Masters Running

Saturdaily, 11.23.19 (Read 39 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It's a feeling of dread like approaching major surgery.  It really is.  Of course, afterwards I'm happy as can be that I did it!   

Given my ridiculous pre-race anxiety about ANY race, even those of absolutely no consequence, I'm not sure I can do races anymore. 

KSA - I guess I have the opposiste idea but, kind of like I kind of like being scared spitless standing waist-deep waiting to swim out into the middle of some lake I could never do on my own, or overcoming the worst possible weather making a marathon even more daunting it’s fantastic that you feel the same as you did 40 years ago about races that aren’t even that significant anymore. Embrace it as long as you can.

ps - neat half marathon half medal.
    What did the half t-shirt look like?

pps Tom - your Y lobby kind of sounds like the swim-bike T-1 transition area in early triathlons. It has nothing to do with my liking triathlons so much but, in Japan, the running magazines advertised a kind of goofy, wrap-around poncho for privacy in changing but nobody cared and, even though I’m a nice guy and don't think I ever looked, I never saw one.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Last Tuesday, I noticed a couple of small trees down and saw the tell-tale chips and tooth marks of (assumedly) busy beavers.   On Thursday's run, a larger tree was down, half blocking the trail.   On this afternoon's run, that tree had been chopped up into smaller bits (more chips telling why) the trail was clear and they now have a two-stage set of dams built on the creek, creating a stair-step series of two small, deeper areas in the creek leading to the lake.   Fascinating stuff.   Last winter, they did a similar construction at the same spot.   The water backed up and got near some homes...the city had to bring in a backhoe to take the dams down.   Busy beavers are back...will be interesting to see how high they make the dams and what the water does.

Pretty cool.  Hopefully the water won't back up enough to cause anyone problems and the busy beavers can keep their hard-earned homes.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I braved the 24c weather shirtless, cuz that's how I roll.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - That's scary!!  So happy Marley is safe.

Indeed!  Did she fall through the ice?  Or just run across the top of it? Scary stuff either way.

Marathon Maniac #957

Yummy looking cake, Holly. Did you use the option to make the icing less translucent and thicker? I think it was using milk instead of the lemon juice, but now I don't remember.

No, it actually became more translucent as it cooled,but that picture was taken right after I poured the icing.

pfriese

Well, I finished!  It was sort of an ugly day- 49 and gloomy and we had a few drizzle episodes during the Monkey Half and then harder drizzle when I finished.  The finish area was pretty muddy.  I think the course was a little short, but Garmins don't measure quite right in the park, so who knows?  My Garmin got 12.78 and Apple watch got 13.  Apple watch is supposed to be more accurate, so I'll go with 13.  Just under 2:30, which is slow but given the hills and the walking on them, I'll take it.  At times this race looks like a walking event.  They don't do age groups, so nothing to worry about there.  I'm so glad it's over.  I was mainly by myself, but did run with a woman for a couple of miles then I got ahead of her.  Did I mention this is DONE!  Given my ridiculous pre-race anxiety about ANY race, even those of absolutely no consequence, I'm not sure I can do races anymore.

I didn't realize that the half Monkey was on a Saturday. That is much more doable for me than the Sunday race. I hope it was a success for Trent (& the park) and that he will be able to put on the half again next year. Penciling it into my next year's race schedule now. I thin under 2:30 is a great time.. those are some serious hills in that park. Congrats & maybe I'll see you there next year.

I'm still having a hard time getting on a regular running schedule & instead have been utilizing the bicycle to nowhere in the evening. I did receive the email that sign-ups for Pike's Peak would start on January 1. I'm pretty sure I'd like to do the marathon. So, I'll start putting a training plan together & that should motivate me to get outside even if it's ugly weather.

Paul