Masters Running

Tuesday 4-23 "Where is everybody?" daily (Read 41 times)

Dave59

Easy 2 this afternoon in cloudy,cool, dry weather.

KSA- I haven’t been sleeping well either (partially old age) but I make up for it with multi naps.

Dave- you’re talking about the city of my birth (Toronto) and the city where I live (Boston). I cheer for Boston but wouldn’t be devastated if Toronto won.

Joe- wise move. Recover well before you do Hanson’s again.

Holly- sounds good. Hopefully no pain on your next run.

Missing yoga this afternoon. Have a dinner/lecture this evening (U. Of Toronto) and saving my energy. Not sure what will be more interesting - the lecture or following the hockey score and who cheers for which team.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the hockey teams and not the actual cities.

Did manage to do 1.8 miles on the work treadmill and my business dinner never happened.  I hope the guy wasn't trying for tomorrow night!  I'm going to see Ryan Hall at Fleet Feet talk about his book, which I'm 81% finished reading.  I've enjoyed it, but it's very, um, Christian.  I'm a church-goer, but anyone who reads this needs to be prepared for about 50% Bible study and 50% running stuff.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dg.

I've been making another effort to catch up... boy you folks are slippery! 

what I remember...

Norm.. I am so sorry about your pup!

KSA.. I usually wake at 2, and am up for 1-2 hours, at least. .  I hate it, though I'm trying (along with trying to fix it) to turn it into a positive experience.   e.g..... later in the day, when I can barely stay awake at work, the idea of just drifting in a warm bed is very appealing.  age?  probably for me.  but life, with possibly a wee bit too much coffee, might  be a part. 

tw, dnaff, Mike.(different subject for you).. :  D.   (can't find the posts).   Seems I either apologize for kicking my boot/shoe/something on the floor, or say hi sweetie, generally thinking it's my cat.   (waiting patiently, as always, for food.  ) 

hi Holly!   so so happy about your DS... congratulations to all of you!

and hi Starr!   we're both starting over to various extents.   mutual support group!   post pictures of your garden, it always looks nice.

Tet, I'll ask her, but she only does international marathons ; ).    hey I was in the PNW.   why didn't you do the wild rogue relay with us ??? 

re RHR.... more later.  it extends into other questions, at least for me.

will skip the rest (a collective sigh of relief!) .      this morning at the purple gym, 12 minutes on the recumbent bike, 5 tm miles, 2 sets on the weight machines. 

'nite all.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Easter, Passover or regular weekend!! Woefully behind here in just a few short days, but now I am off work for the week and then for 2 weeks in Italy!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

10.10 9am talking miles with a Sole Sister -- so good to catch up and run together - our avg pace was 9:59 and we seriously talked the entire time!! My heart loves these runs!!  The rest of the day was great too - saw my sister for a facial, shopped for my trip and then had dinner with 2 friends I spent a lot of time with when our boys were growing up. I am counting my blessings this night!!

Sleep well Masters!!

denise

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post.  Got up with my alarm at 4:20.....then fell back asleep until 5:30.  So instead ran at lunch.  7 miles which included the following interval set:  1600m, 400m recovery, 1200m, 400m recovery, 2 x 800m with 400m recoveries, 400m with 200m recovery then 200m.  They weren't pretty, but they got done.  After work taught spin.  Easier spin than last night.

Tet, I doubt anyone was maxed out (profile didn't call for max efforts).  I was getting them to establish a baseline for sustainable power generation for 3 to 5 minutes.  That area is in muscular development.  Aerobic development happens at max sustainable power for 6 to 20 minutes.  Last but not least are the short bursts of maximum power generation (30 seconds to maybe 2 minutes...or 3 if feeling cruel).  That does muscular endurance.  The students that shared their results with me did well--if I had to guess, above their body weight (which is an important threshold).  One young lady was probably close to 2 watts/lb in her efforts.  I did have several students tell me they did better than they thought they would which I suspected would be the result.

Have a greta night everyone!

Falconfixer

Deez, enjoy Italia!  That was a great 3 years for us (other than the house).  We didn't get to explore as much as we'd like DS#1 was just over a year old when we arrived (and it was during our time there that DS#1 began to exhibit the signs of his autism) plus DS#2 was born there (no dual citizenship though).  So we didn't get around as much as we'd have liked.  Maybe someday we'll get back there.  Best thing I can say:  Even the hospital food was excellent!

5 at ez effort, which is now high 7's, low 8:00's thanks to a week off.

To be clear, I'm 3 degrees of separation from John Fogerty: I know my stepkids, they were midwived by Fogerty's daughter, she knows Fogerty (I assume). There's a picture and note in El Cerrito HS (where my kids go) talking about CCR, and all members except the oldest Fogerty brother went there. I'm 1 degree from Neil Young, though, and he's 1 degree from John Fogerty, so maybe that's a closer link.

Falcon; all this talk of repeats on the track has me lusting for the lanes. Maybe I'll hit it for some "high rep/low weight" workout soon. Something like 12-16 400s with 400 walk/jog interval.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

an amazing likeness

Headed out tonight into cold, damp 45F with NE wind for a clockwise 6.6mi easy. Had to hustle it up at times to warm up, but heard some peepers and a few magnolias showed early buds, so it's only a matter of time until until it's safe to wash the winter tops and store them.

Paula Boot-alegleg (wife) had a few medical appt's, so spent the morning in Passepartout mode, driving and assisting. Planned for the morning away from the office, but a few delays stretched things into early afternoon, so ended up not making it to a few meetings and ghosting the day. Felt very lame duck, and a tad uncomfortable. Had a person ask the other day if I was winding down, I replied..."well, you know that whiteboard that used to have our 3 year plan mapped out in 6mo chunks....did you notice it was erased?". One more succession promotion to get firmed up, and I'm checked out.

Ahh...Italy...we were visiting some years ago and with some downtime in a small and relatively untourist-ee Amalfi town, I rented a scooter to explore a bit. I'm slowly pulling out of the lot, when a strong hand grabs my upper arm from behind, then the rental dude leans in very close to my ear and says in very Italian accented timbre "Hey...do not forget what i told you now...traffic lights, lines and signs -- these are just suggestions to the other drivers!".

....he was right.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thank you, Tramps.
                    Giving the recaps a try on our own really makes us
                    appreciate Coastwalker, Steve and other recappers.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the hockey teams and not the actual cities.

Dave  - spoken like a true hockey fan, . . . I think.

1.5 miles - leisurely one-and-a-half predawn miles to the accompaniment of an avian chorus as I checked out the four nearby pocket beaches all within a four block distance down the street that, because they used to be direct passenger ferry landing landings in the pioneer days, survived the private housing mansion development that, except for three public swimming beaches, has ururped all the rest of the island's 15-mile waterfront.

ps dg - the MM's have all sorts of weird marathons streaks,

even a half-dozen or so who do them barefoot, but does Jeannine

run multiple, e.g. nine?, marathons on different continents (or countries)

and not in the US?  I guess it saves on trying to be a 50-stater.

pps - your Rogue Relay down in Oregon

makes me sorry I'm not a relayer.

Next time, maybe come up

a little further north to Puget Sound.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good evening all, I just skimmed today's posts and can't remember much of it since I fell asleep in front of the fire.  Even though it is getting warm here, our house is pretty cool, bedroom was 64 this morning.  Healing vibes to all those with owies.

i am using the C25K program. To get back into running.  There isn't a lot of running in the 30 minute runs for Week one.  I have been doing doubles so am out there for an hour at least.  I have weeks 1 & 2 done and started week 3 tonight.  I guess I am not a beginner since it does seem quite easy.

That's about all for now, see ya!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

BTY

I know it's technically Wednesday but the sun hasn't risen yet and I won't kick off a daily, especially with nothing exercise-wise to post.  On the subject of not sleeping well, I am an expert...not on how to cure it, but on how to not sleep well.  I have many years of experience, and I think it started when I was getting up at 4:00 or 4:30 to get in my longer runs at the track before work when training for my two half marathons, 10 and 12 years ago.  I really haven't been able to reset the system to sleep regularly past 4:00 or so since then.  This past week has been an exception, as I slept in until my alarm went off, or just before it went off, at 5:15 or so the past few days.  But today I am up at 3:30 with no chance of falling back to sleep.  Turns out that my 6 siblings experience similar (non) sleep patterns.  So is it the early rising and exercising a decade ago, or is that just coincidental?  I dunno. 

My only exercise worth noting from the past few days are my gym workouts both Monday and Tuesday mornings, and a lunchtime walk with my former running training partner Tuesday.  What perfect weather in upstate NY yesterday for exercising!!  5 years ago, a day like yesterday would have seen 20 to 30 runners out on the bike and walking trail near my building including 5 or more of us from my office; Yesterday I saw not a single runner on the path.  Odd.  Eerie in a way.  Where is everyone?

I am the Race Director of the best little 5k and 10k in the area, this coming Saturday.  The 16th Annual Spring Runoff 5k and 10k benefit the St. John's/St.Ann's Outreach Center in the South End of Albany.  Our numbers are way down this year.  When this event first started, it was just about the only running event on the last weekend of April in the Albany area, but now there are so many races of similar size in almost every community around here that it's very hard to maintain participation levels, much less grow them.  In fact, the company we hire to handle registration and finish line services has a handful of other races going on at the same time, and they aren't alone.  We thought last year's event was going to be the final one, but decided we'd do one more and keep our expectations lowered, and so far I've been less stressed out about it than in past years....but Saturday is getting closer...picking up the race shirts today....getting the race bibs tomorrow....pasta dinner and packet pickup Friday evening....and it's all over on Saturday morning.  It's normal, I suppose, but telling, that I am looking forward to it being over.  Directing this race helps me to feel I'm doing something directly for the people in the poorest neighborhoods in this old city - something I wish my own church would get involved in, but leadership doesn't seem to be interested in supporting a Catholic organization, for whatever reason.  Anyway, for anyone lurking out there, today is the last day to register on line for either the 5k or 10k, and after today you can register either at the packet pickup at the Outreach Center on Friday evening between 5 and 7 (stay for the pasta dinner, sponsored by D'Raymonds!) or prior to the race on Saturday morning, which kicks off at the amphitheater at the Corning Preserve in Albany at 9:00 AM sharp.

Brian

Marathon Maniac #957

"Hey...do not forget what i told you now...traffic lights, lines and signs -- these are just suggestions to the other drivers!".

....he was right.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."