Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 1.27.18 (Read 38 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

in a light mizzle that turned into a drizzle and then steady rain. 

<<<(envy/envy/envy)>>>>

Not eve a mizzle around the PNW to makes things interesting outside today so I went to the Saturday AquaFit I'm kind of getting to like. Everything but swingng'n stretchin' the arms/shoulders is too easy to bother with so today, instead of the leisurely warm-u jogs around the pool with everyone else, I shortened my underwater stride, increased the cadence and raised up my legs as high up as possible on every step and then did one-legged laps  on each leg. Now that got me tired. And to think our ski coach had us one-leg hopping up all twelve stories of the dorm back in the good ol' days.  However, with only 4 men in the class and the teacher being the better gender too, I'm sure not feelin' sorry for TomW's pool running any more at all, not at all.  Show me that water!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker I am always impressed at how good newspaper recipes often turn out. My go to is the Wall Street Journal. But that may be because it is the only paper I subscribe to. 

enkephalin if you have a valid drivers license and you are just traveling in the US I do not see why you would have a problem flying around.

bioguy how people teach classes like you do, day-in and day-out with a constant set of things for you to grade is beyond me. I go bonkers just teaching my courses twice a week.

SteveP glad to see you back in the daily more or less daily.

I got in my 19 mile run today with 5 at (pathetically slow) marathon pace. If you want to see the route the relive video is at https://www.relive.cc/view/g17383379936. There are no pictures. Just shows my route. Next week I am going to shoot for 22 then start getting ready to taper for the Mesa AZ marathon.

In food news, I made shakshuka with this recipe https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/shakshuka-51220220. It is one of my favorites and I make it frequently. What I do is make everything but the eggs. Then store the base in the refrigerator. During the week I will take some of the base and microwave it. While it is reheating I poach a couple of eggs (3:30 minutes) and then put them into the now warmed up base. Really good and quick breakfast. Sure beats cereal!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

7.3  @ 8:00

Thought I was going slower but I guess muscle memory from yesterday kicked in, so I just went with it.

Tet; my martial arts experience is running related! In college I wanted to improve my hurdling for steeple, so I thought I should do some cross training in something that involved controlling my body in space (coordination). Either dance or martial arts, and I took martial arts. The instructor had his own school outside of the university, and I joined that. He was an Olympic TaeKwonDo contender. His school was 20th century martial arts, incorporating modern techniques and "martial" arts with ancient ones; there was Kung Fu, Karate, Jui Jitsu, and of course TaeKwonDo, even boxing. Each belt level had a weapon to master, and being a 20th century school, the weapon for Black belt was a handgun. I got about two levels below Black before I left/moved/whatever. I became friends with the instructor and would visit with him when I was in town, he was supportive of my running "career" and would come to some of the meets at Hayward.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Late post, busy day. 40 minutes on the elliptical using my 2 easy/2 moderate/2 hard pattern, ending with "easy" and I think it might've been too much. Leg was a little sore afterwards. Then went to my office to do some cleaning/filing/purging and then shopping, then pick up DH and we came home. Seems like a busy day that flew by... Tomorrow will be back in the pool.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

the weapon for Black belt was a handgun.

some of the meets at Hayward.

I was in the shorinji style and, since karate means “empty hand”, no weapons of any kind but just as they’ve added all sorts of colored belts over here instead of the stark black-and-white over there in those days, I shouldn’t’ be surprised that some are including guns over here but I’m sure not over there. . . or am I?

ps - one of the highlights of my running “career” was circlin’ Hayward in my orange/and/yellow waffle stompers during the Boomer reunion at Eugene Marathon no. 1, . . . but then I went and ruined it by doing it again barefoot, . . . or was it the other way around ruining it?  Actually, both made both better. Did any of you guys in NikeWorld down there ever get to run barefoot around Hayward or was it too sacrosanct?

Either way, they were the laps of a lifetime

No wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Hi,

Ran 14 miles today. I had a loop planned out and estimated it at 15 which is what I wanted to run today. Just one mile short. Suppose I could have run another mile but it was getting late in the afternoon and I was pressed for time to get home, showered, eat something and then to a 6:00 showing of The Post with DH.

so 14 it was.

Tammy