Masters Running

RR of newbie/turtle/boomer (Read 180 times)

lswife

I had two goals this morning: #2 was to finish, #1 was to beat my last time. I made #2. More storms were on the horizon here in central Indiana, and I almost stayed home. When I turned on the TV to see how close/how strong the storms were, an athlete training for the Olympic trials was being interviewed and said, "Athletics are 90% mental..." and went on to say she had to get her head into it too. Well, ouch, then I decided to go ahead and run. Dark clouds overhead, sprinkles, gusty winds, distant thunder, and humidity of at least 80% made the 5K seem like it was 10K. I ran, and when my foot (PF) began hurting, I'd walk. Until the 1.5m marker, I was regretting every step, but then I got into some kind of groove (got my head into it) and had fun. I finished, 1 minute slower than the Indy 5K on May 3, and not last. Two women were walking behind me, and whenever I heard their voices, I'd run for a bit! Overall, even with the foot pain and humidity, the race was quite motivating. I'm a newbie, having only begun running in Feb 07 after retiring and being too comfortable on the couch. The PF sidelined me for a bit, and I'm having to repeat the C25K program. I'm also a turtle, ever so slow, but my husband (my biggest cheerleader) told me I was at least out and doing it and going faster than anyone over 40 in our extended family (no, we're not an "athletic" bunch at all). And I'm a boomer, age 60, and a bit round. I was also diagnosed as type 2 diabetic last summer, so running is fun and helps delay health complications.

King of PhotoShop

I hope that you will continue to run and improve and enjoy this sport. Your husband is telling you the truth. You are out there doing something, which is much more than most people do, and you should rightfully take some pride in that. Also, on this forum, you are a runner. You are not a housewife, you are not round, you are not old, you are not a slow jogger. You are none of those things. You are a fine runner, just as we are. There is no difference among the people on this site. Speeds differ, ages differ, objectives differ; but we are all runners and we care about the efforts of our friends here. Keep working at it, ice that foot after your workouts, and continue to improve. We will continue to watch you and support you. Spareribs
      pfriese

lswife, Listen to spareribs, he is wise. Congrats on your race and for getting out there. Glad you are perservering thru PF. Thanks for sharing with us as the 90% rule is true. Paul
        HermosaBoy

I hope that you will continue to run and improve and enjoy this sport. Your husband is telling you the truth. You are out there doing something, which is much more than most people do, and you should rightfully take some pride in that. Also, on this forum, you are a runner. You are not a housewife, you are not round, you are not old, you are not a slow jogger. You are none of those things. You are a fine runner, just as we are. There is no difference among the people on this site. Speeds differ, ages differ, objectives differ; but we are all runners and we care about the efforts of our friends here. Keep working at it, ice that foot after your workouts, and continue to improve. We will continue to watch you and support you. Spareribs
          Well put Ribs!!! Big grin Stick with this sport lswife -- it is something so personal that can be shared with so many! When you are trying to improve YOUR time, it is amazing what you can do! Congratulations on having the courage to toe the starting line and the strength of will to cross the finish line!!! A fine runner indeed.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Roberta - great job on getting out there and racing - something that I wimp out on on an all-too-regular basis. Sorry about the PF. Glad you started; more glad you finished; even more glad you weren't last - LOL - and super glad that you took time to post a RR. Ribs - awesome reply. You made this old, round, turtle - no, you made this runner get all teary-eyed. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

lswife

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, spareribs, pfriese, and hermosaboy. I'll keep repeating "I AM a runner." Smile
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Roberta--congratulations on running another 5k. I had thought you were still recovering from the PF, but good to hear that it's getting enough better to start upC25K again (and race. Smile ) Take what Spareribs says t o heart--you're in a pretty (sadly) small percentile of folks that are out moving around. And next time--no pain and a PR Big grin Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

You go girl!!!!! Thanks for sharing with us. We all understand your need to run!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Great job, lswife. You get out there and do what only a small part of the population does. You're a runner and a racer. Wear your race t-shirts with pride. Keep on running, racing, and keeping us up to date. Congratulations. TomS
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

WAY TO GO!!! Thanks for the words, Spareribs. I tend to use negative words describing my running to others, also, and I need to stop it! lswife, keep up the great work!