Masters Running

Sunday, October 4th runs and such (Read 502 times)

Walt  - you're killing me.  Too funny.  I'm going to start calling baby Nate "Leo".  It's too confusing with him having the same name as his father anyway, so that is a brilliant solution.

I have to admit here that Tramps'  run today was not too different from mine.   I decided to just go for it and lived to regret it.  Wheels feel off at 20.  But I knew that was the risk, and I'm neither overly surprised nor too upset about it.

I did manage goals #3 and #4 which were:

• BQ for 2011 (when I will age up)
    • Finish Part One of the October 2009 quest to enter the asylum

4:09:35

This is a beautiful beautiful marathon.  We were surrounded by gorgeous hills the whole way, but didn't actually have  to run up or down many of them.  Perfect. 

Now we're off to visit the Corning Glass museum before it closes.

Later, guys.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

dg.

PBJ, WTG!

Walt,  Big grin

Ribs, I'm so happy about your race yesterday. 

Holly, thanks for passing on that info from Karin.  Big grin.     going to be tough filling her shoes.  :-).      Nice run yesterday!  hope your IT tenderness goes away.

Did Lou use a straw or just flip the baby upside down?  surprised he wasn't busted sooner!   

Tramps, like Rosie said.

Rosie, nice 16 miler.    See You Soon SmileSmile

Jlynne... I almost mentioned to you that I got brussel sprouts at the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago.  yum.

Doug, that's great!   I was wondering how you were doing during my run this morning.  

oops.  mta....   guess they let Lou finish.      way to BQ!!!!

My last pre-taper run went better than I expected.  plan was for 2 miles @recovery pace, 10 at MP (no idea what that is, thought I'd try for 9:40) & 2 more at recovery pace.  (Time/pace does NOT include fuel stops, & one shoe change) Ended up with 14.14 miles (Carolyn, just for you), 9:38 average pace, 8:28 max.  Miles were 10:12, 9:38, 9:32, 9:27, 9:29, 9:20, 9:34, 9:33, 9:36, 9:35, 9:38, 9:35, 9:44, 9:48. 

another mta.... Harriet, the wheels fell off but you still BQ'd.  wtg,  I'm really happy for you.   best of luck on the quest.  Seems like it's in the bag.  Smile

Mariposai

Harriet, you so rockkkkkkkk. A BQ and still left enough in the tank for the second gate to the asylum. Way to go girl!

I am so proud of you.

And our own Karin had a magnificent race as well. First Masters wow!!!! We WILL toast for this in NYC.

Lou, that hard working training is sure paying off. Congrats to you as well.

Ksrunner had a great race in Portland, 3:00:20 and 2nd in AG. His wife BQ'd as well.

I can't wait to see how dievechief did.

Now I am off to run my LR of the day. It is so windy out there today  that I almost want to not run today, but my  heart, soul and mind need to run.

Holly, wise move on your part. You already did your LR yesterday and it is taper time, right?

Great run to breger today as well.

Where is Erika?

DG, you are going to surprise yourself with your first marathon. You paces are looking sooo good!!!

Thanks for your guys' caring notes. You all are the best supporter I need right now. What next? que sera, sera...(what will be, will be). All is in God's hands.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Ooops. I bagged the babies' names. The Beers' grandchild is Nate, not Leo.

Sounds like a great day for all of you up there.

Walt

No problem, Walt -- it's all good.  Smile

We opted out of the Corning Glass Museum @ $12.50 per person -- museum closes at 5:00 and we showed up there at 3:45.  But we did visit the gift shop.  Some really beautiful stuff there.  Maybe some day I'll learn how to work glass -- <sigh> 

Nancy - so sorry to hear your news.  Tough times for many of us.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Karin, congratulations!!!  Great job.

I finished the Smtutynose HM in Hampton, New Hampshire today.  Good conditions - overcast and 60 degrees, although a little muggy. It was harder than I expected, but still fun.  My time was about 2:35, but I was hoping for 2:30.  My running partner volunteered at the race, so she got to hand me my medal as I crossed the finish line!  That was cool.  I felt a little faint after the race, and since I didn't see any benches or chairs, I went to the medical tent to rest for a moment.  I think they were happy to have a "patient!"  My RP said she was very impressed that without exception,  all 1700+ runners finished without looking as if they were going to pass out!  Different than the10K race we did in August, where quite a few people struggled. 

Now off to see a movie with DH.  I hope I can keep my eyes open!  :-)

congrats, Teresa.  I'm glad you recovered quickly.  (BTW:  We love smuttynose beer - as you might imagine).

CNYRunner had a great race today!   It was pretty thrilling to hear them call her name for her first place Master's finish award.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

wildchild

Carolyn

Woo hoo!  "Karin B. Qualifier" won 1st woman masters!  Awesome job!  And BQs for WRFB and PDR (for 2011). WRFB, looks like the beer really helped you maintain even splits.PDR, guess you should have had some too! Beer keeps those wheels on, or so I hear.  Tramps, maybe you should try it too.

Congrats to Teresa for a sucessful half, and to PBJ assuming that the "a-little-more-than-26-mile run" was a marathon???

I took the dogs for a 7 mile run. I was planning to drop them at home and go back out for a few more, but it was snowing lightly and my hands were freezing when I got home, and a hot shower sounded better than putting on gloves and going back out. Yeah, I'm a wuss.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Awesome races out there for so many! Now we know WRFB's secret... hmmm, might have to try that. 

I've been really busy, so just skimming the boards today, but I really have so much more to do before my trip. I did get out for a nice tempo run yesterday (5 miles, 7:48 avg pace, each mile faster than the one before), and the 2.2 mile trudge up the hill wasn't too bad either at 8:30 avg (actually, I don't think I've ever done those two miles that fast before!), for 7.2 miles for the day. Then spent the rest of the day cleaning the garage and finishing up a bunch of yard work. Can't believe the weather we're having! Our lawn and yard has never looked so "ready" for winter, it's great.

Today wasn't as sunny as yesterday, but it still was nice enough, low 40's temps and no rain. Headed out for my last long run before RVM, goal was 12-14 miles at easy pace after yesterday's tempo and yard work. Well, first mile was sub 8, and it went along from there...

Mile 1 7:59

Mile 2 7:59

Mile 3 8:00

Mile 4 8:08

Mile 5 8:10

Mile 6 8:11

Mile 7 8:04

Mile 8 8:07

Mile 9 8:10

Mile 10 8:07

Mile 11 8:09

Mile 12 8:02

Mile 13 8:27 (heading back up the hill to home)

Mile 14 8:35

I have no idea where these paces are coming from...

Mariposai, my heart goes out to you and your staff. That just really sucks, especially after all the recognition you've gotten for your work. Seems like when times are tough, the wellness initiatives should be strengthened and reinforced, not cut. Just doesn't make sense...

WOOOHOOO!!!  KARIN, LOU and HARRIET!!  JUST AWESOME!!

deb, erika, tramps -- great runs!!

Tramps -- i'll be doing the 1/2 at baystate -- hope to see you there - are you going to the expo the day before?

Teresa - a few of my MVS friends were there today too -- sounds like a great race!!
                      Walt - your faux RR was a scream!!

mariposai - have to read yesterdays posts but know i'm thinking of you!

did the breast cancer walk on the Charles River today -- so inspiring!!

grrrrrrr - i am so annoyed with myself tho -- just realized i signed up for a race that i thought was on sat next weekend but is actually sunday and i'm doing one on monday as well -- only a 5k sunday and 10k monday but it's the driving involved for each that makes it annoying!!  oh well ........ could be worse i guess!!

denise

You all are just the best!

Arrived home at 7:30---feasted on Mr. CNYrunner's culinary fare and now I am in my jammies and will sleep soon----on a plane at 7:45 am tomorrow. Marathon or no, Monday arrives just the same.

Walt!  Genius race report. 

WRFB and PDR are wonderful and awesome----also about 18 years-old or something in person. Yeesh! Seriously, great to see you several times over the weekend and get to enjoy Corning together. Good running you two.

I'll write a race report later--too tired now and it's a good airport waiting activity anyway. I had great fun and even though I fell off pace at the end, I am no less thrilled especially after being injured and starting at zero again in April. First overall masters woman meant $150 and a huge bottle of champagne---paid the hotel bill and then some and I'll have to plan for a celebration later---maybe NYC with Maraposai  ((((((Maraposai)))))) we will celebrate indeed! They pulled out the first 6 overall women (a 41 and 43 year-old in there) I was 7th woman overall and first in the 40-49 age group without the other two.

More soon and it looks like many great runs and races this weekend and more to come in the coming weeks.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great races for all, even if the early reports were in the daily 

Even if Mari did ask nicely, I still have to mention how sorry I am to hear you're out of work.  I have no doubt that you'll land on your feet in a better spot.  Good luck.

Too late a start for me--now it's bed time.  RR reading tomorrow

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I have enough equipment in my garage that I can mix it up a little and that helps.  I'm thinking about moving a TV out there......and while I'm at it I may as well move our old couch out there too.   Whats a man cave without a couch and a TV ? 

Slo - Today we bought me a 32" flat screen and blu ray player for the Workout Chick / Budding Artist (The Hub) Cave.  With everything else, all it lacks is a personal masseuse!

Walt - Great race report.  Thanks for the

Today was my last day to be a total slouch.  Tomorrow, it's back to the grind/running stone.  Yesterday in Arcata (home of Humboldt State University), they had the annual "Pastels on the Plaza."  People pay $XX for a section of sidewalk (many are sponsored by local businesses), and they draw pics in chalk.  It runs in a big square.  The Hub and I went today to see the artwork.  A lot of the pics are fantastic in their detail.  Here are a few photogs.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Did 10 miles  today, the last 5 into a strong headwind. R leg has been having shin splint issues. I've been running with an Ace bandage last couple of weeks which seems to help. Legs were still a little tired from last week's 20 miles. As leg was pretty tender, I did no running this week. Bought new shoes last week.  My standby Mizuno Wave Renegades have been re-designed with a new last--did not fit well at all. I bought a pair of Wave Nirvana's and will break them in before MCM on the 25th. Now that I am into taper, I'm thinking (hoping?) that my shin will chill out.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nancy, I am soooo very sorry Dear. But it is very important to remember that you are not the only one that is going through this.....that has helped me along the way. You my Dearest will be in my thoughts, and Girl........keep running, as that has made the difference for me.----Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!