Masters Running

La Palma 4th of July 10K RR (Read 239 times)

huskydon

A happy Fourth of July to all of you! I'm learning how hard it is to set a time goal when the temperature is uncertain. I had hoped to break 50 minutes and ran well, finishing in 49:33 (7:58.5/ mi). La Palma is one of many “La” communities here in Southern California. Some of the others are La Mirada, La Puente, La Crescenta, La Canada, and La Habra. (Is that why people call this place la la land?). La Palma’s Run For Fun 4th of July 5K/ 10K is a well organized community event. There is a pancake breakfast that EVERYONE seems to participate in. A tremendous number of volunteers (sporting red t-shirts) were helping. There were 208 10K and 334 5K finishers as well as 125 walkers. The course is flat with two loops for the 10K’ers. The 5K start is ahead of the 10K start, so the 10K people have to do the bob and weave for the first quarter mile or so. The temperature today was ~70 deg. For the first 10-15 minutes we had cloud cover, and that was great. After that the sun came out, but it wasn’t overpoweringly bright though. I had raced In the heat a couple weeks ago and the last two miles, I kinda melted. Today, I determined to save something for the last two miles, to try to have more footstrikes per minute and to be mentally stronger at the end. I was fairly successful. My splits: 7:47 7:54 16:00 (miles 3 & 4, where’s that mile marker?) 8:08 9:43 (last 1.2 miles, 8:00/ mi pace) After the first loop, I was a bit startled to hear “nice going Don” or something like that. I didn’t know who it was, but after the race, I had a nice chat with the runner formerly known as arc918 . He ran well and won his AG. In the last half of the race, I passed three runners and two passed me. I had been following and gradually closing on Mr blue shirt for the final two miles when I finally passed him with about 1/3 of a mile to go. I didn’t really pay that much attention to him after that, I was more focused on beating 50. But with 50 yards to go, he went by me by quite a few steps. I actually think his intent was to beat me. I don’t know what came over me then, but I unleashed a furious sprint and managed to edge him by about a foot right at the finish line! Makes me think I am not leaving it all on the course if I can do that! For my efforts, I was rewarded with 11th place in my AG (instead of 12th) and the enormous urge to upchuck. But finally it went away and the two combatants shook hands and congratulated each other. My officemate’s son ran the 5K, finishing 2nd in his AG. The awards looked like tote bags or backpacks. Two church friends also ran in the 5K, and I talked to them too. I also ran into a very tall guy who was in lleneforward’s running club. Overall, very pleased with the results today, the 49:33 today is probably close enough to the 48:43 I had a few months ago under ideal conditions. My pacing was better than usual. Most importantly, I feel quite good afterwards and should be able to have a good training run tomorrow or on Sunday. Thanks for reading!
      I really like those splits!! Great job out there. I think if you were on the verge of upchucking, you probably did leave it all out there, almost. But what do I know. Nice that you got to talk to so many friends too.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

DickyG

I think that was a fine effort, Don...looks like you really put it all on the line during the final stretches...I was also impressed by the way you focused on the runner(s) right ahead of you and picked off some of them. You held on to your pace after the sun came out and even though you made light of it, I'm sure you were proud of the fact that you picked up an additional spot in your age group. Congrats! DickyG
        coastwalker

Hi Don, Congratulations on achieving your goal of an under 50 finishing time! And congratulations as well for finding a strong finishing kick to move up a place in your AG, and to beat the dastardly Mr. Blueshirt! It is always nice to come away from a race feeling stronger and more confident in your running abilities, and that seems to be a residual benefit that you picked up yesterday. Well done! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thats why they call it racing Don. Big grin You did a great job and the urge to beat the guy in front of you is a good way to push yourself. Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice racing HuskyDon and good pacing on your splits. I loved what you wrote about unleashing a kick and I am glad that leaving it all on the course didn't translate into really puking (just the feeling). Smile Great La running Karin/CNYrunner
              Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Nice going and RR Don !! I believe that feeling good after a race is a reliable sign that a new PR is not far away! Congratulations, Francesca
                  Well done Husky. You are as solid as they come.
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

King of PhotoShop

And don't forget that you did this on a reasonably warm day. Even if it wasn't too hot, it's still summer in So. Cal and that is not the best condition for optimum racing, certainly not this summer. And yes, I think everyone has a bit more to kick in at the finish. I often get lazy or lose focus unless I am challenged as you were. I am glad to see you had a chance to unleash your kick and see what you can achieve. Well done. Spareribs
                      hi Huskydon, you did very well yesterday. I ran with arc918 today and he told me you guys met at La Palma. Congrats on your AG placement (you have a tough one to deal with). That's great you poured it on at the end when that blue shirt dude wanted to beat you. Glad you didn't really upchuck. Congrats also to your officemate's son too. I think I know that tall guy you mentioned. Lew says HI to you. Hope to see you at another local race soon. best wishes, Linda
                        Nice racing....and pancakes!
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Way to go, husky. You beat your goal and were able to finish real strong. Congratulations. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

I don’t know what came over me then, but I unleashed a furious sprint and managed to edge him by about a foot right at the finish line! Makes me think I am not leaving it all on the course if I can do that! For my efforts, I was rewarded with 11th place in my AG (instead of 12th) and the enormous urge to upchuck.
                            No, I think if you have the enormous urge to upchuck at the end of a race, you have given it your all. Smile Great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Heck towards the end of a race you take motivation where you can get it. If it is beating the one guy near you go for it! Nice race and great finish.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/