Masters Running

Monday, Monday, 5.23.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin’ everyone.

Belated Congrats on your Saturday 5K, Dave - well done!

Twocat, you know it’s not nice to mess with Mother Nature. I was thinking this morning that i feel very deprived, with not a single underpass to be found on any of my workout routes, regardless of distance.

Mike, our rain barrels are purchased and donated to us by our local water company. There are plenty of online directions for making rain barrels. Here is one that looks pretty good and easy:  http://www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/tools/make-a-rain-barrel-save-water/

Holly, congrats on checking off another marathon, and on meeting up with your SS, as well as with the RAers. Congrats also to Aamos and Evanflein for their AG hardware. It sounds like it was a great weekend and meet-up all around.

WC, the soda can rain barrels aren’t my favorites either. But they are all painted by 8th grade art students at the local middle school and we don’t dictate what they should paint. However, we may ask the art teacher to try to steer her students away from soda cans next year. I had heard that Colorado had prohibited the use of rain barrels, which makes no sense. All they do is enable you to collect rain water that is falling on your property so you can use it on your property when it is dry. I could understand if someone were collecting and hoarding thousands of gallons, but rain barrels only hold about 50-60 gallons of water, which is less than you'll get off a typical roof in even a moderate rain.

Tet, congrats on the running store gift cert., and the impromptu and surprise meet-up with goddess Enke. Congrats also on besting IMF’sGF and showing who’s boss.

Congrats on a great race in the heat, Jlynne. Having to race in heat without having plenty of time to adapt to it scares me too, but you did pretty dang good. Nice biking cool-down too.

Congrats to you too, Enke for the well-earned 2nd place AG hardware! It’s true that you never (or hardly ever) know who you are chasing in a race, so staying focused and racing your own race is always a good plan. Funny that you were that close to winning both the Women’s and Men’s AG.

Since I skipped my workout yesterday, there was no SRD for me today. So I got up a little early and went 7.25 quick RW miles. I was channeling Maria Mitchta-Coffee (one of the country’s fastest race walkers who qualified for the Olympic 20K this year) because she has such a dang quick turnover rate that I’d love to be able to emulate. It was a nice morning to be out with temps in the upper 40s, a clear sky, and a mostly fool moon still high in the sky as daylight was sneaking up from the other side of the planet. My legs were a little fatigued after the workout, but in a satisfying kind of way.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

Good morning Jay and all to follow on this Monday, which happens to be the birthday of several friends, including our own La Tortuga!

I really like those rain barrels and we should have one. Would make watering much easier. We have plenty of water, but it's very high in iron so smells funky after it sits, and it stains the house. Rainwater would be much better for the flowerbeds by the house.

We made it to Minneapolis yesterday, just in time for our opening reception which we left early to meet up with my cousins! Haven't seen one of them for about 20 years, and she is the same sweetheart as always.

Long drive after a marathon, and I was pretty stiff when I finally unfolded myself out of the car. Green Bay was fun and it was so fun to meet Jeanne, and see Holly, Amy and Starr again and to meet Holly's stepsister. The day was warm, but not really too hot before noon. The biggest issue I dealt with was the concrete roads we were on. I kept thinking how Wildchild would just hate this course with all the concrete. We did have a bike path stretch on asphalt which was better, and you could run on the side where it was a crushed rock path, but for the most part it was a lot of concrete and my feet are sore. Three blisters on the right foot and a sore right hip (probably from adjusting stride due to foot pain) are my lingering effects, but it's all pretty minor. Will walk around here today, not sure if I'll run.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Birthday, LaT!!

No run for me this morning, but I did have 6-1/4 miles yesterday.  Started out in a slight drizzle, which was just enough to make it nicely humid once it stopped.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday LaT!!! Enjoy your day!

Congrats to all the racers this weekend! I perused the last several days worth of dailies that I've missed and by the looks of it, everyone has done well!  I would do a bunch of shout-outs, but I'm afraid I would forget someone since I didn't take notes as I read through all the dailies. 

how many miles will Mike run today?  You are probably ready for a new pair of shoes after running 5 marathons eh?

I got in a few runs over the weekend: 2 mi with the dogs Saturday morning, 5 miles in the afternoon and 6 miles on Sunday afternoon.

Tammy

Dave59

I know 70's and blazing sun isn't easy, but at least it wasn't upper 80's with ambulances zipping by.

I ran 5 this morning.

I think the cats (we have 2 of them) had friends over last night while I was asleep. The litter box was pretty full this morning, there were a couple piles of puke downstairs, and I found plastic wrapping in the hallway (the kind that would be around the top of a bottle.)  Did they find it in the trash, or on the counter, or did their friends bring a bottle of something over?

Happy birthday La Tortuga!

TammyinGP the answer is easy! Mike E will run 26.2 miles today, same as always. 

coastwalker I was up at what I thought was a way too early to be up hour and it was light out. Your schedule would kill me! That I would have to get to sleep early and miss Sesame Street. 

evanflein driving after a marathon is always no good horrible! Flying too. I know I need a couple of days to recover before I can sit bolt upright for hours.

Today marks three days of running in a row for me. Something I have avoided for years in fear of regenerating my hamstring tendinosis from years ago. But, for a couple of reasons I decided to "risk" it. Not that there was much risk given my current mileage. One reason for going out was to play with my new toy. For my birthday, way back in February, my SIL bought a Sensoria anklet for me. It comes with specially designed socks, that the anklet attaches to. The socks finally arrived. I charged up the anklet yesterday and decided to give the whole thing a spin. Well, if my first experience is typical of what I can expect going forward, this technology is not ready for prime time. I fell like an alpha tester. No that is not a typo. By the time you are at beta stage the system should work just fine most of the time. This morning the anklet lost it connection to the phone app after about 2 miles. So far as I can tell, once the anklet drops you cannot get it to reconnect without stopping the phone app and starting a new run on it. Then just after 4 miles the phone app died too.  By then I had given up on the whole thing. Fortunately, I had my Garmin on. I have written to Sensoria, we will see if I get any kind of a response.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hey, I won a 50 dollar gift card for Nordstrom today!  From a raffle I entered at the race yesterday.  No sales pitch associated with it, for real. Cool....maybe I should do more of these 5Ks!  And I need new clothes...  Not that 50 dollars at Nordstrom will go that far...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Enke - trade ya your $50 Nordstrom for our shoe one.
                  grand finale for a great PR day for you.
                  Five lethargic morning cyclemute miles still basking in sharing a second place AG placement in yesterday’s 12K with enke doing the same in her 5K.  However, she not only finished ahead of 13 other runners (instead of my no one) but was also only seven seconds out of first place (vs the twenty-three minutes I was out of the running), to say nothing of her getting her highest lifetime AG in increasingly more competitive events that almost always have more women than men in the running. Congratulations!
                  It’s too bad running events can’t do like triathlons and magic mark ages and divisions on calves to make it a little more interesting when you realize you’re closing on someone in your AG or they are trying to pass.   I sure didn’t like everyone knowing how old I was in my sixties but, at 73, I need every excuse I can get.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

8 hour drive home today left me a bit stiff, but not bad.  Very little in the way of after-effects, other than some stiffness and fatigue - very cool.

Enke - you can find a lot of treasures on the clearance racks at Nordstrom, if you peruse carefully, and you have a couple of seasons to use your card.

Why did I not know Tet is married?  I must admit to feeling a stab of jealousy...

DH was sick over the weekend with stomach flu (I am a little grateful I was away) so nothing was done around the house, and I am busy doing laundry and dishes and grocery shopping and such.  It was a fabulous weekend, but still it will be nice to sleep in my own bed tonight.

My heart is feeling so full after the weekend of wonderful meet-ups.  You know, you RA folks are really the greatest!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Twocat, cute avatar, need to see you running 3 days in a row and funny about your new toy.

Holly, welcome back home. Sorry to hear that your DH is sick. Enjoy your post marathon recovery this week.

Erika, great job on your marathon. Congrats on your AG and for achieving your target time.

Aamos, I just love you!

Tetsujin, I just enjoy reading your posts so much. Glad to hear that you had the chance to see Enkie. Did you have a chance to meet MBE?

Enkie, way to go with your race. Enjoy your gift certificate.

This picture makes me smile.

I have a very nice long day at work today.  I feel like I accomplished a lot. I ran 5 miles wit the EP, then a mile alone to get to 6 miles.

A gorgeous day here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tet missed meeting MBE by about 5 minutes.  MBE did bike (of course) there to watch me cross the finish line.  Nice to have that support.  And thanks for the kind words, Tetsujin.  We will have to find a small race that gives out AG ribbons!

Nice to see the Green Bay runners had a great meetup.  I am looking forward to more RA meetups soon...

It's too bad our numbers have shrunk here on RA masters.  There used to be so many more people on this forum.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Why did I not know Tet is married?  I must admit to feeling a stab of jealousy... 

'm missing where you saw Tet was married? I think that would be a surprise to many, especially Tetsujin!

Have fun with that gift certificate, Enke! Nordies has some awesome sales sometimes....

i was going to go run today, thinking the fitness room downstairs but then decided I needed a break more than anything, so took a nap with DH after his meetings and before dinner. Good choice.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - yesterday Enke said this:

Tet's wife won a 50 dollar gift certificate to a running shoe store.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Ha, I missed that for sure!