tape over my continuous glucose monitor site came unglued in the pool.  But on the plus side, I'm down at least 1.5 pounds.  As I eat less and lose weight my insulin needs will be changing, so it is tricky to keep up with that whilst working out.  I plan to keep on exercising, but I'm glad I'm not trying to get ready for any races as I work on the weight.  Would make for some serious frustration.  Of course, I sure would like to do the Cowtown 1/2 in late February with my leaner meaner physique!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - good luck with the corn harvest! And poor Dessie's footie! Hope you'll find a foxtail between her toes or something simple like that. 

Leslie - nice new avatar...heh.  Take it easy with your first double long run, k?   Funny (not) about the Hub doing fireman duty, what was up with everyone else just sitting around doing nothing? Hello!

Carol - congrats on your progress so far. I didn't realize that weight loss would affect your blood sugar...why izzat?

Ev - 85? Still? Really? 

No need to wish me luck on a half  - you guys know I just do these for fun (hell I'm doing another HM next weekend, too), however I am excited about the poor bleak little city of Fresno making a good showing. It's cool that the event has inspired so many people to run or participate. I have a girlfriend who hasn't run in years meeting up with me and running the half - and her boyfriend will be manning a water station - one of my students is running the full, her first marathon - and my cousins and aunt will work the water station in front of their church - I know there are tons of stories like this - anyway it's neat to see the town get behind this event!

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Have Fun Arla- I kind of envy you that you can cruise through your races like that. Less pain that way.

Speaking of envy- Carol you're fortitude is somthing else.Not only do you have to stay motivated like us,you also have to be so diligent in keeping your insulin right, and all that entails.

Leslie- hope you get through your first killer mileage weekend ok. That's a mean schedule you have, pretty much running all weekend long!

Sched this week was off so last night's 9m tempo was closer to the easy side.Good thing because I had lead legs for my 17 today.Only a 14m long run left next w/e and 2 weeks till race day!

Have a great weekend folks!

Carol - Good luck with the insulin maintenance.  It seems you've been maintaining for quite awhile.  And I echo Arla's question - how does weight loss mess with your diabetes?  Glad Scooter is doing good.  Those collars - we had to put one on one of our cats years ago.  Nobody got any sleep for awhile.

Arla - We're just gonna dub you the HM Queen.  It sounds like it's gonna be lots of fun.

Joe - Only 2 weeks left!!

The Hub came home from work, 2nd day in a row, with a bad headache.  If he's coming down with something . . .

Thanks for the comments re this weekend's running.  It's gonna be a fairly mean schedule for here on out, but I'm ready! My 20-miler today ended up being a 19.1 miler.  Out of fluids, out of food - done.  However, I felt MUCH better after today's run than I did even in the middle of my 14.4 miler last Saturday.  Amazing how much better you can do when you eat and drink properly.  Took in a little over 1180 cal/221.50 carbs over 5 hrs, plus 5 S-caps and a half a nausea pill, and I am still a bit nauseated.  I think I'm gonna have to start par boiling potatoes to take with me on my runs.  Obviously the Clif Mojo bars and Fig Newtons aren't doing the trick.  It may be all that sweetness is getting to me.

Wore a new pair of capris today.  First time I've worn capris, and they worked out great.  But I tell ya - my legs are freaking white!  I don't think you can get much whiter, unless your an albino.   On the positive side - it'd be hard to lose me in the dark.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

"Back in the Saddle Again" both in the corn field and the runs. I did an 11.75 miler today, feeling pretty whacked but proud I got it done. I allowed some negative thoughts to creep in about being sick, training missed, corn left to harvest, etc but today I feel like somehow we can make it all work out, might not be pretty or perfect, this is just one of those years u get it done and forget it.

more later......

ring 8 going on, 1 left

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Wow....some really long runs this weekend.  You guys/gals are awesome!

Yes, we've been unseasonably warm this past week.  The highs had been 50s and 60s, which is pretty nice.  But we've had at least 2 days in to the high 80s. 

I was scheduled for a 9er on Friday, but only got in 6.  I bag a 3 miler yesterday and instead helped BIL hang sheetrock, then install new headlights on my pickup.  Watched the OSU Cowboys beat up on Iowa State, then watched Nebraska beat up on OU. 

This morning I got a 10 miler in and picked up the pace the last 3 miles. 

See you next week.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday all.  A quick stop in before bedtime.  Yet another short and unsatisfying run this morning that may have finally persuaded me to take some time and work on fixing all the sore spots.  The shin hasn't loosen up and my knee is still getting sore.  All of which will be taken care of with the proper exercises.  None of which I want to admit that I need to do regularly.

Carol--the weight loss helps reduce the need for insulin? (I think?)  Hope this is a positive thing, eventually.

Arla-- hope you enjoyed your "fun" half.  Neat that there are so many folks you know involved.

Joe--nice long run today.  happy almost taper.

Leslie--I think you might be forgiven for being a little short.  you round up on distances anyway, right?  We had an old cat we had to liquefy, too.  also more traumatic for us than her, at least at the start.  She had a very sloshy hump for a few hours after each one.

I think Ev got it right on all the long runs--except he had one of them, too.

I like the way the spiral staircase gets put on as the sections get added.  Any special ceremony to christen it when it's done?  Wave a bottle of champagne at it and then drink it?

Have a great week all.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.