Masters Running

Master's Subject of the Day (V) (Read 198 times)

Evr wanted training advice from fellow and not so fellow runners? Me too. OK...merely theoretical, of course....a beginner marathoner, let's say has one marathon under his/her belt. This runner finished this marathon on a year's base of 15-20 miles per week. 20 weeks prior to the race began increasing mpw and peaked at 40 mpw for a couple weeks. Had a couple of 20 mile long runs with three or four 18 milers also. The training did not have any tempo or interval sessions. Runner considered the completed race a successful experience. After a month or so lay off this runner gets base back up to 15-20 mpw and is now comtemplating a second marathon about 20 weeks away. Runner is also thinking about adding tempo and intervals to the training schedule as well as upping the peak weekly mileage to 50. Is it time for this runner to add faster paced runs? What othr advice or training would this runner benefit from?
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      Hey how did you know what I was thinking ???? You truly are a mind reader. Big grin By the way I will be in your great state over the holidays. Down near Altus to see my son and his wife. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Hey how did you know what I was thinking ???? By the way I will be in your great state over the holidays. Down near Altus to see my son and his wife. Larry
        I have ESPN Altus is about a 2.5 hour drive from where I live. I do get down there once or twice a month. Nice town.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

#artbydmcbride

Yes, I think that it is time for this runner to add some goal marathon paced miles at the end of a long run once a week. Smile

Runners run

evanflein

Ilene's right. The best "speed work" for this marathoner would be some goal MP runs. The 3:1 approach is good for this... doing the first 3/4 of the mileage at regular long run pace, then the last 1/4 of the run at MP. (so for 12 mile run, 9 miles at long run pace, last 3 at MP, etc) Also, some steady state MP runs are good to have in there, 7-9 miles usually. If any "interval" work is desired, best results would be from longer intervals (800 min). I do half mile or mile repeats, personally.