Masters Running

Boomers Boxing Day Runs (Read 898 times)

spacityrunner

I was struggling with what I think was some mild (compared to others) PF over the summer and still have a little soreness in my heel. The August issue of Runners World had an article on "Low Level Lasers" or "Cold Lasers". The author had good success with it. If I could have found some around here I probably would have tried it. Have you heard of this treatment? I took about a month off running, slept with a Strassburg Sock on for a few months, and even now only run every other day. I have no idea when the problem will go away completely.
    I had that laser stuff for weeks. Still took 8 months and it is not completely gone today...the problem with any of these new therapies is it doesn't answer the question...where would my healing be if I didn't have the therapy? I have done the sock, the inserts, the heel lifts, the stretching, barefoot walking, never walking barefoot.... PF is a pain in the......foot Big grin

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

Halllar – good luck on your drywall project. DH and I have decided to quit procrastinating and get our own household projects done too. This weekend we’ll start by ripping up carpet. Teresa – my Garmin revolutionized my running. I love it! One of my favorite aspects of it is that I can take off from the house, go in any direction I want, zig-zag and wander around my neighborhood, cut my loop short to run home for a potty break, and still have a fairly accurate estimate of my distance – very convenient. Rgreen – two BQ marathons in 2007? I believe YOU are the speedster. Mr. White – howdy! Glad you made it. PJ – congratulations on your PR – Great racing! Enk – that was indeed an awesome TM run (they do exist, you know).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

GreenMan

Good Swim Sal, Went out about sunset and did almost 3 miles. Some pain between ankle and AT on left foot. May bag the MLR tomorrow if warranted. JJJ
        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
        wildchild

Carolyn

I really need to get back to work and stop staring at Tall's avatar . . .
          Well, I'm not at work, but Tall's avatar is pretty hunky looking! Erika, sorry you're getting sick. My DD came down with the flu on the 23rd, but luckily her fever had broken by Christmas. She still has no voice, and is bummed that she'll have to drop back a week on her C25K. It's cold and snowy here, but I hadn't run in two days, so I went to the rec center and ran 6 miles on the indoor track. (96 times round and round - yikes!) After four miles I needed a bathroom break, and when I came back I took off my shoes and ran the last two miles barefoot - it feels much faster that way! I ran the 5th mile in 8:35, which is fast for me. The other 5 miles ranged from 10:05 to 10:40, slow and steady.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Spareribs, that was a great post, thankyou. I do think that is partly why we post our runs on this website. I know you guys "get it". I can come home and say "I did a killer run, this was my time" and it means about the same as "I had an OK run, actually kinda slow and sluggish" and I think the response from my DH is roughly the same no matter what I say. My DH works for a company that praises hard work, choosing career over balance, a real "meritocracy". I have seen it's fallout with high turnover rates and half the staff on anti-anxiety drugs or anti-depressants. You'd think they'd "get it" by now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Ok, Mariposai, Dark Horse, give it up
              Enke, I would give it up for you anytime, but I see Spareribs has already answered your question. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              bap

Our speed "coach" took it easy on us tonight given the cold and torrential rain mixed with hail. .7 mile warm up and the following pickups with 2 minute recoveries. 1 min - 8:01 pace 1 min - 7:11 pace 1 min - 7:35 pace 2 min - 7:45 pace 2 min - 6:57 pace 2 min - 7:18 pace I think the hills explain the difference in pace. Then 2 miles home at 9 minute pace at which point I was soaked through and cold so I jumped straight in to the shower. 5.1 miles total.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

mariposai, Good for you. Smile I'm not reading any Cicero these days--no one has answered my note on the library bulletin board. However, during dessert at the pastor's on Christmas Eve, I mentioned my quest to find fellow Latin students, and he meets many people, so I still hope to find other enthusiasts. I have forgotten most of my Latin and nearly all of my Greek. However, I was able to translate your Latin tag without much effort, so I have some hope for myself, too. Dark Horse
                  Salvete, fellow Classicists, Chairete Therapoi. I'm a recovering Hellenist....it's been about 18 years since my last ode. Big grin Good to know there are others out there who top their questionable love of Greek and Latin with a head-scratching zeal for anaerobic fortitude. Ran 11 miles today, with a couple of good (read: painful) hills sprinkled in. The recent rain made the roads feel like spring...slightly mushy with thaw. One can only wish.
                  evanflein

Mariposai, Larry, Wildchild, thanks... I feel ok now, just coughing a lot but nights are hard. Eliz, on that note, thanks for the tea. Prolly just what I need. Enke, yes, I have many good treadmill runs! Some of my best speedwork is done on the TM, but I also don't run on a track much. 'Ribs, how right you are. And Enke... yes working for yourself has it's advantages, but when you've got a bad boss who do you blame?? My DH has struck out on his own, and finds being accountable to himself is sometimes the hardest thing. 6.15 miles this afternoon, zero temps, cornstarchy snowpack on the last two miles up the hill to home. That stuff is so hard to run in... sure hope our neighborhood snowplow man isn't on vacation. This guy plows the bikepath on our road leading down to the main road (nobody plows the main road path...), and it's so nice. I love him! Have no idea who it is... I think someone who walks their dogs on it or something. But he's been MIA for awhile now and we've had some snow that is now packed a little bit, but chewed up by snowmachines and four-wheelers so it's really hard to get any traction. Downhill isn't so bad, uphill is really hard. Oh well, it all builds character, right? Now I'm sitting here with a dry cough and headache. Wanted to clean the house a bit this evening, but feeling sorta punk.

King of PhotoShop

Reminiscent of ThunderBolter Sir! (I got the salvete, but not the Greek; DH can handle that stuff however.) Hey, has anyone asked TB to join us here? Spareribs
                      bap

I just realized that I've broken a personal record. I've never run on 5 successive days before. I have a gentle 4 miler scheduled for tomorrow before my trip to the UK. 26.8 miles at 9:03 pace.

Certified Running Coach
                        Crocked since 2013

Cashmason

8.5 miles today. Hips are sore, which means the IT bands will be next to hurt. Used the foam roller tonight, so that may help.
                          Cashmason

Erika, Sorry you aren't feeling well. Mustang Sally, nice workout in the pool. 1:38 is fast. 1800 yards is quite a work out. Does the chlorine every dry out the skin around your eyes? It really gets to me when I do anything over a half mile in the pool.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I had that laser stuff for weeks. Still took 8 months and it is not completely gone today...the problem with any of these new therapies is it doesn't answer the question...where would my healing be if I didn't have the therapy? I have done the sock, the inserts, the heel lifts, the stretching, barefoot walking, never walking barefoot.... PF is a pain in the......foot Big grin
                              Runnin. I hear ya!! ....but have you put it in a walking boot (AirCast) to immobilize it for 6 - 8 weeks? You have to treat PF like a sprain. Otherwise you just keep re-injuring and applying new "bandaids" Looking at my log comments March 21st: COMMENTS: PF was sore adn then burning, stabbing pain at mile 5-6. Could not walk without intense pain all day. MARCH 23rd Started wearing Air Cast all day April 7th 2007: COMMENTS: REST PF still BAD. Wrote Boston Bail thread on CR today! Major depression! I just want to run with Tory period! Much stretching, walking in running shoes, icing. Ham stretch helps PF. Golf ball massage keeps heel sore. bad memories! oh and this one... Tory slept beside the elliptical. April 12th: Kept foot in boot. Couple streteches AM,PM that's it. Still some soreness ****** DAY 23 ****** arrrg April 20th: COMMENTS: REST: MRI Results: "Severe plantar fasciitis with probable medial tear" Boggess:"You really did a number on it", Good news: not stress fracture. Bad news: "worst case of PF I've ever seen"... boot 2 more weeks. Lets get the edema under control. April 28th- Water running W/O EXAMPLE: COMMENTS: 2 hour Water "long run" with Interval Ladder in first 40 min. easy/hard= 1+1; 1+2; 1+3, 1+4, 1+5, 1+4, 1+3, 1+2, 1+1 then LR effort for balance of 2 hrs MAY 6TH.. PROGRESS: COMMENTS: Nice out. ran down all hills and up a couple. Foot ok running with boot. With Tory Foot still bit sore when squeeze heel. Can walk on heels on carpet barefoot w/o pain. Still some soreness there (level 1) Mid May started wearing boot mornings only run/walk recovery progressing to run Mid May to early July. By July 8th PF soreness was gone. This was my struggle this year. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Spareribs, if it helps, I also speak (old) Dallasite....spent my first 19 years in 75209. SWAL